• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: equalizing - how do you do?

Share/Bookmark

equalizing - how do you do?

Hi and sorry if this is not the right place in this forum to ask this question (if I knew the answer it would be easier to decide [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).
    I\'d like to ask the professional compomposers here how they get a warm and \"fat\" sound.
    How do you equalize your wav. files? Of course there is the equalizer fx4. But then? Do you use some softwere (like cool edit) to get it better, or do you (as I suppose) send the wav-file to an external mixer and then back again to the pc? Maybe you have two computers? One to send and one to record? Or is there some other way?
    It\'d be nice of you if you could describe how you are doing, I\'d be very grateful [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Markus.

Re: equalizing - how do you do?

Hm... or could it be it\'s up to the samples to sound that good that you don\'t need to equalize them in a particular way?
    Markus.

Hm... or could it be it\'s up to the samples to sound that good that you don\'t need to equalize them in a particular way?
    Markus.

hups! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Markus,

I think you have asked a question so broad it is impossible to answer.

Once, after producing a sculpture of the Queen an artist was asked how he did it. He answered, \"I started with a large piece of stone and chipped away anything that did not look like her majesty.\"

That, in a nutshell, is how to use EQ.

You will get the best results by rendering each of your tracks to audio files, and using a multitrack editor like Vegas, Samplitude, Cubase, SONAR, Logic, etc., to mix and process your tracks.

The thought that a library should sound \"so good\" it needs no EQ is comforting, but highly unrealistic. Every production has a different \"ground zero\" that defines its unique sound, and every mix is different. This is why great producers and great engineers still make a lot of money. Mixing is an art all to itself. The best thing I can suggest is to search through the archives here, and to seek out books on audio engineering, so that you can learn the basics. Right now, it would be very difficult to teach you all of that in one newsgroup post.

Today\'s successful composer has to possess musical, artistic, production, and engineering skills to compete. That is just a fact of life in our little slice of Entropy.

Hi Markus, as Bruce mentioned EQ is usually best used as a subtractive tool rather than an additive one. In other words, you are usually looking for the frequencies that perhaps make the instrument sound harsh or boomy and attenuating them.

Some very brief \"fattening\" tips are;

try chorus on some instruments (was always good on cheap synths when I was gigging)

try a delay of around 20 to 60 milliseconds between the left and right channel of a stereo sample this will give it a wide effect.

Also, the best way to have something totally in your face is to leave it dry. You can experiment with having a dry upfront sound that also triggers some reverb swells in the background. Something Bob Clearmountain was always a master with for vocals IMHO.

And lastly, try layering patches. Some patches that have a sustain can be layered with a patch that has an attack like staccatto.

SOrry, it\'s late in my neck of the woods. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Scott.

Hi Bruce!
    Thanx for the reply (you\'re right - I\'ll get some books about sound engeneering [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).
    But, sorry I think I wasn\'t clear. I didn\'t want to ask HOW to mix, but what to USE. So I will try to formulate my question more precicely :
    Is it better to use an \"external\" mixer (send the files to the mixer and then back angain to the audio card) or an internal mixer (like Cubase or cool edit)? Or both?
    Thank you.
    Markus.

I think, it would be best, not to leave the digital domain to get the lowest noisefloor possible.

In case you don´t have quality plugins ( Waves f.e. ), but a high quality mixing-desk, then go for the better eq.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by £e petit Prïnçe:
    I think, it would be best, not to leave the digital domain to get the lowest noisefloor possible.

In case you don´t have quality plugins ( Waves f.e. ), but a high quality mixing-desk, then go for the better eq.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Perfect advice. I can\'t add anything to that.

Hi!
    Thanx for your friendly advices!
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But can you please explain me what you mean with:

\"In case you don´t have quality plugins ( Waves f.e. ), but a high quality mixing-desk, then go for the better eq. \"

You mean if I don\'t have any good plugins (to get a better digital sound from the sequencer) I should better use an \"external\" mixer if it has a good quality - am I right?
    Markus.

Go Back to forum