• Register
  • Help

Topic: Amazing Grace (Comments/critique wanted)

Share/Bookmark

Amazing Grace (Comments/critique wanted)

Hi all, here\'s one of my arrangement of this well known and beautifull hymn. Url: http://www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/amazingGrace_finalmix1a.mp3

Arrangement is for:

1 flute
    2 oboe
    2 fHorns
    2 Trumpets
    Timpani
    Strings
    Tubular Bells
    Organ

Reverb - I was trying to apply different amount of reverb per instrument section, to try to manage to create some space. Please let me know if this is completely ridiculus, I\'m rather new at this reverb thing.

Arrangement - Of course any and all comments/critiques etc. are appreaciated.

Libs - Gos Lite, Bob, W-Woodwinds, Gtown organ, tubular bell soundfont (not very good I know).

Btw. There are some strange noise going on which I haven\'t found why is there, maybe you can help. I have only notice it in the home stereo equip at home (not High-end gear!).

So please let me hear what you think!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Amazing Grace (Comments/critique wanted)

In a word, beautiful. One of my favorite tunes, too. Are you a church musician? I grew up doing gospel, and I just love to hear the old hymns orchestrated and done with passion as you have done with this one. I\'ve heard Amazing Grace done 100\'s of differnt ways, but your version is one of my favorites.

On the arrangement, It would be nice include another variation, yet keep the length of the song the same. It goes on maybe a little long before the key change. And when it builds, it could build a little more and come on a little stronger. Of course depending on the listening context, this could be OK.

I\'m not crazy about the intro..that\'s just me.

The strings have a nice airy, transparant sound. In fact, overall, the sound is very good.

Thanks for sharing...hope you get a lot of good feedback

Thanks sporter for your comments!

Yes, I\'m an organist here in Iceland. I love the old hymns and most often I prefer those than the new ones in our hymn book. Maybe I\'m little old fashion type of guy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Again thanks for sharing your comments!

Originally posted by falcon1:
    Thanks sporter for your comments!

Yes, I\'m an organist here in Iceland. I love the old hymns and most often I prefer those than the new ones in our hymn book. Maybe I\'m little old fashion type of guy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Again thanks for sharing your comments!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nice Falcon, it does sound like it\'s a bit in a tunnel though. The chord progressions sound a lot like the ones in the hymnal.

I also love the old hymns, have you ever heard the music from \"SMS\"(Sacred Music Services),\" the Wilds\" and \"Majesty Music\"? I think you would enjoy their music. They\'ve made some orchestrations from the old hymns and also made some very nice original ones. A good example is \"Blessed Assurance by SMS. A full orchestra performs enthusiastically.

Rick

Hi Rick, maybe the cause is that I added different setting of the reverb per section?
    I wasn\'t trying to be very adventurous in the chord progression and I even simplified the progression. However, I was aiming for a build up to a Big and majestic sound in the end.

Thanks for the tip, I will check \"SMS\" out - I have never heard of them before. Always nice to hear good arrangements of the hymns.

Go Back to forum