• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: WHy?

Share/Bookmark

WHy?

I\'m so perplexed. I\'ve started getting a Giga disk streaming error about every 45 minutes. I can\'t figure out what the actual error is, it just says there\'s an error and when you acknowledge the error by clicking \"okay\" - Win XP restarts! Errrrrr. Well, I\'m really not that upset about restarting every 45 minutes. Granted, it\'s a pain in the butt, but I\'ve lived with worse. But what\'s really a pain is trying to reload the samples afterward. I just open the giga set up and everything is great until I get to one of the Kirk Hunter solo strings patches. My Kirk Hunter solo strings take about 20 minutes to load just a few files. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Either problem! Thanks

Re: WHy?

I know this might not be what you want to hear, but I am sure you wouldn\'t be having those problems in Win98SE.

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    I\'m so perplexed. I\'ve started getting a Giga disk streaming error about every 45 minutes. I can\'t figure out what the actual error is, it just says there\'s an error and when you acknowledge the error by clicking \"okay\" - Win XP restarts! Errrrrr. Well, I\'m really not that upset about restarting every 45 minutes. Granted, it\'s a pain in the butt, but I\'ve lived with worse. But what\'s really a pain is trying to reload the samples afterward. I just open the giga set up and everything is great until I get to one of the Kirk Hunter solo strings patches. My Kirk Hunter solo strings take about 20 minutes to load just a few files. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Either problem! Thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Tell us about your system..

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The second problem IS a WinXP issue. This is one of those places where you pay for the extra stability...the allocation of memory is a much more \"scrutinized\" process, in very nontechnical terms.

However, the first issue has nothing to do with XP, and may be a soundcard driver issue. We do need more system specs to help. Can you list all the hardware? Also, are you running any software concurrently with Giga? Any TSRs?

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jeremy, I would strongly consider writing Kirk because you might have a corrupted file for one issue.

None of the XP Giga machines we have in the field are experiecning these issues except for the occassional loading issue where it appears that a program is hanging. I\'ve only seen that one on Vienna.

Email me privately your parts list and I\'ll see if one of my folks can arrange a phone time to walk you through the issues. Or fax it to me if you have the original parts list.

You could have a bad memory stick. And you don\'t hit that bad RAM chip until some time later during the course of your work, then BAM! Windows detects the anomaly, and to preserve the integrity of the data, it reboots itself.

Well Hudson, I know that both Thomas J., Maarten and me are running it on several Win98SE machines and they never crash. Why yours does, I don\'t know but it must have something to do with your configuration or your soundcard/MIDI drivers. Not Windows or GS.

My Kirk Hunter solo strings take about 20 minutes to load just a few files.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Welcom to the ‘GS/XP-problem-land’. (Tickets are free...)

(Well not so free, if I think about it...)

I did a post on it, three month ago. I put it back, I have some thing to say about it. This is the link :

http://www.northernsounds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005066

Regards

The French dyslexic who speaks badly English.

There are three likely causes for the crash problem:
    * bad Gig
    * bad RAM
    * bad Disk

Try running scandisk with a full surface scan. You can probably set your BIOS to do a full RAM check. (This doesn\'t necessarily find any and all RAM problems. If the timing is on edge, you might only get one or two errors per hour - but that\'s enough to ruin your day.) Also, you can try re-copying the gigs from your KHSS disks as a last resort - assuming that the gigs used to work. Otherwise, ask Kirk for a replacement.

As far as loading times go, KHSS is really slow on XP. Lots of RAM helps - my loads are much faster with 1.5G compared to when I had only 512M. And optimizations help, or, at least they felt like they helped.

I\'ve found that optimizing the gigs for my needs and making templates (performance files) really helped. I can then start the computer, load the performance and walk away for a while. When I come back it\'s all ready, with no interactions along the way.

Good luck.

Go Back to forum