• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: running big libraries on a single computer...

Share/Bookmark

running big libraries on a single computer...

well, after lots of thinking(but ultimately with a blank mind) and just as little money with me to buy the EWQL Strings, i placed my order yesterday...i just couldnt control myself anymore....i\'m not a professional musician, i just have a morbid desire to express myself in the musical form...and orchestra drives my mind....

can you guys please let me know if i\'ll be able to run those strings on the laptop with AMD XP-2400 processor with 512mb of ram, with samples on the external 7200 rpm firewire drive....and when i go ahead and buy the other modules, would it make good difference in performence if i put different modules(strings, brass, woodwinds) on different 7200 rpm drives and be able to run them smoothly on this laptop??? as for what i think is that for disk streaming, most of the load is on harddisk reading the samples as fast as it can(so different disks reading different modules would sure give some good performance!!)

and can anybody please explain or give me some link how do you chain different computers to run the whole library using a single sequencer???

thanks

Re: running big libraries on a single computer...

Sorry to sound harsh but 512mb is way too little. You need at least 1GB to do anything \"serious\" - with the strings alone that is.

To \"link\" other PC\'s to your sequencer machine, you could use MIDIOverLAN from www.musiclab.com - much cheaper than getting a MIDI interface for each machine. This way you run the MIDI over you local network - you will need a switch to connect all your PC\'s to, besides a network card in each machine.

I have to agree with Simon. I\'m using a dedicated P4 2.8 with 2GB RAM, and I still want more [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

For multiple machines FX Teleport is also an option. You won\'t even need soundcards in the \"slave\" computers. This has been covered in the East West/QL forum. Read through some previous postings for more info. Check out www.fxteleport.com as well.

Good luck with QLSO! (..and with saving up for new machines, and the other modules. You\'re going to want them pretty soon [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I\'m afraid that you\'d be pretty screwed. The only really viable one-machine solution for any kind of realtime capability is a Giga machine, and you are still eating away at its performance by sequencing/streaming on it. Kompakt performs well, but is significantly more CPU hungry per polyphony/instance, so you will have even less realtime capability and will need to bounce often. The resulting situation, however, is that eventually the CPU and disk resources consumed by the sequencer stream will compete with the needs of the sampler...so as you progress in a piece you will be painting yourself somewhat into a corner.

FREEZE DOES NOT SOLVE THIS!!!!

I realize that some people are under the impression that the makers of Logic actually invented something with freeze, but it\'s not any different than good old fashioned bouncing...and no more a panacea. Just a little more packaged and convenient. You will still eventually reach a point where the shell game collapses.

I think a better approach is to go buy the dirt-cheapest second machine you can afford. This opens up significant options--as I said, in the world of commercial and scoring jobs, you can knock out lots of work on a two-machine rig. In fact, I try to purposefully design virtual ensembles which will fit this method, just because it de-complicates SO much down the line. I saw a $199 barebones at Fry\'s in last weekend\'s paper which would come online with about $300 worth of disk and RAM...not a screamer, but enough to run a sequencer. This won\'t give you as flexible a two-machine rig as a Giga system, but it will give you some machine resources to juggle. Right now, you\'re juggling with one ball, and that is a rather difficult road.

It\'s a nice idea in theory but the Freeze function doesn\'t free up RAM unfortunately. There\'s aso the issue of how many samples can be spooled off a G5s internal disks. There may well be a bottleneck there.

Or, take a trip around the world for a year (maybe two), come back and order yourself a nice silent 8GB ram PC with Giga 3.0 plus a big library already installed and then start making music. The future looks bright.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

there you go...

Hi,

Just to echo what everyone else has said here that you will really need at least another PC to do anything useful. Since you have the laptop already, you would be well-advised to get a second PC (and, preferably, a third) with at least 1 GB of RAM. The laptop could handle your sequencing chores while the PC(s) could handle the instruments.

So many people talking about the G5 with so little real-world experience on one. I am a Mac-user as well as a Windows user and am excited about the G5 also. I don\'t delude myself into thinking that it\'s going to all of a sudden be able to handle everything that we\'ve been using multiple comptuers for to date. Sure, it\'s going to be powerful. We\'ll still want more though... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

FV

So if 1gb ram is basically the minimum, how much of a performance advantage would you see with 1.5 or 2gigs on an \'all in one\' machine? I mean, if you have 2gigs of ram, isn\'t it likely that your hard drives/cpu will get bottlenecked before the ram even reaches capacity?

I know what you guys are saying about a second machine and all, but for the time being that isn\'t an option.

And Alex, at the rate Tascam is going, ya better make that a trip around Pluto and back.
    -Hudson

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Or, take a trip around the world for a year (maybe two), come back and order yourself a nice silent 8GB ram PC with Giga 3.0 plus a big library already installed and then start making music. The future looks bright.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

i dont think i\'ll ever go for the giga....i find kontakt a lot better(though i havent even tried giga [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

and thanks for all the replies...i\'ve looked into the fxteleport and it seems to be a good option...

but can anybody put some light onto something that\'s not computer based(like a USB option). recently somebody told me about a hardware module called creamware which can load the vst instruments and run them by freeing computer from processing power....

thanks

Go Back to forum