• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is anyone achieving disk streaming on a MAC that rivals Giga??

Share/Bookmark

Is anyone achieving disk streaming on a MAC that rivals Giga??

I\'m very glad disk streaming solutions like EXS and Kontakt are popping up on the Mac. My question is how do they stack up performance wise to Giga? Midphase was telling me that he can run 6 instances of EXS with relatively large samples before things start to crackle. If I recall he\'s running a dual 1.5 G4. He\'s also running Logic on the same machine. In any case, that still seems a bit low. He mentinoned a raid config. or SCSI drives would improve performance, but Giga is doing the job well with IDE drives.

I\'d love to hear what guys out there are achieving on the MAC performance and inst. wise. I\'m wondering if there is something inherently limiting in the architecture of the MAC which makes disk streaming less effective.

Is anyone using a MAC for sample playback only, like may of us do with giga pc\'s - no sequencer. That would be an interesting benchmark.

Thanks,

Colin

Re: Is anyone achieving disk streaming on a MAC that rivals Giga??

I think the fastest Mac will stream about half as much as the fastest PC. Ofcourse Logic users can use FREEZE on the Mac!!!!!!

http://www.kicken.com/funnyfiles2/www.kicken.com-bush.x-ray.swf

That sucks. Why is this the case?? Is it the software design or the Mac itself???

Colin

Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    http://www.kicken.com/funnyfiles2/ww...bush.x-ray.swf
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">HaHaHaHa!

I routinely use over a dozen EXS24s in my sessions on a dual gig Mac, and they never crackle. The last cue I mixed also had two stereo->stereo Altiverbs running on top of all that.

Point being, it\'s probably the number of voices more than anything else that determines how much you can squeeze out of one machine.

Oh, and that\'s with the samples on a partition of my internal Ultra ATA 100 drive - no RAID or anything.

Nick,

Do you use Vienna, Sonic Implants Strings or any of the other larger, more demanding libraries?? How many voices would you say you achieve total? Do you use gigastudio as well, if you how do you compare the performance?

I\'d love to know exactly what people are achieving perf. wise with Vienna and EXS on a Mac. That would be a clear benchmark to a giga pc.

Thanks,

Colin

No, Scores4, not yet. That\'s a whole \'nother kettle of fish. Some of what I use streams, but I think you need a separate machine for the big libraries.

But I\'m waiting to see how I do with the Logic Freeze command in v.6 before I take the leap. At least, that\'s what I\'m thinking this second.

On the other hand, one :30 promo way more than pays for the Giga machine and those libraries...

I was able to get 256 (128 stereo) EXS24 voices on my dual gig Mac when I checked. It started crackling just a little before then; at the time I was convinced this was the machine running out of horsepower, but now I\'m starting to question whether it wasn\'t just good old-fashioned distortion I was hearing.

Some day when I\'m feeling like playing I\'ll test it again.

I should add that I just finished a mix with several EXS24s and two stereo->stereo Altiverbs running with no problems.

I received an answer from a user in the German forum at keyboards.de:

It was a Dual 1GHz machine.

40 EXS with 3 Viola voices each eat up 80-85 % of the performance.
    Freezing 10 of the 40 reduces the load to 65-70 % and increases disk utilization to 15-20 %.
    Freezing another 10 tracks leads to 40-50 cpu load and 30-40 disk utilization.

WIP

Go Back to forum