• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first jazz composition (yes it's sequenced)

Share/Bookmark

My first jazz composition (yes it\'s sequenced)

Hello again,

Jazz, probably the most dangerous genre of music to attempt on a \"perfecting\" computer. I actually made this awhile back. I didn\'t even use gigasamples, and just grabbed some soundfonts out of the dungeon. I think it turned out ok, considering I\'m not used to writing jazz at all. There\'s a flaw or two with the piano, and you might here it. I wanted to have a live trumpet solo with this, but never got around to finishing it. Comments are welcome. Thanks. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

http://www.bsu.edu/web/jlhudson/Jared%20Hudson%20-%20Breakin%20the%20Rules.mp3

Jared Hudson

Re: My first jazz composition (yes it\'s sequenced)

Sounds like jazz to me. Would benefit from better samples, but you knew that. Trumpet or sax would sound nice...but you knew that, too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think you could build on it...add some variation in the chord structure and have a realistic jazz peice. Sounds unfinished for a real jazz song, but you\'ve got the feel down, and a good foundation.

Nice ambience- I can almost smell the cigarette smoke, and hear the glasses clinking!

Carl

Hi Jared, you manage to get some great jazz feeling going on - but like sporter said, I\'m missing trumpet or sax.

Good job!

Hi,

I really think that a nice Tenor, Alto or even a BARI-SAX out of John Thomas\'s Sax library out of Bigga-Giggas could fit quite well here in a solo chorus. You have the foundation to build a few horns here..

Alan Russell

I think this piece would defnitely benefit from a solo sax, a trumpet/muted trumpet, or a nice jazz guitar. It definitely feels like its missing an element. Then I\'d back off on the piano a little bit in a few spots, make it a little less busy and give the other instrument a little more room to play.
    -Hudson

Originally posted by Alan Russell:
    Hi,

I really think that a nice Tenor, Alto or even a BARI-SAX out of John Thomas\'s Sax library out of Bigga-Giggas could fit quite well here in a solo chorus. You have the foundation to build a few horns here..

Alan Russell
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I was thinking about using an alto sax, but certainly not a sampled one. I don\'t think there is any sax sample that can come close to emulating the real deal. Luckily, I have my sister as an asset, and she plays saxaphone very well. I may use her instead. Thanks though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My sister and I threw this together last Christmas. It\'s short, but gave me a chance to try out my mic on a saxaphone, although I made the reverb a little too thick. I think we did it in one or two takes at most. Noel on sax.

http://www.bsu.edu/web/jlhudson/Jared%20Hudson%20-%20Hudson%20Noel.mp3

Jared

Jared,

If you\'d like to visit my site below, please do. I have a lot of reeds and horns in many of my song-arrangements.

Alan Russell

Originally posted by Jared Hudson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Alan Russell:
    Hi,

Alan Russell
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I was thinking about using an alto sax, but certainly not a sampled one. I don\'t think there is any sax sample that can come close to emulating the real deal. Luckily, I have my sister as an asset, and she plays saxaphone very well. I may use her instead. Thanks though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My sister and I threw this together last Christmas. It\'s short, but gave me a chance to try out my mic on a saxaphone, although I made the reverb a little too thick. I think we did it in one or two takes at most. Noel on sax.

http://www.bsu.edu/web/jlhudson/Jared%20Hudson%20-%20Hudson%20Noel.mp3

Jared
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Isn\'t your sister the one who sang that Latin piece you posted a while back. I really liked that. She played sax too, eh..some people have all the luck.

Listen to Alan...he\'s the \"man\" when it comes to jazz.

And if your sister decides to charge too much, check out the BiggaGigga saxes. They are very realistic.

Go Back to forum