• Register
  • Help

Topic: when lights are low

Share/Bookmark

when lights are low

My guru Mahatmatata Scoo Doo said it was okay if I start posting again, so here is my post. This is a great song written Benny Carter. I arranged it for jabb horns: Fluglehorn, alto, tenor, French horn(GPO) and tuba. I was trying to use some of Gil Evans techniques on this. The bass is from Trillian and the drums are pieced together audio snippets.
    Please tell me what you think.
    Jay

www.jesse.us.com/lights.mp3

Re: when lights are low

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    My guru Mahatmatata Scoo Doo said it was okay if I start posting again, so here is my post. This is a great song written Benny Carter. I arranged it for jabb horns: Fluglehorn, alto, tenor, French horn(GPO) and tuba. I was trying to use some of Gil Evans techniques on this. The bass is from Trillian and the drums are pieced together audio snippets.
    Jay

Nice!!
    I'm specially glad you used the REAL bridge to the tune and not the Miles Davis "take the A section up a fourth because I forgot the difficult bridge" shortcut.

I usually do the tune a lot more up-tempo, but this works too, and you succeeded in getting the Gil Evans feel, especially in the last A section.

Another of my Benny Carter favorites is "I'm in the mood for swing" Know that one? Glad someone else likes Benny Carter!

A nice piece of work on a great tune. I'll leave "mixmeister" comments to the mixmeisters, but ya done good work for Benny!!

Thanx to the Mahatmatata for springin' you!

Snor "Always in the mood for swing" lax
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Jay

Hey Jay! Between you and me, we "haven't been around much anymore"!

Great to see you back with this meaty offering ... I love this "Birth Of The Cool"-esq music. Nice job on arranging it in that style.

I know Gil gets most of the credit (and he is one of my favorite arrangers), but this arranging style was created as much Miles and Gerry Mulligan (another of my all-time favs). If you added a trombone and moved the tenor down to bari sax, you would have the exact lineup from those seminal sessions.

Yeah, Jay, this is good stuff!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Nice!!
    Another of my Benny Carter favorites is "I'm in the mood for swing" Know that one? Glad someone else likes Benny Carter!

A nice piece of work on a great tune. I'll leave "mixmeister" comments to the mixmeisters, but ya done good work for Benny!!

Snor "Always in the mood for swing" lax
    Hey Snor ... it's like all the jazz guys have come out from the long Fall nights tonight!

I love Benny Carter too! Besides having been such a prolific musician in every capacity possible ... performer, writer, leader, teacher, etc. ... it was that he was around for nearly the entire history of jazz that always touched me (He recorded in eight different decades!) And, man, he was playin' and writin' great right up into his 90's!

My fav thing about him: His sax soli writing ... his arranging for five saxophones was incredibly musical; really gifted how he drew all their beauty and power out of them. So lyrical.

Swing on, Snor!

Frank

Nice soft and sweat jazz. I love the feel and the sound! It's not my musical world, but I've enjoyed it. Good drums as well!

Max

snorlax! Thanks for the listen and comments. I recently got a transcription for 16 bars of "boblicity" (Gil Evans' arrangement). I was inspired it to try this arrangement. I wanted to be a little more TAME than Gil was though. I never did understand why Miles chose to omit the great bridge on this tune.

Frank! There are a few arrangers that make me silly with envy. Just a few of them are Gerry Mulligan, Gil Evans, Bob Brookmeyer and Oliver Nelson. There are many more, but these pop out of my head right now. I am glad that you liked my work on this. It is strange how the individual melodies on each instrument can sometimes be kind of esoteric on there own but blend well when played together. I was floored when I listened to the individual instrument lines for "Boplicity". They were sometimes "way out there" but the sound came together when played at the same time. It apparently comes from the "constant and similiar structure" movements that Gil used a lot of.

Hey Max! I am glad that you liked this. I usually like to blend midi hits with the audio drum snipets but I got a little lazy this time around.
    I thank you all for your input. Jay

My guru Mahatmatata Scoo Doo said it was okay if I start posting again...
    Well, hats off to whoever/whatever that is, because it's been too long, Jay.

My my what a great rendition, and sweet recording. I was disappointed it was so short, so I played it 3 times in a row to compensate for the brevity.

Interesting that you used audio clips to construct the drums. I've done that as an experiment a few times, but find it less satisfying than using MIDI clips which are edited and used as the starting point for recording more passes. In your audio, I found the ride a bit too prominent, and, especially in comparison to the drums, I found the bass too low and indistinct.

However, it still sounds more than fine - I just wanted to pass on mix observations since after enjoying the music several times, those few notes popped in my head.

Thank you, Jay - Now - stick around!

Randy

OK...Ajax will come out of the tent!! (Or Snorlax will, anyway)

I'll try to do a short thing on "I'm in the Mood for Swing" this weekend...I've been inspired this!!
    FRANK: I'll do it for sax section!
    I keep thinking I'll nab some free time, but between the day job and
    gigging, and practicing, the time slips away...

Glad I stepped in for this thread, though!! LOOOOVE Benny Carter!!!

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Randy! Thanks for listening. It is a very short arrangement. I was just trying to get a particular style under control so I just used the A A B A of it with no solo's or anything. The drums and bass were less than stellar in my opinion. I was trying to lay a basic background foundation for the horns so I did not really spend much time on them. Its kind of lazy of me but I was more concerned with the horn harmony's. Anyway, as always, thanks for the input. I do plan to stick around on the forum for awhile at the very least for some good listening.

Snor! I am looking forward to hearing your "I'm in the mood for swing". That should be a good listen.

Thanks. Jay

Go Back to forum