• Register
  • Help

Topic: Your music, put onto the wherever.......

Share/Bookmark

Your music, put onto the wherever.......

Hi Guys,

I am a paying customer of Box.com. That gives me lots and lots of Gb's to put my music and other stuff on. A sort of "cloud". Some of you don't have any space on the Internet or are getting a "guest" entry for any other like SoundCloud, ...etc. Since I never will consume all Gb's offered by Box.com would it be interesting when I allocate a special area on Box.com for my musical friends here? Completely controlled by and if possible password controlled by somebody who wants to act as a "moderator" preventing unwanted spamtracks inserted.

What do you all think of a general GPO area where we all can put our music?
    Max. filesize upload: 1 Gb
    I used 4.4 Gb of my 25 Gb area

Plenty of room for others as well. Let me know.

Raymond

Re: Your music, put onto the wherever.......

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am a paying customer of Box.com. That gives me lots and lots of Gb's to put my music and other stuff on. A sort of "cloud". Some of you don't have any space on the Internet or are getting a "guest" entry for any other like SoundCloud, ...etc. Since I never will consume all Gb's offered by Box.com would it be interesting when I allocate a special area on Box.com for my musical friends here? Completely controlled by and if possible password controlled by somebody who wants to act as a "moderator" preventing unwanted spamtracks inserted.

What do you all think of a general GPO area where we all can put our music?
    Max. filesize upload: 1 Gb
    I used 4.4 Gb of my 25 Gb area

Plenty of room for others as well. Let me know.

Raymond
    Hi Raymond,

That could be a very interesting idea, but not for me personally. I have my own space at my domain.

Thanks for the nice offer anyway.

Max

That's a really nice offer, Raymond. Those of us with paid accounts do have a lot of room - I gotta say I use my Box so often that I'm always on the verge of using up all my 25 gigs of space, but it sounds like you've kept your usage down enough that you still have lots of storage space.

Here are some practical things to consider:

--The "somebody who wants to act as a moderator" really should be you, since it's your account. I don't think it would entail a lot of your time, so think on that.

--Anyone who wants to upload an MP3 to that special Forum folder would need to easily access it. It wouldn't be very practical to have people needing to send you a PM or email asking for the link, but as you point out, if the link is published publicly here at the Forum, Spammers could take advantage of it - that's where your personal moderation of the folder would come in, with you needing to look in every day to make sure no junk has been added.

--You said "where we all can put our music," but everyone who already has a Box account or other online means for posting music, like Max, who's responded on this thread - we wouldn't want to be switching to using your account. It would be for folks who haven't set something up online for themselves, and there do seem to be Forum members like that.

--A technical point: When there's more than one file in a folder, visitors have access to the entire folder. Users of your folder would need to understand that they need to get the link to their specific file - NOT the "direct link." Once a visitor uses that link to a specific song, there's a plainly marked option to keep playing the rest of the songs in the same folder. - That could be OK I suppose, but wanted to point it out.

--How this info is made readily available to potential users is a question - We could try to get a Sticky Post here in the LR - "Upload your music to BOX"--something of the sort, maybe with the link posted, instructions on how to use Box, your contact info as moderator etc.

I think it's basically a swell idea - Just wanted to throw out a few thoughts about it.

Randy

Thank you Randy. Will have a second look at this offer. You pointed out some issues I never considered.

Raymond

Go Back to forum