• Register
  • Help

Topic: What happened to Amsterdam DMM?

Share/Bookmark

What happened to Amsterdam DMM?

Does Amsterdam DMM still exist or not?

Re: What happened to Amsterdam DMM?

from what I understand they went out of business, bankrupt.
    Most likely the high degree of piracy in the Netherlands killed them... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

More like the hashish...

Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    from what I understand they went out of business, bankrupt.
    Most likely the high degree of piracy in the Netherlands killed them... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Originally posted by Hudson:
    More like the hashish...

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Cool prejudice, Hudson. At least they were not bombed out of business.

Michiel, in an e-mail announcement to customers, DMM founder Andreas van Engelen actually blamed the \"aggressive\" expansion of Germany-based BestService as the reason for him going out of business. I bet if piracy was the real reason, Andreas would have surely mentioned this as the culprit, given his outspoken mailing style.

Regards,

Peter

Well, I think it is too easy to just dismiss it as being due to piracy.
    I\'ve bought quite a few libraries from DMM in the past, with mixed results. Although the service was always friendly, pricing wasn\'t always that good (although Andreas tried to match the price of overseas vendors) and he sold me a pre-release library twice (it even stated on the package that it was not meant for resale, unfortunately I only discovered it after coming home).

Next to that they didn\'t have any way of ordering online or a website in general to speak of to audition sounds.
    It was however possible to try out libraries at the \'shop\' (more of an office), which was great.
    I agree that it\'s a shame to see one of the only samplevendors in Holland go, but I think there were more problems with DMM than just piracy.

In general, I find many music shops in the Netherlands (Amsterdam esp.) hard to deal with. The salesguys often adopt the \'you\'re an idiot but I might consider helping you if you buy something\' approach, their prices are way too high compared to for instance germany and after sales support is usually non-existent. I once had to swap over a soundcard because it just wouldn\'t work on my machine, and the only way to get another card was to get one that was more expensive and pay the difference (and even that took a lot of nagging)

I think dutch music (or sampleshops for that matter) will face tough times as the emphasis starts to shift to software instruments and german shops like Musicstore Koln and Thomann raise the bar when it comes to cheap pricing.

Cheers,

Joris

Hi Joris,
    I couldn\'t agree more. Dutch music industry isn\'t anywhere near the level of it\'s neighbouring countries. Even Belgium has much more power and keeps the music scene alive and kicking.

As for DMM, they had other mailings claiming their unsuccesfull business to the \'s, the Dutch Postbank, and several other \"outside\" causes, never pointing towards theirselves. I still think they simply couldn\'t sell enough disks to paying customers (and piracy has something to do with that no matter what you believe).
    Blaiming Best Service is total crap, you can only say that BS does have an adequate on-line store and that DMM never cared to start such a service. You can\'t blame BS for that.

Michiel Post

Cool prejudice?? Oh yeah, cause lord knows no one *ever* lights up in Amsterdam. Jeesh, lighten up, dude. And you better watch it...I hear Bush and Cheney are thinking of invading the Netherlands for your strategic clog reserves...
    -Hudson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeterRoos:
    Cool prejudice, Hudson. At least they were not bombed out of business.

Peter is right.
    Another reason was the fact that we financed Michiel Posts sample initial endeavours. All initial releases were buggy and faulty and we still have that documented.
    Yudishtira

Go Back to forum