• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lookin' for good Timpanis, please....

Share/Bookmark

Lookin\' for good Timpanis, please....

Well, I have a few timpanis in the Miroslav Library... and I also have Maartens \"free SAM Timpanis\"(and they\'re pretty cool [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) But, you know what... I really need a library of just total timpanis. I know there are a few real nice libraries available... do any of you use them? And could ya\'ll point me in the right direction, please. Thanks so much, Gary

Re: Lookin\' for good Timpanis, please....

Okay, I just did some web searching on Google. Tell me, is anyone using \"Christian/Lane Ultimate Timpani Library\"?
    Any comments are appreciated, thanks again! Gary [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Gary, I am using London Orchestral Percussion which I think is from the same guys.

Its really good and has a choice of 3 different Timps with a choice of, hits, rolls, 3 stroke, hand muffled, crescendo.

For what I do and for the price this lib is enough for me. I didnt see the need to buy a timp lib solely.

Hope this helps.

Scott.

The timps in Ultimate Timpani are nice - as are the ones in VSL. I can\'t really decide which are best. Of course the ones in QLSO are extraordinaryly good sounding, although there is only one mallet and no left/right hits.

Hello Scott, Sharmy & Simon... thanks so much for your posts.
    I appreciate your help very much. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Gary

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Gary M. Thomas:
    Okay, I just did some web searching on Google. Tell me, is anyone using \"Christian/Lane Ultimate Timpani Library\"?
    Any comments are appreciated, thanks again! Gary [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Very nice (good varitety of attacks, skin heads, nice splatty fortissimos). VSL is also very nice (more solid imaging, more present, fewer articulation details). Those would be my two favorites. Both more than good enough.

Yes, the QLSO timpani is hands down the best timpani out there. The performer really smacks the living **** outta those, and the softs are equally as present. Like Simon said, there are few articulations. The Ultimate timpanis are excellent as well with a variety of mallets and articulations to choose from.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re-reading your initial inquiry, look into the Ultimate (Donnie and Sean) library, I think. If I\'m reading you right, you\'re looking for something beyond the timps included in the monolithic libraries...a set of complete articulations that allows you to realize a part which could be exposed very fully. VSL certainly is a complete timpani section in terms of accompanying an orchestra. I don\'t know if you could pull off a soli with a lot of specific techniques, since some of those techniques are either underrepresented or not present in sufficient number to \"expose.\" I can\'t speak for the EW product since I haven\'t heard it, but from what I\'m reading it\'s also intended to be used in a somewhat generic fashion, and not intended to pull Canaries. If that\'s the level of detail you\'re seeking, probably only the Ultimate Timp library has that depth of articulation and mallet choice.

The only problem I\'ve had (and it\'s relatively minor) is that the velocity mapping is a bit compressed. The player is actually smacking the crap out of the fortissimos, but the lower-volume samples are mapped a little loud, which makes it sound as if the top velocities are thinning out (you would not believe how pervasive this phenomenon is across many libraries, not just timps).

I can see why they would map it that way, since it somewhat reflects the way a timpani responds in context with an ensemble--and it also is the rough equivalent of running a little compression to keep the part present in a mix. However, like any choice, it comes with a price...in this case, a thinning of presence and more splat than punch at fortissimo.

It can be adjusted pretty easily, if you like.

What you have to do is go into the editor and do some listening and adjusting of layer responses to get each note adjusted so the drums \"speak\" the appropriate dynamic level. Bear in mind this will also likely change the ideal velocity crossover points, and that going too much in the opposite direction will be just as bad (in that case, the pianissimos will sound \"thin\" comparatively). The balance you\'re seeking is one where the instrument plays with the same presence through the dynamic range. Whenever you hear a change in presence related to velocity, and provided the session was not hosed in some fashion, the culprit is always going to be either velocity mapping or attenuation as is related to velocity mapping.

Lee, y\'aw have complaints about the VSL bells and timps that never crossed my mind. What reverb are you using? These instruments are at the back of the stage. A little timp ringing doesn\'t get heard anymore than tom ringing. At least not in my mixes.

Boom boom. Tinkle tinkle. Next!

Thanks again each of you for your posts! I think I\'m gonna take a few days and really do some individual comparisons. Right now, I\'m kinda leaning toward the Christian/Lane Ultimate Timpani library. It seems to be the most comprehensive timpani library thus far. It may be actually a little more than I need for my compositions....but, I guess, the old saying... \"it\'s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it\" holds true here. And I REALLY love the sound of \"full\" timpanis. They\'re so friggin\' powerful! Again, thanks to all you guys for helping me out!......... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Gary

Go Back to forum