• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Waterharp

Share/Bookmark

Waterharp

Is there any way to get this to work within ARIA? If not, is there any possibility of getting a version that would?
    http://www.samplelogic.com/products/waterharp

Re: Waterharp

I'm not sure there is a way to import kontakt stuff into ARIA. I'm planning on making a library from my oceanharp when I get some spare time (haha). It'll probably be for Kontakt too, but I can let you have the raw wav files if you want to program a version for ARIA (or if you can persuade someone such as Randy to do it).
    David

I bought Kontakt 5 this summer with the 1/2 off sale just because of this. I kept running into nice samples in the below $100 range that required the full version of Kontakt. I read that this is because NI charges the sample developer a pretty substantial licensing fee to use the free Kontakt player.

Phil

Okay. This leads to a direct question I have been asking on and off for a long time, but no one seems to answer. So, here it comes again: If I use a DAW, can I write (for example) strings and brass in ARIA with Garritan samples and write a unique instrument (like the waterharp) in Kontak and enter them both into the DAW to use together? Remember, all of my compositions are entered by computer keyboard only.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Okay. This leads to a direct question I have been asking on and off for a long time, but no one seems to answer. So, here it comes again: If I use a DAW, can I write (for example) strings and brass in ARIA with Garritan samples and write a unique instrument (like the waterharp) in Kontak and enter them both into the DAW to use together? Remember, all of my compositions are entered by computer keyboard only.
    Yes, you can combine any sample library and any sample player together, as many as you wish in a DAW.

I'll also recommend the full Kontakt. There are a number of low cost instruments available as well as some free ones.
    Here's a user who's made ensemble horns and ensemble trumpet patches available free.
    http://jasperblunk.com/things_for_composers.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ---good heavens, I had no idea that was a quandary for you, Tom. As Jeff Turner just now very ably answered you - Yes, a thousand times Yes. That's one of the key beauties of working with MIDI. A given project can have as many different sound sources running at the same time as your computer is capable of doing. Take a look/listen in The Listening Room - When people list the instruments they've used, you'll often see lists that include Garritan instruments along side all sorts of other sources, Kontakt, free synth VSTS, BestService - on and on and on.

Randy

Thank you, Randy and Jeff. So. Okay, now it begins. I realize the essential need to use a DAW. One last clarification, when I write with Finale to be brought into a DAW, should I write as midi or VST and should I include controls such as volume, cresc, etc., or address them only in DAW?

I have a number of unique synthetic sounds that Dr. Ahlstrom and I created in the 60s for public television that just may be of some value – but only with Garritan samples as support.

Thank you again for the information.

Tom

Tom,

I write in Finale too. You can combine different sample libraries in Finale as well. Each group of Finale's 16 midi channels can use a different sample player. The problem you'll run into though, is that Finale's Human playback preferences only work for a single library at a time. So if you had Aria loaded in channels 1-16 and VSL instruments loaded in channels 17-32, it wouldn't work. Finale would be sending CC#1 volume data which would work with Garritan, but VSL uses CC#11 for volume.

In a DAW, you can edit each channel separately, so you can work with CC#1 in Garritan and CC#11 in VSL all on the same project.

I usually use VST (or AU) instruments in Finale. I let human playback do as much as it can on its own. Then I export the midi file with the human playback midi data, open that in a DAW and fine tune from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    Tom,

I write in Finale too. You can combine different sample libraries in Finale as well. Each group of Finale's 16 midi channels can use a different sample player.
    You mean 16 different systems of 16 channels each, right? Because each single instrument has to be on its own MIDI channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    The problem you'll run into though, is that Finale's Human playback preferences only work for a single library at a time. So if you had Aria loaded in channels 1-16 and VSL instruments loaded in channels 17-32, it wouldn't work. Finale would be sending CC#1 volume data which would work with Garritan, but VSL uses CC#11 for volume...
    Oh - Jeff, you obviously don't know that Garritan instruments can also use CC11 for volume. ARIA is programmed to interpret CC1 or CC11 exactly the same way - to control volume.

There was another thread recently where I was surprised to see another Forum member who didn't know that.

Guaranteed - I use CC11 exclusively for Garritan volume control.

Randy

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was discussing Finale's default human playback preferences. These default preferences use CC#1 for Garritan. These preferences can be changed of course, but most users simply use the existing defaults. I was just pointing out that when using the default HP preferences, you can run into problems with different sample libraries when Finale's controlling dynamics using a single midi controller.

Regarding Finale's midi setup, in the Midi/Audio>Instrument Setup window there are 8 different banks of midi channels you can load instruments into. Each bank contains 16 different midi channels. Each bank can only use one sample player, like Aria.

So if you had 8 instruments that used Aria and 8 instruments that used Kontakt, you would load up midi channels 1-8 with the ARia instruments and midi channels 17-24 with Kontakt instruments.

Go Back to forum