• Register
  • Help

Topic: DP vs. SONAR 8.5.3

Share/Bookmark

DP vs. SONAR 8.5.3

Hello,

today I ran into the limits of SONAR 8.5.3. The playback of some very fast sequences were a mess with hung notes.etc.
    In both versions, 32 and 64 bits I loaded the same huge project. No way to get it better, none with ASIO settings, other drivers, nothing helped. But without going into this too deep, considering DP since it is now 64 bits windows, is it more efficient than SONAR? Somewhere anything listed on the Googled-net what the differences are?

Raymond

Re: DP vs. SONAR 8.5.3

From what I can gather, DAW CPU efficiency sometimes might have more to do with the user than the software. I'm sure Sonar 8.5.3 has a freeze track feature that can really makes a difference. Do you use or can you use freeze track?

I doubt if DP8 is more CPU efficient than Sonar 8.5.3. It's not something MOTU touts.

I've been testing Prersonus Studio One v2 lately. There is a free version that comes with some decent instruments but limited features. Their Artist, Composer and Professional versions all have 30 day trials. If you do try it select Help>contents in the menu and the manual shows up. I think it could use more MIDI editing features but it is the most transparent DAW I've ever tried out. It also allows you to work with multiple instruments in the same track window. The main programmer developed Nuendo for Steinberg.

Phil

Thanks Phil. All I want from a DAW is that I can assign instruments (VSTi's), edit midi tracks and add some reverb (Altiverb), maybe also some channel tools and a simple equalizer. Nothing else really.

Will have a look at your Presonus.....

Raymond

Isolating that particular Piccolo track, deleting all further instances of VSti (Play), so only the one for Piccolo stayed active: the same result. Conclusion: PLAY and SONAR, because PLAY and Overture didn't made a mess of those fast parts!!

I hear Randy saying: ARIA, ARIA, ARIA.........

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Isolating that particular Piccolo track, deleting all further instances of VSti (Play), so only the one for Piccolo stayed active: the same result. Conclusion: PLAY and SONAR, because PLAY and Overture didn't made a mess of those fast parts!!

I hear Randy saying: ARIA, ARIA, ARIA.........

Raymond
    --AH, I see - It took several readings for me to understand what you were talking about, Raymond. You're saying that the Play sample engine isn't working well for you in Sonar. Well, I've seen many complaints over time from users who aren't getting Play to work well with their recording programs. I have no experience with it, so don't know how I'd do with it.

You're right - I'm saying ARIA, ARIA, ARIA--! lol.

It's an error, though, to assume first that it's your DAW software with the problem. When most things are working well, and then you hit a plug-in that doesn't coordinate so well with it - 99% of the time, the issue is with the plug-in.

Maybe you can find out specifically from DP users if Play is working OK for them.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ..... Well, I've seen many complaints over time from users who aren't getting Play to work well with their recording programs. I have no experience with it, so don't know how I'd do with it.

Randy
    They promised to launch a new version of PLAY at the end of .........????? For this project I cannot use GPO, pity. Right now I've put "prof rendering" into the refrigerator until the complete work is finished.

Raymond

Go Back to forum