• Register
  • Help

Topic: BiaB/Garritan Exercises: Episode 3 (Update)

Share/Bookmark

BiaB/Garritan Exercises: Episode 3 (Update)

Hi All,

After reading Randy's comments I decided to add one final update to episode 3. It clarifies how I use the effects individually for select instruments. I also added a trumpet melody to finish the piece off. The trumpet is a Garritan Trumpet and I did nothing to enhance the sound in the MIDI data. Forgive me, I was lazy. I could have recorded myself (would have sounded better - maybe), but I wanted to stay with just MIDI data for now.

Please, a lot of you have looked, but not commented. If this has helped you, or you have discovered better ways of dealing with these tasks, join in and add your info. That's how we all learn on this board. Reminds me of a saying I heard on another forum: Don't hoard, share on the board.

Episode 3 - Update.doc
    or
    Episode 3 - Update.pdf

And the final wave of the results:

Final Mix.wav

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: BiaB/Garritan Exercises: Episode 3 (Update)

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Hi All,

After reading Randy's comments I decided to add one final update to episode 3. It clarifies how I use the effects individually for select instruments. I also added a trumpet melody to finish the piece off. The trumpet is a Garritan Trumpet and I did nothing to enhance the sound in the MIDI data. Forgive me, I was lazy. I could have recorded myself (would have sounded better - maybe), but I wanted to stay with just MIDI data for now.

Please, a lot of you have looked, but not commented. If this has helped you, or you have discovered better ways of dealing with these tasks, join in and add your info. That's how we all learn on this board. Reminds me of a saying I heard on another forum: Don't hoard, share on the board.

Episode 3 - Update.doc
    or
    Episode 3 - Update.pdf

And the final wave of the results:

Final Mix.wav

Best regards,
    Bill
    Bill, I'll be the first to say how much both you and Randy have helped me get through Sonar X1. I have struggled to figure this out for what seems like forever. I used to use Record Producer Pro, but since it never supported VSTs, I basically abandoned using DAWs altogether and just stuck with Finale. Between the fabulous info Randy has given me (got your attention, Randy?) and the tutorials you've posted, I finally have, I think, figured out sort of what I'm doing, at least to the point to where I'm starting to produce music outside of Finale. Using Randy's tips for doing everything from bouncing tracks to editing the audio, then your tutorials on how to use buses (I really didn't have a clue), I'm finally getting somewhere.

I'm on the last stage of finishing up my Christmas piece for the 2012 Garritan Christmas Album. I'd say I'm 95% of the way there. If it weren't for you and Randy, I'd probably have to have Dan do the final master. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks so much!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Gary,

To paraphrase an old Supremes song: "That's what forums are for..."

I am glad, as I am sure Randy is, that you were able to apply this to your own work.

Best regards,

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Thanks Bill,

I've added the update to my tutorial folder. I'm still using PowerTracks Pro Audio, it's a good little program and I know my way around it now. Your tutorials for incorporating BIAB will should to any DAW.

Many thanks for all this work.
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

A bit of clarification may be helpful:

In Sonar, the FX Bin is the black box towards the top of all channel strips, including Bus strips which are built exactly the same way as regular track strips.

The controls directly under the FX Bin are for adding Sends to whatever Bus the user wants. They have nothing to do with the FX Bin. So when you click and choose where you want the Send knob to send a signal, you're actually choosing which Bus to go to, you're not choosing an effect.

If you want to have an effect which is used on only one track, that channel strip's FX Bin is where to put it. As mentioned earlier, the perfect example of that scenario is if you have an electric guitar track and you want to use an amp simulation. Place the amp in the guitar track's FX Bin and only the guitar's signal will be going through the amp.

If you want that guitar signal to also go through a reverb that the other instruments are using, then you activate a Send and have some of the guitar track's signal go to the Reverb Bus.

Randy

Thanks Randy, that makes complete sense.

Sorry I am late to reply, busy weekend: played a wedding, helped a friend whose siding blew off his home, turned back the hands on all the clocks in the house (waste of time because I have to do it the other way in 5 months - ugh...)

I copy down all this stuff and I have a good tutorial book growing!

Thanks again,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Unhappy Re: BiaB/Garritan Exercises: Episode 3 (Update)

Hi Bill,

So sorry I haven't responded to your tutorials recently.

Sickness followed by their death in the close family has had me otherwise occupied.

Could you leave your tutorials available please for a little longer?
    I would very much like to get into making more use of BiaB but just haven't had the chance lately.

Very many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
    John.

Hi John,

It will be there as long as you need.

Best regards, and sorry for your hard times,

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum