• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Peoples' Rhapsody

Share/Bookmark

Cool A Peoples' Rhapsody

In 2001, I was asked to compose an orchestral piece for 'occasional' orchestra, length about 10 minutes (ordered by the city of Izegem). It was meant for the biannual World Folklore Festival. I had to integrate as much as possible the instruments present with the invited folk dance groups. Luckily, they have nowadays a very decent level.
    So I started the composition months before the festival. I first constructed a scheme with all the themes, chords, possible instruments; immediately after the arrival of all the groups, we sat together to build a large ensemble with all the musicians. I was lucky to have nearly enough performers to build a symphonic orchestra (completed with a few local musicians). At that stage, I had to work very quickly to complete the piece for the orchestra we could build and to produce the director's score and all the individual parts (I had 2 days for it and only 4 ours of rehearsal). One big problem: There was a percussion ensemble from Korea - and they didn't read any music. (Moreover, they didn't understand any other than their own language). Somehow, we managed to have them improvise the middle section (rhythm) for approximately the foreseen time. That rhythmic section was designed for a flag waving ballet (and was originally twice as long).

Recently I've made a sampled recording of it. (Unfortunately, it wasn't recorded live at that time.)
    • Woodwinds and brass: GPO4
    • Strings: VSL - Kontakt 4
    • Accordion: XSample - Kontakt4
    • Percussion: LSO - Notion 3
    Enjoy the listening!

A peoples' Rhapsody

Max

Re: A Peoples' Rhapsody

"Enjoy the listening" you say - Impossible Not to enjoy!

It's a fantastic post, Max. Your professional, meticulously scored music is a constant inspiration to everyone here. This virtual instrument rendition of your magnificent folk-inspired concert piece is a pure joy to listen to. Thank you so much for posting it. The city of Izegem was very fortunate to have you do this piece for the festival.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    "Enjoy the listening" you say - Impossible Not to enjoy!

It's a fantastic post, Max. Your professional, meticulously scored music is a constant inspiration to everyone here. This virtual instrument rendition of your magnificent folk-inspired concert piece is a pure joy to listen to. Thank you so much for posting it. The city of Izegem was very fortunate to have you do this piece for the festival.

Randy
    Thank you, Randy, for being so nice. Thank you also for all the effort (and time) you put in this forum. All your replies and answers are so inspiring, sharing every time your experience and knowledge with us to the benefit of the whole NS community. It has inspired many of us to do better and to improve the technical side of their compositions. We know that it consumes a lot of time to listen to all the submissions and even more time to comment on them and to advise the makers to improve their work. Deep respect for your work!

Max

I envy you. You did this in 2001! At that time I even wasn't aware of computer aided composition and still had my Schimmel Grand, rehearsing for house concerts. Later on I dove into the deep of computer music when my hands got "corrupted". It is a very joyful piece and closing my eyes I can see the people dance. And again you managed getting the accordion sing and fit right into the rest of the orchestra.

With admiration,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I envy you. You did this in 2001! At that time I even wasn't aware of computer aided composition and still had my Schimmel Grand, rehearsing for house concerts. Later on I dove into the deep of computer music when my hands got "corrupted". It is a very joyful piece and closing my eyes I can see the people dance. And again you managed getting the accordion sing and fit right into the rest of the orchestra.

With admiration,

Raymond
    Thank you so much for the kind words, Raymond. Indeed, I did this in 2001, with my first computer and with the second version of Finale, which I hardly managed at that time. What you hear now is definitely not what was heard at that time, not even close to it. I just had the internal midi sounds from my SCC1 (Roland), without any adjustment or embellishment. The point was not to result in a good recording, it was merely to produce a readable score and parts for the live musicians...

Friendly regards

Max

Go Back to forum