• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Windows DAW Users - Are You Tempted By Digital Performer 8?

Share/Bookmark

Windows DAW Users - Are You Tempted By Digital Performer 8?

Presently I use Sonar X2 Producer but I have more than a passing interest in the latest Digital Performer 8 which, now, is also for windows.

Windows DAW users, dare you take a look:

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/features.html

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/plug-ins.html

Unfortunately there is no trial version of DP8 but they do have a good crossgrade offer for competing products, such as Sonar with a saving of $400. I am so tempted.

Are there any other Windows DAW users here who are tempted .. even just a teeny bit?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Windows DAW Users - Are You Tempted By Digital Performer 8?

I suspect there are some less than satisfied Sonar users around here.

I use a Mac and can upgrade from an older version of DP for $199.00. I might wait until Apple updates Logic Pro 9, also $199.00, which was released in July of 2009.

Here's DP8 video link that is sort of buried in the Tech Specs section that includes interviews with some professional users of DP7.

http://www.motu.com/products/softwar...center_content

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    ............Unfortunately there is no trial version of DP8 but they do have a good crossgrade offer for competing products, such as Sonar with a saving of $400. I am so tempted.

Are there any other Windows DAW users here who are tempted .. even just a teeny bit?
    Yes there are. What is the normal retail price (without having crossgrade stuff). Where can I find the price when doing "crossgrade"? Is it that $ 395,-- I saw?

Raymond

Naaaah, I still love me Sonar 8.5 - Forget X1 and X2 - Cakewalk wrecked their program. But good ol' 8.5 serves me just fine.

Randy

Yes, I am tempted!

Don't know if I'll spring for it... being able to try it out first would be ideal.

We'll see...
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Yes there are. What is the normal retail price (without having cross grade stuff). Where can I find the price when doing "crossgrade"? Is it that $ 395,-- I saw?

Raymond
    Yes, I think Michael meant a savings of $100 with the crossgrade from Sonar to make it $395.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    Yes, I am tempted!

Don't know if I'll spring for it... being able to try it out first would be ideal.

We'll see...
    I remember DP Dan Kurry said he might post some sort of help for new DP8 users but that was last winter with an expected spring 2012 release. That might give you an idea of what it's like.

Another option is to find a good deal on a used or discounted DP7 tutorial video and there are snipets of them on YouTube but it's not quite the same as using it.

Like with most things, preferences reign supreme!!! I switched to the X2 version of Sonar and I am quite happy with it. I find it to be much more efficient and the extras that it comes with are pretty good. Others are happy with Sonar 8.5 while other dream of using a Mac program on the PC.

I have a lot invested in terms of time and add ons, so the Sonar stuff works fine for me on the whole. There are quite a few neat features in DP8 some of which I wish I had, but not enough to dump my existing setup.

Thanks everyone for your replies. The more I look into this the more tempted I am.

Fastlane: Thanks for your links and info.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I remember DP Dan Kurry said he might post some sort of help for new DP8 users but that was last winter with an expected spring 2012 release. That might give you an idea of what it's like.
    This would be fabulous, I know that Dan thinks very highly of DP and is a 'power user'. This is a great endorsement of DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Yes there are. What is the normal retail price (without having crossgrade stuff). Where can I find the price when doing "crossgrade"? Is it that $ 395,-- I saw?

Raymond
    Hello Raymond. I tried a search for the normal retail price and found the Thomann Cyberstore which quotes the 'normal' retail price of 530 euros (£431 $690). Their offer on the normal retail price is 483 euros (£393, $629).

As you say the MOTU Store offers a crossgrade for $395 (£247, 303 euros) a good saving. Here are the links:

MOTU (Digital Performer) Store Offer (bottom of page).
    Thomann Cyberstore Offer.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Naaaah, I still love me Sonar 8.5 - Forget X1 and X2 - Cakewalk wrecked their program. But good ol' 8.5 serves me just fine.

Randy
    Thanks for calling by Randy. I know that you really dislike - loathe even, the new Sonar. You are a Sonar power user and are a loss to Cakewalk and to the forum community. Although I do like aspects of the new versions, I do have to agree that Cakewalk have made some baffling decisions on even simple things that have not helped user friendliness. People only have to see their forums since the launch to read what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    Yes, I am tempted!

We'll see...
    Hello Matt. I agree about being able to try DP8 first. MOTU must have their reasons for not offering a trial version, possibly related to copy protection.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Like with most things, preferences reign supreme!!! I switched to the X2 version of Sonar and I am quite happy with it. I find it to be much more efficient and the extras that it comes with are pretty good. Others are happy with Sonar 8.5 while other dream of using a Mac program on the PC.

I have a lot invested in terms of time and add ons, so the Sonar stuff works fine for me on the whole. There are quite a few neat features in DP8 some of which I wish I had, but not enough to dump my existing setup.
    Thanks for your comments jdsnyderii and I'm pleased that you are 'quite happy' with Sonar X2.

Regarding your time investment in Sonar, this is how I feel. Like you, I've spent a lot of time learning to use sonar. I have to admit that going through another learning curve on a new DAW is a consideration.

I'm still tempted though. Digital Performer does have an excellent reputation and is highly thought of .. and that crossgrade offer .. £247. Shame about there being no trial version.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum