• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is this legal to share standalone sounds?

Share/Bookmark

Is this legal to share standalone sounds?

I am working on a film right now, and the director/producers love some of the string effects I use.

The string effects are from GOS. They asked me if it was possible for me to record some string effects alone, so that they can use them whenever they want in the movie (in scenes where there is no music).

At first, I didn\'t see any problem to do that, but then I remembered the endless discussions on this board about what is legal or isn\'t.

I don\'t think I am allowed to give them these sound recordings... but on the other end, if it was for a scene I was scoring, the same sounds would be ok...

So I am a little confused...

Martin

Re: Is this legal to share standalone sounds?

The library is licensed to you only. Recording sounds that can stand alone for others to use is against your license agreement.

Hi Sam!

Yes, I agree with you. But suppose I compose a song made of only one note, and somebody uses this song elsewhere, what happens then? This is where lies the confusion...

Martin

As long as those sounds are used in a film or something and not resold separately, this can\'t possibly be a violation of the license agreement. I don\'t think it says anywhere that \'Your composition has to consist of at least two different samples at any point\'... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don\'t know, this is a really grey area. You should contact the sample developer and discuss this particular situation with them. In the end, it\'s up to them what you can and cannot legally do.

I don\'t think there\'s anything at all wrong with that since it would be considered a music cue for a movie you\'re scoring. I can record a single string pluck and it\'s still a composition if I choose to call it such. If the producers used that cue in any other film, though, I think that\'d be a big no-no. I know it sounds nuts, but there\'s a fine line between treating something as a composition from someone who owns the library, as opposed to someone (ie., a producer) using it as a generic music cue on other films when they don\'t own the library. So I don\'t think you could get in trouble, but I do think the producers could if they use the cues for anything other than this project.
    -Hudson

OK, now I\'m confused... If you produce a cue for a film with rights negotiated on a buy-out basis, can\'t they use it however they want? Therefore if your one sample \"music cue\" is composed music that is for that film, but they\'ve bought all the rights to your music, can\'t they do anything they want with it?

Once I start figuring this out, I get all confused again.... I still don\'t know how cover bands keep from getting sued.

-dev

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by devinmaxwell:
    Once I start figuring this out, I get all confused again.... I still don\'t know how cover bands keep from getting sued.

-dev
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The venues they play pay the royalties. Ever notice those ASCAP stickers on the doors?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by MartinL:
    I am working on a film right now, and the director/producers love some of the string effects I use.

The string effects are from GOS. They asked me if it was possible for me to record some string effects alone, so that they can use them whenever they want in the movie (in scenes where there is no music).

At first, I didn\'t see any problem to do that, but then I remembered the endless discussions on this board about what is legal or isn\'t.

I don\'t think I am allowed to give them these sound recordings... but on the other end, if it was for a scene I was scoring, the same sounds would be ok...

So I am a little confused...

Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I would recommend just making sure that every \"string effect\" is in fact a short composition. Yes, it could be one note, and that could be a composition, but if you make it two or three notes, or a chord, or do something original with it, then you are home free.

It\'s easy to point at a situation like this and say it\'s a little absurd, but that\'s the nature of any regulation. You regulate as best you can, so that most situations make sense. There is always some aspect that will sound silly, but just as in this case, it is easy to work around those situations and be legal.

>I am working on a film right now, and the director/producers love some of the string effects I use.

...They asked me if it was possible for me to record some string effects alone, so that they can use them whenever they want in the movie..in scenes where there is no music...<- Martini

Am I crazy or is there another issue here besides the legality one? If you\'re hired as a composer,
    aren\'t you getting the short end of the artistic stick? Of course, if your job is just to look for the best sounding sample then no problem.

Carl

Go Back to forum