• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Using V STACK to make FX Teleport work with a MAC

Share/Bookmark

Using V STACK to make FX Teleport work with a MAC

I am sequencing in Logic on a mac g4 but have 6 other pcs dedicated to QLSO/Vienna etc. I\'m currently using V Stack to run multiple instances of QLSO,and have purchased 3 additional Dakota cards to the tune of 1,000 bucks, ouch.

I am wondering if I can simply use V Stack as a VST host for FX teleport on one of the pcs- and eliminate the need for new soundcards(except for the host machine). This would be a lot easier than installing a pc sequencer on one of the machines and then syncing that to my mac.

One other thing, I am unsure how mid routing would be handled across the 3 pcs. Does FX Teleport do some sort of midi over lan or do I need a physical midi port for every instrument I will using?

The most important thing is to have specific midi ports and channels available such that I can assign them in Logic on the MAC. I\'m assuming FX Teleport creates virtual midi ports to make this possible. Is this the case?

I\'m going to test out the demo of FX teleport in a mac pc combo environment today. If we can make this work it will be a significant $ saver for composers on the mac side.

Thanks,

Colin

Re: Using V STACK to make FX Teleport work with a MAC

Please let us know how this works! I have a very similar mac-driven setup to yours.

Michael
    www.zerostudios.com

The Mac users are getting screwed for the time being. I don\'t think it will work but if it does, let us know.

I\'m working on a configuration document to cover some of these things.

All Mac system
    All PC System
    Combination Mac PC
    MIDI over LAN
    System Link
    V-Stack & Chainer
    Old fasion MIDI & Audio connections. (expensive but stable)
    FX-Teleport

An all PC system (PC sequencer & PC sampler slaves) can take advantage of everything.

A Mac system seems to be stuck with old fasion MIDI & Audio connections or System link but a more expensive version of system link.
    You see, on the PC we programs like V-Stack and Chainer to run multiple instances of VST instruments (like QLSO) and effects but nothing like that for the Mac that I yet know of. (If you know of anything like this, let me know)
    If a composer wants to go all Mac, they would have to purchase a full blown sequencer for each of their Mac computers to have multiple instances running. I hope somebody is working on a V-Stack or FX-Teleport like option for Mac computers.

A Mac sequencer with PC slaves works pretty good but they still cant take advantage of MIDIoverlan or FX teleport as far as I know. System Link with V-Stack however should work with that setup.

Anyway, keep us informed on what you learn.
    Cheers
    Dave

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I\'d sell the Mac and buy a computer.

Bruce, with your apparent intelligence, you clearly have a closed mind with that kind of comment. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

On another note, there is a company out that that is making custom rack PCs for gigastudio and they came up with a MIDI over LAN (audio too?) solution that was cross platform.
    Chris

Dave,

Actually I only want to sequence on the mac. The rest of my computers are pc\'s. I think I will be able to accomplished what I mentiond in my earlier post with V Stack. I know there will not be any FX teleporting on the MAC (yet).

Here is what I\'m thinking In a pc setup you have your sequencer on a host pc with several other farm pcs hooked up via FX teleport. I am simply going to sync midi from my MAC sequencer to my host PC via a standard midi interface (jsut as we\'ve done for gigastudio for a long time now). Instead of a full blown sequencer I will use VStack to route all the midi. The big IF is does FX teleport generate virtual midi ports which I can assign in Vstack and then trigger from the mac. I don\'t see how else it could work. By routing all the audio through FX teleport I am simply going to save buying 4 new soundcards for QLSO pcs.

Do you see any potential pitfalls in this setup?

Colin

Dave,

Actually I only want to sequence on the mac. The rest of my computers are pc\'s. I think I will be able to accomplished what I mentiond in my earlier post with V Stack. I know there will not be any FX teleporting on the MAC (yet).

Here is what I\'m thinking In a pc setup you have your sequencer on a host pc with several other farm pcs hooked up via FX teleport. I am simply going to sync midi from my MAC sequencer to my host PC via a standard midi interface (jsut as we\'ve done for gigastudio for a long time now). Instead of a full blown sequencer I will use VStack to route all the midi. The big IF is does FX teleport generate virtual midi ports which I can assign in Vstack and then trigger from the mac. I don\'t see how else it could work. By routing all the audio through FX teleport I am simply going to save buying 4 new soundcards for QLSO pcs.

Do you see any potential pitfalls in this setup?

Colin

I don\'t think will work just yet. For one thing, FX-Teleport is PC only from what I know. If that changes, let us know because that would be wonderfull.
    Also, if you are using V-Stack, you don\'t need FX-Teleport for the VSTI instruments. It would be like two programs doing the same task. They both allow multiple instances of VST instruments but you can probably only use one at a time. If FX teleport was to work from the Mac host, then you would not even need V-Stack, FX-T would do it all, multi instances, MIDI and Audio through the Network, no audio cards needed. I don\'t know how robust it is yet but this will be very cool. As far as I know, it only works on PC computers. I hope he can do cross platform eventually. If not, FX-T will be of no use to you unless you sequence on another PC. You would need sound cards and MIDI connections.
    Good luck.
    Dave

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    I\'d sell the Mac and buy a computer.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So with that comment, you\'ve just insulted me and other Mac users here who, following your logic, don\'t have the brains to know the difference between a \'computer\' and a Mac. Hopefully, you had a bit to drink or smoke, or maybe you\'re over-worked. If not, I guess I won\'t be reading your comments or reviews anymore...

PS: Oh, and if it was a joke, then next time use a smiley...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Satire, guys...satire. A smiley kind of ruins the effect, don\'t you think?

\"Badap bop...I\'m just keeeeding\"

I would opt for a computer instead of a Mac, though.

Go Back to forum