• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please use instant notification for new posts on your threads

Share/Bookmark

Please use instant notification for new posts on your threads

For newcomers and older Forum members alike:

When I went to check on the Support Forum this morning, I saw that my responses are the newest posts on all threads visible for the last month. People have asked questions but haven't followed up either with more questions or confirmations that their issues have been resolved.

The main reason for that is that not everyone has the Forum set up so they get instant email notification when new posts have gone up on either threads they've started or have been following. The result is to be out of the loop. Without notifications, the only way to see new posts is to go the Forum, use the Forum jump menu, and look for replies - and that's not very efficient. With notification, users can always keep up to date on conversation threads. Besides staying more up to date, the Forum's activity increases when more people are using notifications.

Here's how to insure that you always know when replies to your questions have been posted:

--In the top menu on every Forum's page, click Forum Actions>
    --Edit Profile>
    --General Settings>
    --Messaging and Notification>
    --Default Thread Subscription Mode>
    --choose "Instantly, using email."

Then you'll always know about current replies to your own threads, and new replies on any conversation you've been following.

NOTE: You must click the link to a thread that's included in the notification email. If you don't do that, you will be unsubscribed to that thread and be out of the loop again.

Please set that up so you can stay more involved, and the Forum can stay more active. Thanks.

Randy

Re: Please use instant notification for new posts on your threads

Thanks Randy. Mine has been set that way for a long time now but I never get notifications of new posts. I thought maybe that was broken in the forum. Hmmm
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Thanks Randy. Mine has been set that way for a long time now but I never get notifications of new posts. I thought maybe that was broken in the forum. Hmmm
    That's happened to me too occassionally, Rich, and like I said in my last post, it's awful. I don't know what happens - our settings get corrupted somehow. I'm just grateful that I've been getting notifications solidly for quite awhile now. It's the only way I can stay as active as I do on the Forum - I always have the option of adding to discussions immediately after new posts come in.

I can only suggest you try shaking up your profile - Change that setting, save it. Then change it back again. If you haven't tried that yet, I don't know, but maybe that will shake things back in shape.

Randy

Yes Dad, I just did ........

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Yes Dad, I just did ........

Raymond
    That's very good, Raymond. Dad gives you a gold star for being such a good boy.

Randy

Well, now it is getting really strange. I decided to do as you said Randy. I changed my setting and saved it then changed it back and saved that. Then I decided to go to my profile and double check my email address. It was a defunct ISP from 6 years ago. So, I tried hotmail (I Forgot!) and it told me I can't use free email accounts due to spam problems etc. So I put in my account for my ISP that I pay for each month. Now, the site tells me that email account is already in use. HuH? Obviously not by me since it showed my old ISP. Got any ideas?

Rich

On further review, it seems I have a second membership to this forum. When I asked the site to send me my password, It went to my ISP address (and quickly) but my login name is different then what I am using. I think sometime in the past I had some problem with signing on to the forum and started a new name. Have you any ideas on how I can eliminate the user I added because that username is tying up my email address.

Rich

Well, now it is getting really strange. I decided to do as you said Randy. I changed my setting and saved it then changed it back and saved that. Then I decided to go to my profile and double check my email address. It was a defunct ISP from 6 years ago. So, I tried hotmail (I Forgot!) and it told me I can't use free email accounts due to spam problems etc. So I put in my account for my ISP that I pay for each month. Now, the site tells me that email account is already in use. HuH? Obviously not by me since it showed my old ISP. Got any ideas?
    Oh my, what a mess. Sounds to me like a job for Super PapaChalk! - Find Papa's name in the upper left corner of the Forum pages and send him a PM, explaining your problem. Maybe, as the Forum's sole administrator, he can set things right for you. What a drag, Rich!

---I have the feeling that other people must have their instant notification messed up also, and it's something that's been going on for a long time - as long as we've had such a drastic drop off in participation.

Randy

...Have you any ideas on how I can eliminate the user I added because that username is tying up my email address.
    Sorry, I don't - I hope you contact PapaChalk and that he sends you a reply. He's really busy, but very helpful and willing to fix problems when he can.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    That's very good, Raymond. Dad gives you a gold star for being such a good boy.

Randy

.. and it works!!!

Raymond

Go Back to forum