• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigaedit question

Share/Bookmark

Gigaedit question

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker. I\'ve got these custom instruments I made from GOS wherein I have a four way keyswitch that lets me switch between sustains, grand detaches, marcatto, and spicatto. To me it seems that the marcs, spics, and dets, are all much louder than the sustain\'s fortissimo so I wanted to lower them within the editor. How would I go about doing this? I\'ve already tried the Attentuation level in the mix/layer dialog but that doesn\'t seem to have any effect unless I set it to 96 which totally silences my sample. Any leads?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Gigaedit question

Hi. A couple of suggestions.
    1. Make sure all the velocity responses are set the same. If your sustains are the EXP version- they have the velocity reponses set low and linear. It will be weird switching between different articulations which have different controllers for dynamics. If you wanted to keep the EXP, try setting all instruments to MW control only.

2. Avoid using the Mix/Layer tab to change attenuation:- to affect all pitches you would have to \"rubber band\" all the zones and then you would lose the carefully adjusted differential attenuation. Click on the menu above the keyboard (don\'t know the jargon for it) and select attenuation. Rubber band all the zones and then slide the blue balls -without affecting the differentials.

Hmmm. There\'s probably something really basic about Gsedit that I\'m meant to learn here. When I move the blue balls(Insert pun here) the attenuation doesn\'t seem to change even after I click the GS button to reload the samples.

Bump... Just making sure you didn\'t forget about me....

Dunno. Some shots in the dark:

Make sure you\'ve selected the correct instrument in the bank list on the left.

In any case, the mere fact you are driven to reduce the attenuation means there\'s something else wrong. Why don\'t you save a copy of your keyswithed .gig so that you can experiment on it. Then unify the different controller responses across the different articulations, each in turn, save and try out. I.e. first take out any mod controlled crossfades (right click on the instrument, select Crossfade editor and clear, then MW attenuation control (under mix/layer tab, rubber band all zones), then eqalise velocity response (don\'t forget: rubber band all zones), then take some aspirin.

Just another point... I tried editing some other paramters where the change would be easy to notice(ie. pan) and found that no matter where I moved the blue dot the sound would remain the same.

Somehow what is happening is that you are not selecting the regions & dimensions that you want to change the volume on. You are probably changing the volume of just one of the keyswitches or even just one velocity of one note of one of the keyswitches.

First experiement with changing the volume (attenuation) of the entire instrument to get your bearing.

To do this, drag select ALL the regions (notes) so they high light yellow. Next, look at the velocity window and if there is more than one split, drag select them all so they highlight as well. Then, look to the right of the velocity window at the dimensions (your 4 keyswitches) and drag to highlight all 4 of them.
    At this point you have manually selected the entire instrument. Try adjusting the Attenuation a bit either in the tab or with the rubber bands. (AKA blue balls.....dont laugh)

Now, once that works (and let us know if it doesn\'t) put the volume back where it was and try working on individual dimensions (keyswitches)

Unselect the for dimensions and select only the one you want to adjust and make the attenuation adjustment. You can now toggle back and forth between the 4 keyswitches and adjust the attenuation until you get it smoothed out.

Hope that helps a bit.
    DAve

Ah. I figured it out. There are four layers on the instrument and I wasn\'t selecting all of them. Thanks a lot for the help.

Cheers all!

Go Back to forum