• Register
  • Help

Topic: When you use your libraries, do you equalize or simply use another Library instead?

Share/Bookmark

When you use your libraries, do you equalize or simply use another Library instead?

What do you do when recording, do you equalize after you have recorded your track or simply use a different library.

For example if you are recording a piano (Giga Piano) but you need it to be a little bit brighter what you do:

1) use other Piano

2) equalize it

That\'s also for strings, brass and woodwinds

Re: When you use your libraries, do you equalize or simply use another Library instead?

Now, for once I\'m able to give a reply [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] !
    So here is it :
    you equalize it!
    That was it, wasn\'t too hard for a beginning [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: When you use your libraries, do you equalize or simply use another Library instead?

An excellent point Runyon! That\'s precisely the role of the orchestrator. And the comparison works especially well for those orchestrators who are willing to bend the rules by incorporating non-traditional instruments and odd items from the percussion kitchen.

I\'ve heard of sound designers mixing the sound of breaking glass, tearing paper, cracking wood and lion\'s roars to get just the right foley sounds. Of course an orchestrator can place a lion\'s roar in the score, but it\'s up to the conductor to get the lion to actually roar on cue :-)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

All electronic music is hopelessly twisted with sound design, even completely emulative aspects like orchestra samples. EQ is only one of the tools. The other biggies are compression and delay-based processes (including reverb).

I also concur that radical imaging differences are sometimes too much to solve. But before giving up, always try to put things in mono...maybe not even the instrument which is seemingly the \"trouble\" one, but others surrounding it. Sometimes that works wonders, especially with something that\'s imaging \"too wide\" or too spread out for its relative virtual \"size.\"

Welcome Marcus.

I agree. *If* the only problem is that it\'s not bright enough, then equalize. If you want a different feel (for instance a honky tonk piano, rather than a concert grand), then grab a different instrument - and then equalize to taste.

The really brave will edit their instruments and mix sounds to get the result they\'re looking for. Some layer really different instruments. I\'ve even read of some people layering slow-attack, distorted guitar with strings to give them more bite. But this tends away from the role of composer/musician/engineer into the realm of the sound designer.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Welcome Marcus.

The really brave will edit their instruments and mix sounds to get the result they\'re looking for. Some layer really different instruments. I\'ve even read of some people layering slow-attack, distorted guitar with strings to give them more bite. But this tends away from the role of composer/musician/engineer into the realm of the sound designer.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I guess then, that an orchestrator could also be defined as a sound designer, because this is exactly what that craft is all about...combining timbres to create a new, blended sound.

Go Back to forum