• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sunday GCPO hymn, the great American tune, CORONATION

Share/Bookmark
    Banned

Sunday GCPO hymn, the great American tune, CORONATION

Oliver Holden wrote this tune in 1779, and it is the earliest American hymn tune in continuous publication (outlasting by centuries it's contemporaneously famous rival, William Billings' CHESTER, the anthem of the patriots of the American revolution). This tune and text were paired from day one and have been inseparable...and popular: it's in virtually every hymnal printed in any language today.

http://hymndescants.org/hymn-descants/coronation

Three verses are presented:
    Hymnal verse (which hews very closely Holden's original)
    SATB a cappella verse, my own harmonization
    Descant verse, again, my own harmonization - and it's opus one, the first descant I ever wrote.

My favorite GCPO detail comes right at the end, the blower motor effect on the 16' open flue in the pedal...at the very end of the final note, the pedal flue releases with a characteristic 'bump' as the closing valve cuts the wind supply to the air column in the pipe. Awesome. (Nice work, good people of Garritan!)

Construction:
    Choir: Korg Choir (Anglican cathedral trebles-and-men voicing)
    Foundations: GPO4 Hauptwerk and Brustwerk
    Organ: many configurations of GCPO deployed as Great, Swell, Positiv and Pedal with expressions simulating piston-activated changes.
    Last edited by passagio; 09-23-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Oh. You wanted the link, too?

Banned

Re: Sunday GCPO hymn, the great American tune, CORONATION

I edited the score (and audio) to take advantage of some of the GCPO features and voicing, though I would need to create the audio in surround sound to demonstrate the full effect. The intro to the setting is in ABA form:

A - fanfare with trompettes en chamade trumpets (right hand) with coupled great and swell reeds (left hand)
    B - motive (tune) stated with a piston change to full swell, both hands on the swell
    C - fanfare with en schamade and full swell coupled to great, both hands on great

from 10 to 14 seconds, the chimney flute is quite prominent; note that that is a pedal stop (a bass note) with a distinctively voiced upper partial.

in the final verse, i added a 16' posaune to the 32' contra bassoon to give more definition to the bass - important in a cathedral acoustic.

also imagine that the trompettes en chamade are positioned antiphonally in the back of the room, as is very often the case. (google/you tube 'state trumpet cathedral of st john the divine.')

http://hymndescants.org/hymn-descants/coronation

Go Back to forum