• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Matrix Reloaded

Share/Bookmark

Matrix Reloaded

Ok. This score ROCKS. That\'s all I have to say about that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Matrix Reloaded

Don Davis again I presume?

Uh...oh...hehe...the excitment!!

Can\'t wait to hear it...

Tell us more...did he went comercial..did he explore new textures?..is it mind blowing as the first score??

woahh.......

Alex

The score for Matrix 1 was really good, but as it was represented in the release cd was terrible! I hope they dont make the same mistake with Matrix 2.

Ed

Hm.. not my kind of music. A bit too noisy and messy for my taste. The brass call is original and very cool, but it quickly wears out on me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Don Davis has shown that he\'s a man of many faces throughout his film scoring career, with highlights such as Warriors of Virtue and the action music in Jurassic Park 3. Matrix Reloaded is a nice addition to his former work, but did not captivate me in a way it seems to have done to you.
    The release is a 2-CD album with a bunch of rock songs and 5 or so score-tracks. When will the madness end. Hopefully we\'ll get a promo release or a score only release. Definitely worth listening to for the sheer noise the orchestra is conjouring. Not very suited for easy listening on a sunday afternoon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Man.. I feel so sorry for those brass players.

Thomas

Originally posted by Ed:
    The score for Matrix 1 was really good, but as it was represented in the release cd was terrible! I hope they dont make the same mistake with Matrix 2.

Ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow that\'s surprising to hear. I thought the CD of the first score was perfect. After listening to the isolated score on the DVD many times, and while there was some good stuff not on the CD, there wasn\'t anything I really wanted added to the CD release. The CD already contained a good representation of the score, in a nice concise 30 min.

Originally posted by lex:
    Uh...oh...hehe...the excitment!!

Can\'t wait to hear it...

Tell us more...did he went comercial..did he explore new textures?..is it mind blowing as the first score??

woahh.......

Alex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There\'s a lot of different stuff. He pretty much expands on virtually every motif from the first one, no matter how insignificant you thought it was. (The polychords, the Trinity & Neo motif, that horn motif at the end of the helicopter chase, etc.)

Instead of the style of the first one (score, techno, score, techno, etc.) there\'s a lot of collaboration. One track is a Rob D. piece (with electronics and live orchestra) There are also two tracks, which combine the electronic work of Juno Reactor and Davis\'s orchestral writing. Both are entertaining, but the end of Burly Brawl gets so insanely fast that my jaw was on the floor amazed that it was even playable. Those LA musicians are just brilliant.

There\'s plenty of the crazy stuff from the first one too. Trinity Dream blew me away, and the 17min Matrix Suite at the end of the album is also great, but it\'s much more epic feeling. There are several big dramatic moments, and even a few beautiful choral moments, some quiet, and some huge reminiscent of the \"realization\" moment in the first Matrix.

I checked out the link on Amazon. There are two disks. It looks like Disk 1 has the songs (no Davis), and Disk 2 has the score (mostly, but not 100% Davis). There\'s also a \"clean\" version. What\'s that? Do they \"bleep\" the dirty words? Or do they remove the \"noise\"? ;-)

It ships Tuesday, May 6th.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008W2OO/qid=1052090537/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-5428714-0411815?v=glance&s=music

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    I checked out the link on Amazon. There are two disks. It looks like Disk 1 has the songs (no Davis), and Disk 2 has the score (mostly, but not 100% Davis). There\'s also a \"clean\" version. What\'s that? Do they \"bleep\" the dirty words? Or do they remove the \"noise\"? ;-)

It ships Tuesday, May 6th.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Har har [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Disc 2 is all score, but two tracks were not written by Davis. Also, he collaborated with Juno Reactor (they did the electronics) on two other tracks. All of them are pretty cool, except the Rob D. track, Chateau, gets old after a minute or so, even with the live orchestra. I wish Davis had been given the opportunity to spruce it up a bit.

I agree, that \"Burly Brawl\" is a tour de force. Great \"is it cheesy or is it cool? I can\'t tell!\" drumming and synth-bass playing, and (as always from Don Davis) excellent orchestral writing. I can\'t remember ever getting this excited listening to just one cue.

- Chris (huge Matrix fan)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast