• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Would my Mac handle the VSL Performance Set

Share/Bookmark

Would my Mac handle the VSL Performance Set

Hi!

I am running Logic 6 on my PowerMac G4 (466MHz, 640Mb RAM, OS 9.2.2). Will this be sufficient (at all) to run the VSL Performance Set in Logic/EXSII?

If not, would getting more RAM help me, or do I need a faster processor?

Thanks!

Re: Would my Mac handle the VSL Performance Set

Amazingly you have an even slower Mac than I do. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I\'m well overdue and upgrade and I\'m pretty sure you will need one too. Your biggest problem will be RAM though. Less than a gigabyte is unheard of with this sort of thing and I\'ve heard the VSL is particularly RAM hungry to say the least.

Get one of those shiny dual 1.25s and a couple of gig of RAM. That\'s what I\'m gonna do. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, you\'re right, Hasen! I should buy one of those shiny ones. Mine is old and blue! I thought I\'d wait until Apple release new models (with new processors?).

The thing is, I can\'t afford buying the Performance Set and EXSII - and a new Mac. That\'s a lot of money!!! I have to choose one over the other! Plus: I\'d like to save some money by buying before the pro edition is released.

I could go for the Giga version, though. I have a 1400MHz AMD PC with 768Mb of RAM, I just hate the hazzle and unstability of my Giga system. I\'m seriously considering abandoning that platform. And there are no signs of Giga 3.0! That\'s why I\'d like to try the EXS. I\'m already a Logic user, and the EXS version of the perf. set features several velocity layers in legato mode (the Giga version doesn\'t).

So, do you think I could manage a while longer if I got more RAM for my Mac?

One Giga pc can only allocate 1GB of RAM as I understand so its not much better off. Plus its only 80 notes of poly. Why not sell your pc and your old Mac so you can get a shiny new Mac? Or you could get some more RAM, the VSL performance set and struggle to get a few instruments going.

The shiny option is the one you want. You already have Logic so why do you have to buy it again?

Hasen:

I\'ve got Logic, but not EXS. I opted for Kontakt some months ago.

Why not sell your pc and your old Mac so you can get a shiny new Mac?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Those times that my Giga system is up and running, I use Garritan\'s strings and GigaPiano. I\'d have to be sure that these libraries can be transported over to the Mac, or I\'m out of business! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It\'s a good idea, though! I\'ll look into that one. Thanks, Hasen!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Do you use that Giga system for anything else?

The reason I ask is that I can\'t really understand the instability aspect. GigaStudio is one of the most stable pieces of software I\'ve ever known when it is set up correctly, on a PC that doesn\'t have a lot of other stuff on it.

You might consider reformatting a hard drive from scratch, and making sure your machine stays completely clean.

Get one of those shiny dual 1.25s and a couple of gig of RAM. That\'s what I\'m gonna do.

Resonse
    I don]t want to get in one of those mac verses pc debates and Im sure macs are cool etc etc .
    But is that all the faster the macs are now?
    WOW this gap is getting wider in megaherts between the mac and pc all the time.
    I know macs have a better op system ,but they need to catch up on speed.

OH just for reference they sell 3 gigahertz dual pc\'s now.

Do you use that Giga system for anything else?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, I don\'t! I have a standard Windows 2000 setup, and I have followed the installation tips featured on nemesys.com.

It\'s basically the same problem that haunts me from time to time. It is triggered by doing a search in QuickSearch, whereby I\'ll get a gsedit.exe error message, and GigaStudio shuts down. When I start up the program again, the search word will still be there, and I can\'t delete or re-type anything in the search field. An msg.exe error appears when the application quits. I can\'t get any work done! It\'s the loop of doom!

My Giga system is currently running smooth (knock on wood!), but this thing reappears from time to time. I\'ve formatted the application drive a couple of times, and the system will be OK for some time, but then the \"bug\" strikes back with a vengeance. Very frustrating!

Any tips or links are welcome!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

That\'s helpful info.

It sounds like a corruption of the QS database. If Dave Govett or Kevin Phelan happens to be listening in (Dave? Kevin?) perhaps they could comment.

Question: Do you have any freeware GIG files on that system, i.e., free downloads, etc.?

The reason I ask is that sometimes a renegade, corrupted, or badly built GIG file can lead to a corruption in the database, which would manifest itself when you happen to \"trip over it.\"

Next time I talk to the Nemesys guys, I\'ll be sure to take this one right to the source, and see if they have any advice. I do a lot of quicksound searches, and it\'s not a problem I run into. I doubt it\'s an OS issue with W2K, but I\'ve never run GS on that platform, only on W9x or XP.

If I hear anything, I\'ll be sure to post it here for you.

Go Back to forum