• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vintaudio Yamaha C7 RAM requirements

Share/Bookmark

Vintaudio Yamaha C7 RAM requirements

This piano library sounds great, and I\'m considering it as a compliment to the Bardstown Bosendorfer samples I will probably be buying soon, as I do like the C7\'s flavor. I\'m still wondering about the RAM requirements though, as the ones listed on the Vintaudio C7 page seem rather high (24-bit version):

\"At a minimum, the library will run with 756 megs of Ram and a Intel P4 1.6 Ghz or Athlon XP 1700+ cpu (@ 1 second preload in Halion, 2 seconds preload requires a minimum of 1 Gig of Ram), ideally 1 Gig of Ram or more and a faster processor will produce better results leaving resources for other samples or programs.\"

Let my try out some of my admittedly questionable math on you. The C7 is, I think, 12 velocity + 1 release layer, 48 KHz sample rate, all 88 keys sampled? Let\'s assume a one-second preload of each sample. So: 48,000 (samples) * 24 (bits) * 88 (keys) * 13 (layers) = 1,317,888,000 bits / 8 / 1,024 / 1,000 = 160.875 MB (megabytes, not megabits), or 321.75 MB to load two seconds of each sample into memory instead of one. So does it REALLY require 756 MB to fully function with a one-second preload? Are you allowing 600 MB for OS, sampler, other apps/instruments, and miscellaneous overhead? Is that math incorrect? (Please tell me how it would really be calculated if so).

The reason I ask is that I have a Mac PowerBook I was hoping to use for it (with NI Kompakt) that has 768 MB RAM which would be somewhat expensive to upgrade. Also I have \"only\" an 800 MHz G4 processor, which is no slouch for lots of stuff I do (even 3D rendering), but how does that translate to your P4/Athlon speed requirement quotes? If I were to buy this library I just want to make really sure it\'s going to work beforehand, with no compromise, as it would be a very expensive mistake to make! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Vintaudio Yamaha C7 RAM requirements

HiRez -

I use the 24bit C7 through Halion2 on a Pismo Powerbook, upgraded to a G4 500 with 1 MB of memory - and it plays like a dream. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It actually doesn\'t eat much memory on load, as long as you set your preload buffers as low as they can go, and also set your voice buffers as high as possible. Still, no problems here...

Hi HiRez,
    To clear things up I took some readings from my computer for you.
    I run a 2.1 GHZ AthlonXP processor on this system, think of this cpu as being twice the speed of your 800mhz PB.

here are the results. :

Kontakt @ \"normal\" dfd setting = 388 megs used and 24% cpu peaks
    Halion @ 1 sec preload = 625 megs and 31% cpu peaks

This is total memory including system and all, no sequencer was running during the tests.

So to answer your question, 750 megs of memory is fine to run the 24 bit version, 1 Gig is best.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio

It sounds like it will work for me if I\'m careful about keeping everything optimized. But it sounds like I won\'t be able to run my gene-sequencing software and Jedi Knight all at the same time, nooooooooo :-P Thanks for the input guys!

Originally posted by Franky:
    Hi HiRez,
    To clear things up I took some readings from my computer for you.
    I run a 2.1 GHZ AthlonXP processor on this system, think of this cpu as being twice the speed of your 800mhz PB.

here are the results. :

Kontakt @ \"normal\" dfd setting = 388 megs used and 24% cpu peaks
    Halion @ 1 sec preload = 625 megs and 31% cpu peaks

This is total memory including system and all, no sequencer was running during the tests.

So to answer your question, 750 megs of memory is fine to run the 24 bit version, 1 Gig is best.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Franky,

I really hope you will consider making your library for Mach5. This is a great sampler and DFD will be coming for it before too long I\'m sure.

Thanks!

Hi Tom, if they got DFD we\'ll be doing a version for sure. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Franky
    VIntaudio

Originally posted by Franky:
    Hi Tom, if they got DFD we\'ll be doing a version for sure. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Franky
    VIntaudio
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Good news!

For the record, I use The East West Steinway B with Mach 5 now, with no disk streaming, and it works fine, though takes about 3 days to load

Go Back to forum