• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria in Acid pro 7

Share/Bookmark

Aria in Acid pro 7

I am having problems hearing the Aria sounds when I upload my MIDI files in Acid Pro. Some of this resolved when I tried unchecking a couple of items in Preferences which might have been resetting volume to zero after playing Aria tracks, but the problem soon recurred.
    I compose in 'Personal Composer for Windows v3' where I put in hairpins and dynamics, before exporting as a MIDI file. I tried also deleting the dynamics in the PCWin3 before exporting MIDI, but it made no difference.
    Has anyone had similar problems?
    There has been some correspondence with R.Bowser which could also be posted.
    By the way, I don't live in Alabama - I am an English classical composer, living in Leicestershire which is Robin Hood country. Couldn't manage to save my changes in the profile.

John

Re: Aria in Acid pro 7

Quote Originally Posted by ejog 1985 View Post
    I am having problems hearing the Aria sounds when I upload my MIDI files in Acid Pro. Some of this resolved when I tried unchecking a couple of items in Preferences which might have been resetting volume to zero after playing Aria tracks, but the problem soon recurred.
    I compose in 'Personal Composer for Windows v3' where I put in hairpins and dynamics, before exporting as a MIDI file. I tried also deleting the dynamics in the PCWin3 before exporting MIDI, but it made no difference.
    Has anyone had similar problems?
    There has been some correspondence with R.Bowser which could also be posted.
    By the way, I don't live in Alabama - I am an English classical composer, living in Leicestershire which is Robin Hood country. Couldn't manage to save my changes in the profile.

John
    Hi, John,

I use Finale PrintMusic 2011 (Finale's little brother) and ACID Pro 7. PrintMusic (and most of the Finale family) has a feature called "human playback" and if I export MIDI with this on, it generally keeps everything as I had it with some minor quirks when I import it into ACID Pro 7. (Mostly ghost tracks that have nothing to do with the project. Other than that, dynamics are pretty much kept as they were.)

Generally speaking, I turn human playback off when I export MIDI from PrintMusic because I'm going to do some heavy lifting of my own in ACID Pro anyway. Is there such a toggle in Personal Composer that allows you to just export the notes and tracks?

Hi Iacobus,

Thanks for those thoughts. I will make sure 'human feel' is turned off when exporting files.
    However, I now have a solution from the Garritan support site - I will attach my reply below for the benefit of anyone with a similar problem. Right now I am heaving a sigh of relief that my sound tracks will load up in Garritan/Acid Pro.

John

Hi Erin,

Thank you for all your efforts, which have enabled me to find the solution to this problem. I will tell you what happened, for the benefit of anyone else who might have a similar problem.
    To start with, it is quite confusing that Track 1 in Acid pro projects seems to be occupied by the title of the project, so the first MIDI track is track 2 on Acid pro.
    Your explanation of the MIDI channels being double-booked and only playing one of the tracks assigned was very helpful.
    I couldn't get the sound to work by following the steps you set out, though there is room for confusion as I have already stated.
    However, I realised that the MIDI file I am using comes from an older edition of the composition software (PCWIN1, not PCWIN3). I had to export it from PCWIN1 as a MIDI file and import it to PCWIN3 for editing which included creating extra staves.
    To cut a long story short, the problem originates with my composition software. All I had to do was reassign the staves to different channels in PCWIN3, export as a MIDI file and drag it onto the Acid Pro timeline. After assigning the tracks to Garritan, I found that the channel order was preserved and the sound worked.
    There were two tracks which were assigned to Sony DLS Soft Synth, which I assigned to different channels and left a corresponding pair of empty spaces in the Garritan set up.
    With many thanks
    John

That's great, John - It's good to hear you straightened things out so you can get back to work. That was quite a complicated fix you had to go through!

There's something murky in this following quote - There may be some confusion about ARIA's construction that we could clear up:

"...There were two tracks which were assigned to Sony DLS Soft Synth, which I assigned to different channels and left a corresponding pair of empty spaces in the Garritan set up..."

The slots in ARIA where instruments are loaded can be assigned any MIDI channel you want, and to any of 16 audio outs you want. By default, the instrument slots 1 through 16 are assigned to MIDI channels 1 through 16, but they don't have to stay assigned that way. You can have 2 or more slots assigned to the same channel, you can skip channels - you just click on the channel assignment and change it.

And by default, all slots are assigned to the audio channel called "1/2." That refers to Left (1) and Right (2). But there are a total of 16 audio channels, and they're labeled "1/2" through "31/32." By clicking those numbers on the interface, you can assign each slot to any of those you want. You can have the 16 lots assigned to audio outs 1 through 16, or you can have 2 or more slots assigned to the same one - This is exactly like what you can do with the MIDI channels.

Do you see what I mean? All of these assignments are totally flexible in ARIA, you don't have to be stuck with default settings. So that's why you didn't need to leave empty spaces in ARIA just to accomodate those two soft synth tracks.

Randy

Adding to what Randy said (and I forgot to mention in my last post):

As you've found out, when you add a MIDI file with multiple tracks, it will automatically put the MIDI tracks in a folder track (where you can collapse the whole thing at will using the minus icon for the folder track). It's technically not a audio or MIDI track per se.

Track 2 in this case would actually be routed to MIDI track 1, track 3 to MIDI track 2 and so on and so forth.

I always add ARIA Player (Multi) first before importing MIDI, as ACID Pro will automatically route the MIDI to ARIA when it's imported and I can begin filling in the instrument slots in ARIA itself. Otherwise, if no VSTi exists when the MIDI is imported, ACID Pro will automatically use its default Sony DLS Synth.

Thank you Iacobus and Randy,
    I understand that you can have 16 paired audio outputs, but I will be burning audio files to CD eventually, not playing the sounds through external instruments. So I think I just need 1/2.
    I don't need to leave gaps in the ARIA slots then, but I was given to understand that my previous problem was associated with different instruments being assigned to the same MIDI channel before exporting the file to Acid Pro. In that case, the tracks allocated to DLS would need a different channel wouldn't they?

John

Quote Originally Posted by ejog 1985 View Post
    Thank you Iacobus and Randy,
    I understand that you can have 16 paired audio outputs, but I will be burning audio files to CD eventually, not playing the sounds through external instruments. So I think I just need 1/2.

I don't need to leave gaps in the ARIA slots then, but I was given to understand that my previous problem was associated with different instruments being assigned to the same MIDI channel before exporting the file to Acid Pro. In that case, the tracks allocated to DLS would need a different channel wouldn't they?

John
    Hi, John "ejog 1985" - It's good to hear from you again.

There are two more misunderstandings in your new post. I'll try to be brief and clear:

Confusion over how many audio channels to have in a project:

--The 16 audio outs are so each instrument can have its own track. That's the only way you can really work with the sound of each instrument in a project. If all instruments are coming out of the same audio track in Acid Pro, then you would be severely limited to making only global edits. You want to have separate audio tracks for each instrument. It's not uncommon for projects to have 50, 60, 100+ tracks.

When you're ready for mix down - everything in your project is then mixed to a 2-track (stereo master). That's what CDs and MP3s are made from. No matter how many tracks you've ended up with in the project, they're all mixed down to the final mixed stereo master.

Second topic, confusion over MIDI systems:

--One instance of ARIA can have 16 MIDI channels, as you know. As soon as you need more instruments, you add another instance of ARIA, and that new instance will have its own discrete system of 16 MIDI channels.

--The DLS tracks you're talking about have their own set of MIDI channels. MIDI channel 1 in the DLS Synth is unique to that synth - it has nothing to do with MIDI channel 1 in ARIA - Because each synth has its own discrete MIDI system.

--When you add a MIDI track to a project, you don't just assign it to a MIDI channel, but also to a specific synth.

That basically covers the misunderstandings in your new post. But there's a lot more that could be said. I'm thinking my info about the audio outs still may not make total sense to you, because you're so new to recording. Ask more questions as needed! And be sure to give the Acid Pro manual a good going over.

Randy

Randy pretty much put it succinctly.

I'd like to add if you need more than one instance of ARIA, you can click the "Insert Soft Synth" button in the Mixing Console. For clarity's sake, you can also change the label for that instance of ARIA by double-clicking that soft synth's label in the Mixing Console. ACID Pro will then reflect that change throughout. (e.g., Clicking the MIDI output button for a MIDI track will list the soft synth name you specified in the Mixing Console.)

Go Back to forum