• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Drum Loop Library?

Share/Bookmark

Drum Loop Library?

Can someone please tell me of some great (quality-wise) drum loop Cd\'s I can buy?

thank you

Re: Drum Loop Library?

Hey Sharmy,

it is for Pop/R&B/Rock

thank you

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Metamorphosis is very good, for modern, techno-laced pop/r&b. It presents the basic materials three ways--as sampler-triggered loops, Groove-Control (similar to P\'heads concept), and as ACID-style loops. You can obtain it in GigaStudio format. In fact, it\'s (unfortunately in my mind) Eric\'s only Giga-native release.

There are many ACID libraries available. You can peruse those at Sonicfoundry.com.

By the way, big news at Sonic Foundry--they\'re well on the way to being SONY\'s Sonic Foundry. A bit of a drag, in the sense that I think all of us wish the audio software companies could remain independant of huge corporations. But, in another sense, perhaps survival is a reward in and of itself. Certainly it\'s important, more than ever, for users of this technology to be vocal in a way that companies hear.

The thing about loops, as you probably know, is that it\'s very easy to \"get in\" and not so easy to get out, or more specifically, to create endings and specific figures. So another option is MIDI-grooves, which can be used to trigger various percussion libraries--essentially loops, but which can be more easily conformed to specific musical situations.

Maybe a little OT but not entirely

Bruce,

I notice in Cakewalk that there are project files that have drum groove like you mention. Just plug in a drum set or anything for that matter and hear the precomposed part. I really like that for drums.

Are there specifically libraries out there that are just midi files and how would a seuqencer handle those? For instance, cakewalk uses it .wrk files to hold the midi grooves. I guess the sequencer must be able to import midi files, can most do that? Or more specifically, how to get those midi grooves into a work and plug in a sample set of drums?

Originally posted by kid alex:
    Hey Sharmy,

it is for Pop/R&B/Rock

thank you
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Spectrasonics Backbeat would work great! You also get loads of fills and so on with every loop, and its got groove control. Seems to converts very well from Akai format (to giga).

Ed

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Marty:
    Maybe a little OT but not entirely

Bruce,

I notice in Cakewalk that there are project files that have drum groove like you mention. Just plug in a drum set or anything for that matter and hear the precomposed part. I really like that for drums.

Are there specifically libraries out there that are just midi files and how would a seuqencer handle those? For instance, cakewalk uses it .wrk files to hold the midi grooves. I guess the sequencer must be able to import midi files, can most do that? Or more specifically, how to get those midi grooves into a work and plug in a sample set of drums?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Any of the mainstream sequencers (Cakewalk\'s included) import SMFs just fine, although it\'s less than ideal in many cases. Sequencer companies have yet to treat MIDI like audio, which I think is a serious design flaw. My belief is that a MIDI-track should be able to be a separate MIDI file, just like an audio track can be a separate audio file. Many SMF imports do, in fact, exist only as project-wide, not track-specific.

The workaround when encountering this is generally just creating a separate piece, then copy/paste what you want from one piece to another.

I can\'t be of too much help on specific library products, because I am a percussionist and prefer to do the playing myself as much as possible. But certainly there are plenty out there...the demand is high.

Exactly what is \"groove control\" ?

Originally posted by kid alex:
    Can someone please tell me of some great (quality-wise) drum loop Cd\'s I can buy?

thank you
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Here are some of the the best we have -

\"Joey Kramer Drumloops and Samples\" (stereo and multitrack version) - for rock, it\'s hard to beat (and a KEY BUY WINNER) -
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=AI-100

\"Drumkit from Hell\" (both single sounds and loops), more on the heavy metal side (Tomas Haake from Meshuggah), but excellent! -
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=TT100

\"Steve Smith Rhythmic Journey\" (another KEY BUY WINNER) ex-Journey drummer -
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-119

\"Brutal Beats\" (Led Zep thunder from the producers of Chemical Beats - also in Giga format) -
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=TASCD-106G

\"Monster Beats\" - more effected, but slamming! Also in Giga format -
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=TASCD-105G

BT- \"Breakz from the Nu Skool\" (KEY BUY WINNER - can\'t beat it for dancefloor tracks). Also in Giga format -
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-146

You can listen to demos of all of these using the link.

Hope that helps,

Doug Rogers
    --------------------
    EASTWEST
    www.soundsonline.com

Another interesting choice in the Rock or Pop catagory is something called \"Naked Drums\". Instead of pre-produced stereo loops, you get the drum set in individual tracks to process and mix according to the needs of your song.

This approach requires engineering work on the end user, but if you ever wished you could push the snare more, or back off the cymbals, or in general, remix the drum track, EQ separate drums instead of the whole mix, these loops can be great. For real grungy or garage stuff, you can just emphasize the room mics instead of the close ones. A very cool idea.

They come already set up in Pro-Tools sessions, or Acid, but you can import all the individual audio files into any program. Works on PC or Mac.

For the tweak head, not down and dirty, out-of-the-box ready to go. But you can make your drum mixes sound unique. My only complaint is that some of the snare sounds ring too much. But some people love that.

http://www.multiloops.com/

You can also download a free sample of Rock Vol 1 at their web-site.

Bruce,

Do you mean splitting up drum tracks to seperate Kick, snare, hat, cymabal, etc. tracks?

I believe a few sequencers can do this based on drum maps, and I think there are other seperate applications that will do this for you.

Cant think of which sequencers I think Cubase can), or tools, but I\'m pretty damn sure they exist.

I think a couple of sequencers will \"explode\" MIDI format 0 files to seperate tracks as well.

Go Back to forum