• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Okay, here's what I've decided

Share/Bookmark

Okay, here\'s what I\'ve decided

I\'m going to get the following at the end of this week (probably Fri.)

Garritan Strings Giga Bundle
    Sam Horns and Bones
    Westgate Woodwinds

This I\'ll combine with Sam free trumpets and Timpani, and use other percussion samples I already own (Proteus 2 sounds and other\'s I\'ve collected over the years, mostly as SF2s.)

Of course, when Sam trumpets (commercial) comes out I\'ll get that as well.

That should give me pretty much the full orchestra for a reasonable starting price.

Then, in 3 or 4 months, when I have more money, I\'ll upgrade my percussion with London Orchestral Percussion, and I\'ll get VOTA for voice stuff.

Ultimately, I decided that VSL was just WAY out of my price range...although that would be my first choice were money not an option (supplemented, of course, with Sam Horns.) And I\'d still love to get VSL in the future.

But I think the way I\'ve chosen will give me what I need in the most cost efficient way.

Now, as far as hardware goes, I\'ll upgrade the RAM a bit for my PC at home. But I won\'t be at home much. My new school schedule will keep me away from 6:00 in the morning to 7:00 at night on a few days. So I\'ve decided to go for a portable option. Here\'s what I\'m getting:

Dell P4 2.6 Ghz w/ 512ram. External HD w/ firewire and the Echo Indigo sound card. I may spring for the 3Ghz but it\'ll cost me a few hundred extra.

Anyhow, I\'ve pretty much dug into this idea. But please feel free to let me know if anyone thinks I\'m making a perilous mistake in any regard. And then we can argue about it some. And who knows, maybe I\'ll change my mind. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Needless to say, whatever I decide, I\'m just about crapping my pants with excitement to get into it all. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Okay, here\'s what I\'ve decided

Hello Folk Prophet, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors. It sounds like you\'re ready to take-off! Just a side comment.... you cannot go wrong with Sam Horns! They\'re really great! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Gary

Originally posted by Gary M. Thomas:
    Hello Folk Prophet, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors. It sounds like you\'re ready to take-off! Just a side comment.... you cannot go wrong with Sam Horns! They\'re really great! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Gary
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I LOVE what I\'ve heard or them. I\'m definately hooked. Whatever I decided, I\'d get Sam Horns too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Actually, I kind of decided that I couldn\'t really go wrong with any of my top choices, which is why I decided to go with the cheapest way.

Folk Prophet,

sounds nice..I am looking at the DELL 3.20 GHZ but I would recommend that you really RAM it up here..

I\'d go from 1.5 to 2 Gigs on the RDRAM or equiv..
    512 Ram is tight but you need more to run these work horses IMHO..

Did you consider a dedicated drive fot your libraries..this is a must!

wishing you the best - stay in touch!

Alan Russell

Originally posted by Alan Russell:
    Folk Prophet,

sounds nice..I am looking at the DELL 3.20 GHZ but I would recommend that you really RAM it up here..

I\'d go from 1.5 to 2 Gigs on the RDRAM or equiv..
    512 Ram is tight but you need more to run these work horses IMHO..

Did you consider a dedicated drive fot your libraries..this is a must!

wishing you the best - stay in touch!

Alan Russell
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m not sure I\'ll have the money to go with that much RAM upfront. I\'ll certainly try and upgrade later. But I\'ll look into it for sure.

The implication of a firewire external drive was meant to be that it would be dedicated. The laptop itself would have a 30gig drive from which I\'d run the sequencer. The firewire drive would be dedicated strictly to sounds.

Thanks

Don\'t forget

1 drive for system

1 drive for audio

1 drive for Giga

I use 3 USB 2.0 drives for Giga and they smoke!!!

I like them better than my firewire drives (very quite) and cost less

USB/FireWire drives are the exact same IDE drives as you would use internally in your PC, just with a converter controller inside the case, and they have slightly higher seek times than regular IDE drives due to that extra interface.

USB (Firewire) hard drive is breakthrough for money conscious people searching for high quality backup solutions. USB (Firewire) hard drives combine the large capacity of the normal IDE hard drives and the convenience, wide availability, and fast data speed of USB (Firewire) interface. The actually cost is lower than tap backup due to the fact that no additional device required for its\' operation, while the data speed is much faster, the job which take tap backup a few hours will take USB (Firewire) hard drive only a few minutes.

Does anybody not have SAM libraries?!!!. They are amazing and definitely a great choice for anybody\'s collection. I CANNOT wait for the Trumpets to appear [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

hence USB 2.0 or Firewire interface is the better choice. USB 2.0 have the advantage of being downward compatible with USB port, and a higher theoretical maximum data transfer speed, in reality, Firewire interface still works faster

Go Back to forum