• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL clarinet : for ballads only?

Share/Bookmark

VSL clarinet : for ballads only?

The VSL review in SOS said that besides the staccato there is only a sustained articulation with a slow attack of the clarinet not suitable for playing faster melodies. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Is there a VSL user who can confirm this?
    If I buy VSL today will I be betting on a clarinet that\'s handicapped? Oh nooooo, please, not the clarinet.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Re: VSL clarinet : for ballads only?

Perhaps Dan Dean isn\'t obsolete after all.

If you\'re looking for a good clarinet for faster and/or slower melodies in VSL, buy the Performance Set. The legato patch mp and forte is wonderful for slower balad and the legato grace note is wonderful for faster melody.

Mathieu Laprise
    Sonomax inc.

You need to be careful about length of legato notes to be sure the sustains will handle a slow ballad legato.

KingIdiiot is currently working on a way to extend the legato sustains. (Multiport solution). The first note of each sustain is very long, but proceeding notes iare alot shorter.

This actually is fine for faster phrases which it handles beautifully. You won\'t want to go back to using anything else!

For slower passages there may be issues with legato notes not sustaining long enough. Just depends on what you need and how long your notes are after the first note.

For now you could always have longer sustains on an extra midi channel.

But faster patches with the legato tool are no problem at all, and here is where it actually shines.

Actually, I\'m looking for the whole deal and not just the clarinet. I will be choosing between VLS and QLSO when there is more sonic info and not just words. The \"clarinet ballad\" thing was just for topic title convenience.
    Isn\'t the performance set just a part or maybe a cutdown version of the complete VSL library (perhaps with fewer dynamics). I never truly understood that so I could be wrong. Anyway, a clarinet is very important and I would hate to spend alot of money on a complete library that has a handicapped clarinet.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Robert, I missed your post when I replied mine. It was adressed to Mathieu. Now it seems to be that I\'m going on and on about this subject while I think I understand it better now.

Thanks everyone.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    I would hate to spend alot of money on a complete library that has a handicapped clarinet.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Anything but...the clarinet is lovely, and quite capable.

Hey, I remembered that there are demos on the VSL website of the solo instruments. That clarinet is more then convincing and it certainly can play a faster line! Strange this was not noticed in the review.
    BTW, these solo demos by Herb are far better sounding in terms of realism then the ensembles or orchestral demos. Very tempting stuff.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Whoever reviewed it just hadn\'t figured out how to use the different articulations across the collection. You can rip with those woodwinds, very near the theoretical capability of the instrument itself. That\'s one of the major goals of Herb\'s design concept. If I were to venture a guess, the reviewer probably based this comment upon trying to program fast work with only the sustains. The sustains are specifically purposed towards the natural blossoming of tone that a clarinetist would employ on a note of length, and not the kind of airstream continuity that a note to note transfer would use. The more facile samples are the perf legatos, and the very quickest ones are the perf grace notes.

I think Alex\' confusion stems from a misunderstanding of what the Performance Set actually is.

Alex, if you get the performance set you will be able to perform the types of fast runs or whatever else you are talking about. - This set is the legato stuff and IS NOT INCLUDED in the other sets. IOW, if you try and play a legato line and not use the samples in the Performance Set its very likely the result would be less than convincing. The other sets are there to compliment the Performance set by providing other articulations such as Staccato, Pizzicato for the strings and so on.

If I don\'t speak the truth please would someone correct me. Thanks.

Ed

Go Back to forum