• Register
  • Help

Topic: Re-arranged wind quartet turned into a string sextet.

Share/Bookmark

Re-arranged wind quartet turned into a string sextet.

I originally wrote this piece for Flutes, Oboe, and Bassoon but thought I'd see what it sounded like with strings instead. Here is the string sextet version:

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...nstruments.mp3

and here is the original version:

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/music/Trio%202006.mp3

Which do you like better?
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Re-arranged wind quartet turned into a string sextet.

it doesn't seem quite as idiomatic in the string version. it seems to sit in an uninteresting register for the ensemble.
    I definitely prefer the woodwind version.
    by the way, the recording of the string version is VERY soft.

Hi, Mitch - I'm in complete agreement with qccowboy that the original woodwind version is more successful.

Some technical issues get in the way of fully appreciating the new string version - as qccowboy said, that recording is extremely soft, much softer in comparison to your woodwind rendering. There seem to be some Finale rendering issues that need to be sorted out better.

And then, the solo string instruments are simply weaker than the woodwinds, so that's a factor also. But trying to disregard those issues, I still think it's clear that the woodwind version is much more musical, playful and interesting.---there are some tuning issues though, like maybe you went overboard with detuning or the Var tools in ARIA?

This was a great idea, having the two versions for us to compare. Thanks for the post.

P.S. It would be great if you used Box or another online service for posting MP3s. I had to download these before playing, something not all potential listeners would be willing to do.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    P.S. It would be great if you used Box or another online service for posting MP3s. I had to download these before playing, something not all potential listeners would be willing to do.

Randy
    I had no problem.. my browser simply opened a new window and there was a player in it.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I had no problem.. my browser simply opened a new window and there was a player in it.
    Yes, I should have added that I use Firefox, and always need to download MP3s when people don't have them hosted at a Box-like site. I'm not positive if there's a setting I could change, or if this is just the way it is with Firefox.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Yes, I should have added that I use Firefox, and always need to download MP3s when people don't have them hosted at a Box-like site. I'm not positive if there's a setting I could change, or if this is just the way it is with Firefox.

Randy
    strange.
    I also use Firefox.
    I have no idea if there is such a setting. At least, I don't remember ever changing one.

I've always been able to open files in a Firefox window.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    strange.
    I also use Firefox.
    I have no idea if there is such a setting. At least, I don't remember ever changing one.

I've always been able to open files in a Firefox window.
    Thanks for the info, Michel - I'll look around for a setting that could change this.

From your post, I guess it's not Firefox but some setting directly on my computer that causes this. On this "new" computer (I've had it over a year now) I've never been able to directly play MP3s that aren't hosted on a file sharing site like Box. A new tab opens, but stays blank while my Download Helper downloads the MP3. As an example, the string version of Mitch's piece took slightly over a minute to download. I'll Google up some info, there must be something I can change.

Meanwhile, thanks again for the music, Mitch.

Randy

Banned

I think the recording is hurt by the string library being used...it doesn't sound stringy, and there are details that string players would use that are specific to the form. I thought the section near the coda was the most successful part of the recording - it gathered energy, and the strong cello helped provide that string ensemble character.

Time was, when the test of any composition was how it sounded when played by a string quartet. Of course, the players put in the details I'm referring to. So the difficulty for us is realizing those details from a notation program or from your audio workstation so the score plays back as intended. So after fussing with our compositions, we now get to fuss with the playback, too! That's why I write my music in notation... no matter how much time i put into an audio demo (sometimes hours), it's always better when real musicians have a go at the stuff! And sometimes they do it one one read, in seconds or at most, minutes.

Go Back to forum