• Register
  • Help

Topic: Update: Quiet Pop Tune

Share/Bookmark

Update: Quiet Pop Tune

Hi Gang,

This is more for those interested in the engineering/production of a piece. I am posting this thread separate from the first so you might re-visit the piece and hear the difference.

I've been working with my brother to get a better mix. For comparisons here are the two tracks:

Original

New Mix

I used
    Jabb: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Tenor Sax, Strings
    Session Drummer: Tight Rock Prg

Using the DAW: Sonar X1 Studio

I also have a question: I keep losing the Sax everytime I make a change in the parameters. I have to go to the Aria Engine (1.5) and reload the Tenor Sax. I do not have to do that for any of the other Aria instruments.

Thanks,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Update: Quiet Pop Tune

Oh yeah! That's a more satisfying mix, for sure, Bill.

Generally, there's a much more full sound, more air, more depth.

In the original, the drums were off-centered. They're where they should be now, and more up front. I hear you've given your two leads their own space, sax slightly to the right instead of in the same center position as the trumpet, like in the first version.

You have to be happy with your mixing progress. Applause to you and your brother - Thanks for the really good post with this comparison available to us. Great!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Oh yeah! That's a more satisfying mix, for sure, Bill.

Generally, there's a much more full sound, more air, more depth.

In the original, the drums were off-centered. They're where they should be now, and more up front. I hear you've given your two leads their own space, sax slightly to the right instead of in the same center position as the trumpet, like in the first version.

You have to be happy with your mixing progress. Applause to you and your brother - Thanks for the really good post with this comparison available to us. Great!

Randy
    Mom always loved him more...
    ~Smothers Brothers

Thanks Randy. It is a lot of work, at least for me, but the result is certainly worth the effort. I'll keep muddling through until I get it right. Thanks for listening to my meager tune.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hello Bill! Great to hear the different versions of this as you work on them. I really like the warmth the new recording brings to match your lovely trumpeting! Very nicely done, and I look forward to hearing more!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Hello Bill! Great to hear the different versions of this as you work on them. I really like the warmth the new recording brings to match your lovely trumpeting! Very nicely done, and I look forward to hearing more!
    Thanks for listening sanyarem. Once you've gone DAW, you'll never go back. Ive got 27 more songs I am mixing down using these newly discovered tools. Going to be a family Christmas present.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hey Bill! Very nice tune! I can hear Mark Isham playing this. Very nice mix. I didn't listen to the first one, just the second mix.

What a nice way to start my morning! Thank you!!!
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    Hey Bill! Very nice tune! I can hear Mark Isham playing this. Very nice mix. I didn't listen to the first one, just the second mix.

What a nice way to start my morning! Thank you!!!
    Thank you, Serenitymusician. I have a 2 CD set I am working on (2 hours of music) that I would like to publish and get out there. Ah, yes, Mark Isham. Thanks for the comparison. Not sure I belong in his league, but I well respect his talents.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum