• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sciatica pain in right leg. anyone got a fix?

Share/Bookmark

Sciatica pain in right leg. anyone got a fix?

I'm using piano stool when im on computer...I can sit for hours..but recently i've developed an annoying pain in right butt & leg. It only takes 40mins for the pain to appear. then i may have to lie on bed and carry on working. So most of time i have to use virtual keyboard to input notes.

Anyone recommend me a suitable chair or technique to implemen, i hate getting up and moving around when i'm inspired...I can't believe you would get anything done on a DAW when you have to interrupt your work flow.

Maybe its that piano stool i need to replace.

Many thanks!!

Re: Sciatica pain in right leg. anyone got a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by superquartet1 View Post
    ...Maybe its that piano stool i need to replace...
    Indeed it's the piano stool you need to replace. You're getting absolutely Zero back support.

For a long time I used a fairly compact office chair in my home studio, but when I was starting to develop problems like you're describing, my wife and I swapped chairs. Now I'm using our old, much larger office chair designed for people who are spending long hours at a computer. Most days, I'm sitting here for 8 hours and more. But now that I'm using this large, cushy chair, with a pillow for extra lower back support - I'm having no problems:

Along with switching to this larger chair, I take a short walking break outside every hour. You have to do that also, without fail.

You really must set yourself up with something like that.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Indeed it's the piano stool you need to replace. You're getting absolutely Zero back support.

For a long time I used a fairly compact office chair in my home studio, but when I was starting to develop problems like you're describing, my wife and I swapped chairs. Now I'm using our old, much larger office chair designed for people who are spending long hours at a computer. Most days, I'm sitting here for 8 hours and more. But now that I'm using this large, cushy chair, with a pillow for extra lower back support - I'm having no problems:

Along with switching to this larger chair, I take a short walking break outside every hour. You have to do that also, without fail.

You really must set yourself up with something like that.

Randy
    Thanks Randy,

Sounds very promising....love the chair! : )
    Will have to spend to get something strong like yours... maybe memory foam might be good also. I knew i need a chair like yours..just needed someone to tell me!

Sciatica is a pain generated from a trapped or compressed ischiatic nerve, usually occurring where the nerve leaves the spinal column. In other words it's a symptom that there is possibly a problem with the back in the lumbar region. Not where it usually manifests itself in the buttock, upper or lower leg.

There is a variety of reasons for the problem.

In my own case I was diagnosed with osteochondrosis (incorrect formation of the spinal vertebrae) leading to two areas of scoliosis (check wikipedia) at the age of 16, some 50 years ago. So sciatica has featured prominently in my life from time to time, as have slipped and occasionally ruptured discs. Ouch!

Randy is quite right, as is so often the case, in saying that having a good chair with correct lumbar support is one of the keys. Note that he has a cushion to provide support for the small of the back.

IMHO it is worth buying a "good chair" if you spend protracted hours composing and sequencing.
    My own chair was expensive, more than 150 UK pounds, and is a professional office "operators" high back chair.
    One described as a typists chair can also be very good too.
    It provides, naturally, height adjustment.
    The angle of the seat (rake) can be altered.
    The back is sculpted to provide lumbar support and the height and angle can be changed.
    It had a selection of arm (removable) rests to choose from when ordering, in order to get elbow height right.
    Modern ones come with adjustable height arms.

Mine is from the mid nineties and I'm just about to re-cover it with new upholstery fabric.

From experience, one like this is probably ideal:

Whilst the one Randy uses is no doubt quite good, it has to be augmented with cushions to get the fit correct.
    This, multi lever chair, should be perfectly adjustable and extremely comfortable, if not as good looking as Randy's.

Love the leather, Randy!
    It reminds me of the grey leather seats in my BMW!

In addition, getting up and stretching at least once an hour is highly recommended.
    I have exercises to do morning and night, but they may not be right for your back condition,
    but careful bending and stretching of the whole back (lumbar and thoracic as well as the neck) usually helps most people.
    N.B. careful, not vigorous, exercise ... think Tai Chi (is that how you spell it?)

Just my 2d worth!
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post

From experience, one like this is probably ideal:

Whilst the one Randy uses is no doubt quite good, it has to be augmented with cushions to get the fit correct.
    This, multi lever chair, should be perfectly adjustable and extremely comfortable, if not as good looking as Randy's.

Love the leather, Randy!
    It reminds me of the grey leather seats in my BMW! ...
    Excellent post, as per your usual, John - I'm sighing with Want over the great looking chair you posted. That's the ticket, but not in my current budget. The old "BMW" grey chair I'm using is Very old, close to 20 years old. It was what that particular company made at the time for office comfort, but you accurately point out that the extra pillow is needed for better lumbar support. Chairs are more scientifically designed now for better support. BUT, I prefer the arm supports on this old thing I'm sitting on as I type.

But, new, or augmented old, you do need to get yourself a chair, "superquartet." I can relate to your love of the old fashioned piano stool - for years I used the one my parents had. Classic dark wood, ball and claw Victorian style, very much like this one:

But - that sort of thing just isn't adequate for the kind of work we do at our computers.

Go shopping - soon!--and thrifty me suggests you go to 2nd hand stores first.

Randy

Hello,

Garry here...New member. :-)

There's some excellent advice above, but I'd like to add another tip...Try not to lean to one side in an office chair.

I've been leaning on the left arm of the chair for about 20 years and five years ago I started to develop sciatica in my right leg. It gradually got so bad that I could walk only a few yards, or stand still for about a minute before I had to rest a paiful and sometimes 'dead' leg. I couldn't travel as a passenger in the front of a car because I couldn't lean to the left (I'm in the UK) and I had to plan any visits to the theatre or flights so that I had an end seat so I could lean into the aisle!!!

I went to the doctor who sent me to a physiotherapist who diagnosed spinal stenosis, which is where a nerve is pinched where it exits from the spine to the leg. This can be caused by various things, but the physio reckoned that my lean to the left was opening the right hand gap between the disks and so was pinching when I went upright.

I was given a few excersises, the most effective being to stand upright and push my middle gently to the left...The aim being to desensitise the nerve.

It has approved dramatically over the past few months as I've been tackling a big gardening job which had made me flex a lot and I have also been trying to end my habit of leaning to the right.

So, not so much a fix, as a word of warning!!!

Hope that's helpful!!! :-)

fellas thanks...very very helpful tips and pics, couldn't have asked for more...

to say i used to use this.

This beauty costs£500

but i think i will have to settle for this chair £35 and save money for better chair...all i need to do is had some pillows.. what d'ya think ??

wether i spend money or not will still cause a pain in the butt.... i was saving for a ssd drive.

just a quick history of back problems...yes i used to be a regular slipped disc candidate..suffered for many years...spent loads of money at chiropractors. They made it worse.
    One day i booked an session for a good ole sweaty massage given to me by a lady who was a part time masseur and full time office worker...and guess what? never had the intense pain again...now it's just the pain i mentioned...nothing to do with a slipped disc or back ache though i understand that the problem is caused via back ache trapped nerves... So i recommend a decent regular massage with feminine hands!!!! Just don't tell the wife!

Go Back to forum