• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: SAW Studio. Any Comments?

Share/Bookmark

OT: SAW Studio. Any Comments?

Saw studio

I was recently reading about this new windows app. It looks very fast (written in assembly), has lots of features, and the interface looks nice. The program looks very nice and easy to use in the videos.

From what I understand, it supports VST\'s, Video sync, TCP/IP Link similar to System link. I\'m not sure of the extent of the midi functionality but it supports mackie control etc.

Any thoughts/comments?

Ben Ripley

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: SAW Studio. Any Comments?

Originally posted by Daedalus:
    Saw studio

I was recently reading about this new windows app. It looks very fast (written in assembly), has lots of features, and the interface looks nice. The program looks very nice and easy to use in the videos.

From what I understand, it supports VST\'s, Video sync, TCP/IP Link similar to System link. I\'m not sure of the extent of the midi functionality but it supports mackie control etc.

Any thoughts/comments?

Ben Ripley
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">SAW is far from new...in fact, it is probably one of the oldest PC audio applications in professional use. It has been pretty much surpassed in terms of raw features, but there are some folks who still swear by SAW. Those guys tend to be VERY engineer-y in approach, however, and not musicians. Bob Lentini has always had a following, but when he\'s asking for $2500+ to get basically a much more limited application than Cakewalk\'s SONAR at $400, you\'ve got to start questioning the economy of scale.

Wow. I can\'t believe its that expensive!

That\'s too bad. It looks like a nice program that could compete very well with the other sequencers on the market.

Ben Ripely

[quote]Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Originally posted by Daedalus:
    [qb] Saw studio

SAW is far from new...in fact, it is probably one of the oldest PC audio applications in professional use. It has been pretty much surpassed in terms of raw features, but there are some folks who still swear by SAW
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yup Bruce is Right. I remember back in the early 90\'s looking at Saw. The Studio I was buying for was very PC oriented and so I was looking at PC applications like SAW. We ended up going MAC with Avid and Pro Tools. But at the time Saw seemed a pretty good bang for the buck. However that was almost 10 years ago.

I actually still use SAW Plus on occassion, but I lost interest when they started the Saw Studio line...way over-priced.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by JohnnyP:

Yup Bruce is Right. I remember back in the early 90\'s looking at Saw. The Studio I was buying for was very PC oriented and so I was looking at PC applications like SAW. We ended up going MAC with Avid and Pro Tools. But at the time Saw seemed a pretty good bang for the buck. However that was almost 10 years ago.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">We ended up going with Spectral. All in all, we spent about $32,000 for a 12-track system (just the Spectral, nothing else). It ran on a 386-33, SCSI raid, 1 GB total. At the time, that was freaky huge. Every time I see someone whine because music software is so expensive, I just shake my head in disbelief. Did I mention we walked to the studio uphill both directions in the rain? And that we liked it?

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    We ended up going with Spectral. All in all, we spent about $32,000 for a 12-track system (just the Spectral, nothing else). It ran on a 386-33, SCSI raid, 1 GB total. At the time, that was freaky huge. Every time I see someone whine because music software is so expensive, I just shake my head in disbelief. Did I mention we walked to the studio uphill both directions in the rain? And that we liked it?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, the price of systems have really come down. Yet, it still seems as though there are kinda industry standards, well maybe not standards, but \'workhorses\' everyone uses. I hate the price of Pro Tools, but most people who want editing done by me don\'t ask if I have a \'digital audio midi program (ie Logic)\'. They want to know if I have \'Pro tools.\'

Go Back to forum