• Register
  • Help

Topic: Together - a new piano piece

Share/Bookmark

Together - a new piano piece

Hi to all!
    the summer holydays inspired me this new piano piece.
    It's simple and joyful.. I hope you like it!

http://soundcloud.com/bosone/together

as usual, some modifications will be needed, but I finally found a friend who will maybe play my pieces as a real pianist in the future!
    The piano is always the Garritan Orchestra one, with just some reverb added.

thanks for listening!

Re: Together - a new piano piece

Hi, Matteo "Bosone" - It's always a pleasure to see you pop up on the Forum! Thanks for joining in on the Festival with your lovely piano piece.

I think you should be very happy with the sound you've gotten from the GPO piano - it really can sound more than just "fine." It's really remarkable that in this inexpensive Library that covers the entire orchestra, such a good piano set is also
    included.

I'd like to pass on some of my observations and suggestions, and hope you don't mind the critique:

--The main theme is effecting, "simple and joyful," as you said. The title "Together" fits perfectly with the gentle happiness to be heard in that theme.

--I feel the length of 4:25 is overly long to sustain the material. In its present form, about half way through was when it felt like it should wrap up. 2:30 to 3:00 is a perfectly fine length for something as simple as this.

--The numerous repetitions of the I to V chord progression become wearying. I would suggest some chord substitutions be used during some of the repetitions of the main theme, and also some bass notes that aren't always returning to the dominant.

--While the theme is straight forward and memorable, there are other passages which are sounding like improvisations which haven't been honed sufficiently. There are passing tones which are sounding a bit awkward, for instance.

--One of the sweetest moments is at around 1:14, but it's only used one other time. I think this and probably some other sections could be developed for sections to return to more often, replacing some of the repetitions of the main theme.

--The key change at 1:26 was refreshing and effective. It's the sort of thing which could be used more often, especially if you want to retain this length.

So, I like the main theme - I feel the piece is too long - I think there are undeveloped moments which could be repeated to lend more interest - I think the arrangement could be developed more with chord substitutions and re-voicings.

I listened carefully, Matteo, maybe some of my feedback will be of interest.

Thanks for posting the music!

Randy

dear Randy,

thank you very very much for your listening effort and for the suggestions! I really appreciate it!!
    Honestly I was not yet satisfied with the development of the piece. I must organize better the ideas and give it another try. Your advices will be extremely helpful to me!

I hope to post a new version soon!

best wishes
    matteo

PS
    "I think you should be very happy with the sound you've gotten from the GPO piano - it really can sound more than just "fine." It's really remarkable that in this inexpensive Library that covers the entire orchestra, such a good piano set is also
    included."

actually the GPO piano has always been my favourite. I also have the komplete 8 bundle with the NI piano set, but I must admit that i just love how GPO piano sound mellow and round, I feel it's perfectly suited to my style!

Bosone,
    This is a very fine piece--very relaxing!

I am listening shortly before going to bed, and now I am relaxed instead of tense.

Your piece has put me in a very good mood! Well done. Thank you.

Snorlax
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Hello Matteo, this was quite a peaceful piece.

Very relaxing, indeed. Certainly not something I should be listening to when I really need to be getting some work done!

I enjoyed this one, thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum