• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: This is what a EUPHONIUM sounds like--Consciousness-Raising

Share/Bookmark

This is what a EUPHONIUM sounds like--Consciousness-Raising

Hi, Composers and arrangers...

Well, I see that it's OK to post some non-Garritan stuff as long as it is so identified.

Here's a live performance of a euphonium concerto by the late Hungarian composer Frigyes Hidas.

I'm pretty sure this was the American premiere performance. I took it on tour to three or four states either side of I-65 with various college wind ensembles. This is one of the better performances. I actually had a couple of rehearsals, as I recall, for this performance. I especially appreciate the QUIET passages in the piece.

This piece is very tuneful and stays pretty much in the "cash register" of the euphonium. It's in one long movement, but the sections are pretty well distinguishable.

I posted this a couple years ago, but there are probably many new forum members since then.

This will--I hope--inspire some of you to apply your considerable talents to writing for this wonderful instrument!

Snorlax.

PS--if you click on the words "Snorlax's Performances" above the player, you will find some other snippets--all live--including an excerpt from one of the Mozart euphonium concertos, jazz, and some No Doubt. Click away and enjoy (or barf or laugh)
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: This is what a EUPHONIUM sounds like--Consciousness-Raising

Randy wrote : You've got mail. So I went to good old Snorlax with his "on-tour" euphonium. And it sounds great. A very enjoyable piece for the saturday morning (and other mornings, in case you wonder why only saturday).

Raymond

Great performance, Mister Jim! I enjoyed it very much. You are a master of the instrument.

Thanks for sharing it.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Great performance Snor - I'm afraid I live in the middle of brass band country in the UK, so I'm already converted to the euphonium. There's a player in our local band called Glyn Williams, who is an absolute beast of a player (no offence to yourself - you may well be equally brilliant) and has done a lot to make people see it as a solo instrument, rather than just band padding. I had the fortune, last year, to conduct him playing a Carnival of Venice arrangement, with my little windband, and it was frankly stagerring what the instrument can do.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    ... I actually had a couple of rehearsals, as I recall, for this performance...

This piece is very tuneful and stays pretty much in the "cash register" of the euphonium...

This will--I hope--inspire some of you to apply your considerable talents to writing for this wonderful instrument!...
    OK, I'm sold! That recording is excellent, and the Euph is gorgeous, like a Tuba on a diet.

That would be a really nice challenge, writing something for the Euph - and as we can hear, it's a more agile instrument than we may have thought.

That first part I pulled out as a quote, about actually having some rehearsals - hehe--it's unusual to actually practice before performing??

Terrific, Jim - Thanks so much for this bright spot in our Festival! A hard act to follow.

Randy

we keep hearing about how the euph's tone is somewhere between a tuba and a horn.
    it's nice to finally really hear that "reality".
    I guess it does have some qualities of both.
    there's a beautifully mellow "not-quite-brass" sound to it.
    the concerto in question was for band, I presume. I'd like to hear the euphonium set against a more standard orchestra. I get the impression its unique tone would profit more from that juxtaposition.

I sort of chuckled at the Mozart reference.. which concerto is it? (the euphonium didn't exist until after Mozart's death, so I have to presume it's an arrangment). It wasn't any of the horn concerti I could identify, nor did it seem to be the bassoon concerto (often played on the euphonium).

I don't think I've heard any of Frigyes Hidas' work before, Jim -- wonderful piece.

And, in the hands of the master of course -- a superb performance!

Bravo!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Great performance Snor - I'm afraid I live in the middle of brass band country in the UK, so I'm already converted to the euphonium. There's a player in our local band called Glyn Williams, who is an absolute beast of a player (no offence to yourself - you may well be equally brilliant) and has done a lot to make people see it as a solo instrument, rather than just band padding. I had the fortune, last year, to conduct him playing a Carnival of Venice arrangement, with my little windband, and it was frankly stagerring what the instrument can do.
    Hi, David...
    Glyn Williams is an absolute treasure. I'm not fit to oil his valves!!
    And Glyn can play 6 or 7 other brass instruments just as well--and percussion, too.
    I lived in Lincolnshire in 1989 for one semester--not far from the Yorkshire bands, but the band in Grantham
    was kind of at the bottom of the 4th section when I was there! They were very disappointed when Skegness came ahead of them in the 4th section contest when I was there
    The Welsh band I played with (Aberystwyth Silver) was quite good, though.
    Thanks for listening!
    Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Randy wrote : You've got mail. So I went to good old Snorlax with his "on-tour" euphonium. And it sounds great. A very enjoyable piece for the saturday morning (and other mornings, in case you wonder why only saturday).

Raymond
    Euphonium music goes well with a quiet breakfast, and equally well with a fine dinner accompanied by a vintage wine.
    Thanks for listening!!

Snor zonder snor.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Great performance, Mister Jim! I enjoyed it very much. You are a master of the instrument.

Thanks for sharing it.

Best,
    Larry,
    While I welcome all comments, words of praise from those people who have played the instrument are the most welcome. Thanks!

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast