• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: It's piano time.. recommendations?

Share/Bookmark

It\'s piano time.. recommendations?

I\'m planning on sinking $100 or so into a piano sample. I\'m already leaning towards the Malmsjo, but wanted to take some last minute recommendations. I need something warm-sounding.. something good at sounding dark, too. Definitely nothing bright or poppy. Notes in the higher register should be a bit brighter than those in the lower register, but not be tinny or too sharp.

Re: It\'s piano time.. recommendations?

I\'m looking for exactly the same thing! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Best Sampled Piano for all genres IMHO is Kip McGinnis\'s Borsendorfer Imperial Grand Piano (now in 24 bit) at www.BardsTownAudio.com

This treasure has influenced me to arrange all of my scores in such a positive way that I would urge you all to have it in your sound arsenal.

For the weekly Gig player, it is the kind of piano that goes beyond a 5 hour continuous affair. It is a positive addiction that truly makes a song-arranger like myself to score to the end of time. This is not an exaggeration, or a plug, it is truly how I feel. I am very critical about samples and they way they were created.

Lol in whatever you choose. You can here all of my song-arrangements on the website below with a description of when this BOSE was used.

Alan Russell

Hm, that Bosendorfer is nice. I compared the Bosendorfer Reverie with the Malmsjo Reverie. The Malmsjo version was a little too muffled for my tastes.

The Yamaha C7 from Vintaudio is a real treat. Costs a bit more than $100 though! Recorded three different ways (close miked, player perspective and ambient) so it\'s very flexible.

I\'m using the 24 bit version in Halion which sounds fantastic. Sounds like you have a very definite idea of what tone you want, so it may not be quite the sound you\'re after, but it\'s certainly worth a look.

Steve

I find the Malmsjo darker and has more character than the Bosey.Plus Hans just came out with some new patches!!Its definately worth more than $100! Its worth it..Rich Pell

Originally posted by Steve Rees:
    The Yamaha C7 from Vintaudio is a real treat. Costs a bit more than $100 though! Recorded three different ways (close miked, player perspective and ambient) so it\'s very flexible.

I\'m using the 24 bit version in Halion which sounds fantastic. Sounds like you have a very definite idea of what tone you want, so it may not be quite the sound you\'re after, but it\'s certainly worth a look.

Steve
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve heard people say that the C7 is more of a pop piano. Is that true?

Well, I personally I think the Yamahas are really versatile, and sound great in many different musical environments. I\'ve performed classical on both...and ragtime........and more pop related things.....I just like them I guess! (I also like Steinways of course. Never had the opportunity to play a Bosendorfer for real so can only comment on the sample demos I\'ve heard, and they also seem to have a great sound).

I think you\'re just going to have to rely on your ears listening to the demos to be honest. Pianos are so subjective. I can say for certain that you would have no problems with expression and producing a realistic performance on the C7, it\'s very playable. Is it a \'dark\' enough tone for you though? I can\'t answer that, only the demos can.

You could ask Franky to knock you up a quick demo in the style you\'re interested in, I\'m sure he\'d be happy to do it.

Steve

After hearing the demos, I would say yep, definitly pop.

------------
    Alex Cremers

I\'m a Post Bos man, the Wet samples only, at least as far as the recorded end-result is concerned. I own quite a few piano samples--Truan Steinway B, Truan Bos, MAG, Gigapiano, Post Steinway, Tractman Steinway--to name a few, and the Post BOS Wet samples beat all of them by a long shot where the recorded sound is concerned, as long as you are judicious about the velocity ranges within which you\'re playing.

The Post Bos Wet is, of course, recorded WET; so if that\'s not your bag, you may not be interested in THAT Bos. Post also makes a DRY Bos sample, like Kip\'s Bos, but to my ears no dry Bos piano sample on the market yet succeeds in capturing the real beauty of a Bosendorfer. The Post BOS WET is a first in that it produces, for the first time ever in my view, a really fabulous Bosendorfer tone.

The MAG is probably the next most realistic-sounding sample, but it\'s just too dark for me. The Steinway B (East West-Truan) is very, very realistic too, and great for playing live, but it doesn\'t hold a candle to the Post Bos for realism and has huge and abrupt changes as you move between its three velocity layers. It just requires a HUGE amount of tweeking to smooth and darken it. A GREAT sample, but not nearly as good as the Post WET BOS.

Many of the other samples are very good, that is, sound \"present,\" \"powerful,\" \"dynamic,\" etc. But do they actually sound like a real piano in all respects? NO. All suffer in my view from certain fatal flaws--the principal flaw being tinnyness, thinness, or too much coloration and distortion in the middle register, precisely where a piano sample has to be dead on. So, end result? They don\'t sound like a REAL piano. Only Post\'s Wet Bos can pass the double-blind test. The others--save the Truan Steinway B if super-tweeked--can\'t. Not even close.

So, in the end my site at mp3.com uses only 3 samples: the Truan Steinway B + MAG (that\'s right, BOTH at the same time) and the Post BOS 8 layer WET + accompanying release sample. I\'m gradually converting ALL my Bach WTC 1 (that\'s 48 pieces) plus a little Beethoven and Chopin at my mp3.com site from the MAG/Steinway combo to the Post BOS. The famous Bach C Major Prelude, the Beethoven Moonlight, and a Chopin Etude all use the BOS. Pretty much all the other material uses the East West (Truan) Steinway B/Mag combo. You can hear the C Major Prelude played on the Steinway as well, and compare it to the BOS recording. There\'s no contest, in my view, but I\'ve kept both up because a lot of folks come to the site to download the older Steinway version, which has been there a couple of years now.

The very last song at the site, WTC 2, Prelude 15 uses the Post wet BOS. It\'s the most recent of my Bos wet Bos pieces, and is ALMOST representative of how totally convincing this piano can sound. The Beethoven and Chopin, I now feel, don\'t do real justice to the sample, as I just threw them together in a hurry.

Of course, 128 kps distorts the sound quite a bit, 192 kps demos if you can find them, are much more revealing. I hope prelude # 6 to be up soon at my site. That\'s pretty much my \"best effort\" with the Post Wet Bos to date, in terms of realism and sound quality. I think I\'ve really got the sound the sample\'s capable of with that effort.

Here\'s the URL if it\'s of any use to you:
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

J. Grant

Go Back to forum