• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample quality becoming higher; library upgrades in the future required

Share/Bookmark

Sample quality becoming higher; library upgrades in the future required

As we all can see the quality of samples is increasing. 16 bit becomes 24 bit, 44.1 kHz becomes 96 kHz and stereo becomes 5.1 channel surround.
    What I\'m a bit afraid of is that, having bought a lot of expensive libraries, the libraries become not usefull anymore, because the new sample qualities become the new standard. It would be a shame if you had a nice big collection of instruments, which becomes not usefull anymore within a couple of years, only because of the quality.

The VSL is an example of a library which has an upgrade to higher quality and you don\'t have to pay the full price, but an upgrade price, if you own the first version.
    It would be nice if other libraries would also have such upgrade possibilities in the future.

Re: Sample quality becoming higher; library upgrades in the future required

I don\'t think the ideal is already-processed (and in the case of 5.1, encoded/compressed) audio. I want the best possible dry recordings. That way I can style the ambience any way I want. Moreover, I can keep doing that forever. The rendering techniques will change, but the source should stay the same.

For example, the bright spot today is in IR convolution, which is a remarkably flexible, powerful, and effective technology. Look at what people like Ernest Cholakis are doing. Meanwhile, Samplitude 7 can already do convolved IRs in a DAW mixing context. There\'s also the brute force DirectX technique that becomes more doable every year, and I expect that Audio Units will be enviable. (Have you seen Amplitude Live for OSX? I swear, the first program that ever made me want a Mac.)

Now of course, the need for a smooth upgrade path to higher resolutions is a separate point, and I agree to it. But I don\'t fault developers for overspending on ultra-high resolution recording options. Perhaps they would need to price that equipment in the upgrade cost, so that non-upgrading buyers aren\'t punished for a luxury they don\'t receive. At the least you would have to allow that only experienced developers could have a business model with such nuance. Only then would they know the name and weight of each item that impacts time and budget. IMO we are finally reaching a point where true innovation can start happening.

So give them a break. The future may be in 100 GB libraries in the $500 range: too big to download, yet affordable...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Luigi:
    It would be a shame if you had a nice big collection of instruments, which becomes not usefull anymore within a couple of years, only because of the quality.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have not found that to be true. Remember, audio recording itself has been operating at a very high level since the 1950s and 1960s. Most of the techniques in use were pioneered in the 40s.

What changed in sampling was GigaSampler, later GigaStudio. Libraries got exponentially bigger when streaming entered the picture, and this changed the level of detail available. But a good recording is a good recording. Some of the very earliest instruments for GigaSampler are still competitive right now. Even better, there are more platforms which support the same sample sets differently.

If sampleware remains platform-neutral, and is designed to serve any and all sample platforms, then its future is practically unlimited.

I see now that I shouldn\'t worry to much about this, a good recording is a good recording and will also stay good in the future [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Well, yes to a degree. I don\'t want you to quote me on that if some unforseen technology completely changes the picture.

But as a general rule, the quality of recordings from a practical standpoint, has not been the leap in technology. It has been the ability to leverage them that has changed. The recordings have stayed just about the same.

Go Back to forum