• Register
  • Help

Topic: To Hollywood

Share/Bookmark

To Hollywood

This piece is the latest composition I have completed. It was posted here a while ago, but I want to show it again for the festival. It is titled To Hollywood - A Tribute to Film Music Masters. It is meant to describe dedication, hard work, the power of film music, a little bit of my love for John Williams, and finally outer space in a cinematic style. The outer space section comes from my entry "Deep Space" that I submitted for the Make Music/Take Your Music Further contest.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81026636/To%20Hollywood.wav

I am particularly proud of finally making my horn section sound convincing at 6:41
    As with all my compositions, this was written and recorded in Finale using GPO 2 samples and Garritan Instruments for Finale samples.
    My Music - https://soundcloud.com/davidrhepworth-1
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Skippy

Re: To Hollywood

That's a hefty chunk of Seee nee Matic music you have there, David, with much to enjoy along the way. Movie music has a special place in everyone's hearts I think. The memories we associate with seeing favorite films at the theatre, the unabashed sentimentalism and emotional manipulation of the soundtracks - we love that stuff. This is a very nice tribute to that special thing most of us have in common.

I recall very well your "Deep Space" post a little while back, how it was great to have that rescued from the obscurity of that unfortunate misfire of a contest MakeMusic conducted on Facebook.

Did we talk about this before--?--maybe - but this is such an unusual way you're using Dropbox. Yes, I think we did exchange some messages about that. You're posting .wav files, which play decently enough on my computer, the streaming breaks up a few times - but it just takes us to a black page. There's no counter in sight, so we can't refer to places in the music. I think most people using Dropbox post links that behave a bit differently - And I do think Box is preferable, since there's an MP3 player there with a time line to use. Box and other sites are for posting MP3s though, you just have to make them of high enough quality and they're really not a problem to use. Just thought I'd pass that on.

Thanks for this music and for doing a very good deed for keeping the Festival going!

Randy

Hello again, David! Great to hear more music from you today! This is a wonderful piece from start to finish. Randy hit it spot on with the common nostalgia movie music can evoke in many listeners. I credit it with inspiring me to start writing in the first place, and though my sources of inspiration have certainly widened since I started writing, it is still a great place to find something that catches my ear

Perhaps you have changed the link since you originally posted, but I was able to see a timeline with the player in my browser.

Thanks for posting!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    ...Perhaps you have changed the link since you originally posted, but I was able to see a timeline with the player in my browser...
    Hey--so you can see the seconds counted out? I guess it depends on how our systems are set up. For me it opens up in a new tab, just a black page, with a play button. That's about it. Works OK, but overly Spartan on my computer anyway.

Randy

This is quite a nice sound coming from Finale and of course you . I am still impressed what people can get out of the notation. Nice movement in the piece. It is pretty clear you have been at this a while.

Jim

First piece i listen this morning. Nice awakening.
    Cinematic at its best
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hey--so you can see the seconds counted out? I guess it depends on how our systems are set up. For me it opens up in a new tab, just a black page, with a play button. That's about it. Works OK, but overly Spartan on my computer anyway.

Randy
    Yeah, I can see the seconds counted out, the link does open in a new tab for me, as well. I'm using Chrome. Looks like the site uses the new HTML5 <video> element to display the player. It may just be that it renders differently for different browsers. Thanks for giving me a reason to open the link again, this is a great piece of music
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Thank you very much everyone. Film and film music are also the things that pushed me onto the path of music composition. The particular film August Rush made me want to become a film composer and I've been working towards that goal ever since. John Williams scores to the Star Wars films were also a huge factor in that decision. I absolutely adore the combination of drama and music, especially with the technologies available in the world of film. Thank you for listening everyone.
    I may switch over to using box if dropbox isnt the best choice. Thanks Randy, your input is always greatly appreciated

Having just commented on another thread of yours, David, I had
    [apparently rashly] assumed from it that you were still learning a lot
    of the finer points -- and then this!

Beatifully done, in every regard! -- production, writing, and most
    especially a convincingly conducted performance.

I'll ring in a solid round of applause on this one, David. Well done.

And I'd also appreciate an encore, please (hint).

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks David! Your assumption is not totally unfounded however. I know very little about jazz composition and even less about jazz performance in Finale, which I think you may be referring to? I've only really learned traditional theory and orchestration through self study and a lot of practice. I still have much to learn especially in the regards of longer musical forms. Thanks for commenting on the conducting too. That took several takes, but I think I got it pretty convincing like you said.
    Thanks for listening!

Go Back to forum