• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another oldie for the festival

Share/Bookmark

Another oldie for the festival

A quick movement for trombone and piano, intended as the scherzo of a sonata, using the piano and solo trombone from GPO.

If I could I would revisit this, using the Steinway, and perhaps SampleModelling's trombone, and do something about the balance in a few passages - sadly though I lost the MIDI file, when a laptop died. Wisely I'd created backups, but it turned out the CD burner on the laptop had been producing corrupt discs. The Sibelius score was on the network at school...which was upgraded without warning during a vacation. So I'm down to this MP3, which I recovered by finding my original thread from a few years ago (many thanks to the Garritan forum for archiving so many years of posts).

In fact if anyone did download the score back then (someone asked me to post it, but the site I posted it on is now gone) I'd be grateful for a copy, as I can't be bothered to transcribe the piece.

http://soundcloud.com/ziggy185/trombone-piece
    David

Re: Another oldie for the festival

Pingu...
    Great energy!!

Would take a hella good player to pull it off on a slide...and the piano part isn't chopped liver either, as we say in New York.

Perhaps a valve player might take a crack at it (euphonium or baritone--might be better on baritone with its brighter tone)

If the score appears, I'd welcome a try at it

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Pingu...
    Great energy!!

Would take a hella good player to pull it off on a slide...and the piano part isn't chopped liver either, as we say in New York.

Perhaps a valve player might take a crack at it (euphonium or baritone--might be better on baritone with its brighter tone)

If the score appears, I'd welcome a try at it

Snor
    Thanks Snorlax - I was in two minds when I wrote it. I wanted the precision of a valve instrument, but the real bite of the trombone. My boss is the principle trombone with Fodens band, and one of the best jazz trombonists in the country, so I figured he might pull it off, but I lost the score before we could try. If he couldn't then the plan was to try a valve instrument - if it does turn up I'll send you a copy, and you can have a crack at it. The piano part isn't too bad, but if you can't find a pianist I could record the part.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    A quick movement for trombone and piano, intended as the scherzo of a sonata, using the piano and solo trombone from GPO... sadly though I lost the MIDI file, when a laptop died. Wisely I'd created backups, but it turned out the CD burner on the laptop had been producing corrupt discs. The Sibelius score was on the network at school...which was upgraded without warning during a vacation. So I'm down to this MP3, which I recovered by finding my original thread from a few years ago...In fact if anyone did download the score back then (someone asked me to post it, but the site I posted it on is now gone)...
    These stories are real nail-biters, David!-- On this thread and your other recent one--Omigosh, music almost lost, recovered at least in part - These are sobering reminders to all of us about the ephemeral quality of electronic media. We park things online, the sites disappear - We have scores on networks which get wiped clean - We archive on discs which manage to get corrupted - ARGH! - Our music can disappear, just when we thought it was safely tucked away. whew.

Well, you have to be a happy man to have at least found the MP3 of this short, incredibly energetic piece. And I don't think you need to spend any time agonizing about how you could produce an even better recording of it now. This recording is much more than just adequate. We can plainly hear what the two instruments are playing, and the impact of the duet is clearly conveyed.

As Snor has said, it would take two virtuoso performers to pull it off - exciting. If the score surfaces, I hope you get it to him so he can take a crack at playing it on a baritone.

Thanks so much for getting this up on the board for us, Pingu - The former glory of The Listening Room is at least temporarily being restored with postings from you and the other original Forum members. I'm loving it.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    These stories are real nail-biters, David!-- On this thread and your other recent one--Omigosh, music almost lost, recovered at least in part - These are sobering reminders to all of us about the ephemeral quality of electronic media. We park things online, the sites disappear - We have scores on networks which get wiped clean - We archive on discs which manage to get corrupted - ARGH! - Our music can disappear, just when we thought it was safely tucked away. whew.
    Indeed - in fact I think I also had the score backed up on a USB stick, which got fried when I put it in my brand new PC, that turned out to have some bad wiring. I can't tell any more, because the stick was literally melted, beyond the power of any recovery software, but I know I was using a stick to carry it between school and home. I really thought I had this one well-covered - it's like some higher power just didn't like it.
    David

My goodness, you do seem to have some bad luck with your music! I thought my situation was bad, being that I never name my files something that I can remember (you'd think I'd rename them to the title of whatever it is I'm writing once I've figured out what that title is, but that is rarely the case )

This sounds quite frantic, though I don't have much experience with brass, it does sound difficult, would be really interesting to see live. Hope you have luck tracking down the score!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum