• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: An Oldie for the Summer Festival

Share/Bookmark

An Oldie for the Summer Festival

Hi, everyone...

More tuba music for your listening pleasure.

This was one of my first efforts--it's all GPO 1, featuring, of course, the solo tuba.

It was done in Overture before I had much control over it or over GPO...but I think it's a
    pretty good example of what GPO1 could do nearly out of the box.

Time to Say Goodbye--the Operatic Tuba

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: An Oldie for the Summer Festival

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Hi, everyone...

More tuba music for your listening pleasure.

This was one of my first efforts--it's all GPO 1, featuring, of course, the solo tuba.

It was done in Overture before I had much control over it or over GPO...but I think it's a
    pretty good example of what GPO1 could do nearly out of the box.

Time to Say Goodbye--the Operatic Tuba

Snor
    Yeah! I'd say it is indeed a good example of what GPO could/can do "out of the box!" Really nice, Jim. A pleasant melody, and the tuba's performance sounds just wonderful. What a perfect thing for you to re-post for our Festival. Good going-Thanks!

Randy

Hello Jim, really enjoyed listening to this! Such a melodious Tuba piece, here! Very classy, not "HEY, I'M A TUBA," kind of music. This really shows the versatility of low brass, thanks for bringing this back from the past!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Con te-eeeeeee partir˛-˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛

Bocelli turned into a tuba is the funniest thing I ever heard!

Bravo Snor
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

An awesome arrangement, if only because we don't have to listen to Sarah Brightman! But, seriously, I loved it - definitely worth resurrecting.
    David

Thanks to Pingu, Fabiolcati, and Sanyarem...

There was just something about GPO 1 that I could not regain in subsequent versions. I'm not sophisticated enough to know what it was, but I miss it in later versions.

Anyway, I am especially glad that our resident Italian likes this!

...and yes, I might prefer my version over Sarah Brightman, but some might feel the other way, I suppose.

ATTENTION COMPOSERS/ARRANGERS: The tuba can be a very expressive solo instrument, and the current generation of players can play ANYTHING!!

I continue to be the poster boy for ok results with moderate processing. Maybe I ought to stop performing so I can improve my GPO skills.

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Thanks to Pingu, Fabiolcati, and Sanyarem...

ATTENTION COMPOSERS/ARRANGERS: The tuba can be a very expressive solo instrument, and the current generation of players can play ANYTHING!!

Snor
    You are so correct Snor! Tuba players are my best friends and thats why I always write great "moving" and expressive parts for them.
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    You are so correct Snor! Tuba players are my best friends and thats why I always write great "moving" and expressive parts for them.
    ~Rod
    What tuba players you know out there? I'm curious to see if there's anyone left in the area from when I lived in Greensboro.
    Of course, a lot of good tuba players were not born yet when I left Greensboro in 1983!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

That is so great that you lived in Greensboro! Well, in that area some of my best tuba and euphonium buddies are: Tom Deese, Chris Watson, and Jason Whittacre.
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    That is so great that you lived in Greensboro! Well, in that area some of my best tuba and euphonium buddies are: Tom Deese, Chris Watson, and Jason Whittacre.
    ~Rod
    None of those names rings a bell...they must be like young or something.

I played in a quartet with some UNC-G grad students way back when and spent time with the then-tuba player in the NC symphony. He may still be in the orchestra; I lost contact with him when I left. I also knew the fellow who played tuba in the Charlotte Symphony, but I did not know him very well.

I get to Chapel Hill once every other year or so to see my mother & brother and visit the Tuba Exchange

Tuba-euphonium quartet is a great sound!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast