• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: My dream electric guitar library

Share/Bookmark

My dream electric guitar library

I saw some requests on the Trilogy thread wishing Eric would take on electric guitar. Rather than thread hijacking, I thought I\'d step in way over my head and give my two cents here on what I believe it would take to make a killer electric guitar plug-in.

Answer: Great samples + great effects optimized to work together.

My premise is basically that the latest Yamaha, Korg and Roland synths all have a few killer guitar sounds (I love the Match Drive patch on my XV-5080), but they lack the breadth of articulations (and velocity layers, etc) to really do a full guitar emulation. Nevertheless, despite a puny amount of samples (by Giga standards) they can sound amazingly good in moderation, because they have great effects carefully tuned to the samples they do have.

The other half of this argument is that samples alone won\'t do it. For one, playing two notes at the same time with samples misses the kick of the real thing because it lacks (among other things) the intermodulation distortion you get when you do this on a real guitar/amp rig. On the other hand my Match Drive patch, with the XV effects, kicks like the real thing when I play two notes together.

Now it\'s entirely possible that Quantum Leap Strat (or VintAudio Clean Electric Guitars) plus Amplitude plus the right amount of tweaking would give me what I want, but I\'m reluctant to drop that much change on an experiment. Also I doubt I could do as good a job of matching up the samples to the effects as a real sonic developer could do.

For what its worth...

James

Re: My dream electric guitar library

James, I\'m passionate enough about seeing a lead guitar VSTi that I\'ll chime in here too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I did ask Eric about a guitar lib with good lead sounds some months ago but ultimately I would like to see it presented in an engine like Trilogy, with ADSR, CC controls, etc as mentioned in the other post.

Here\'s hoping....

YO Eric, you reading this dude? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Scott,

I\'m agreeing. I think to do this right it really needs to be a VSTi.

Regards,
    James

Originally posted by James Thornton:
    Scott,

I\'m agreeing. I think to do this right it really needs to be a VSTi.

Regards,
    James
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I hope not! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Why can\'t it be a sample library?

Virtual Guitarist and other currently available samples pretty much covers rythm playing, however I agree a good versatile lead guitar library would be slick. VSti, stand alone, whateve works. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry, but leads alone will not do it for me. There has to be some outstanding acoustic guitars in it too or else...ore else...mmmmm...or else I\'m not buying it! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Alright, let\'s say fifty-fifty. And in that electric department I like to see all kinds of playing styles, not just leads. Heck, why not name the VSTi \"LEADLESS\" and drop the leads altogether.

------------
    Alex Cremers

With amp emulating plugins like Amplitude, why would you make the sample developer reinvent the wheel by requiring the guitar articulations to be presented in a VSTi module?

The way I see it, if the sampler has the necessary articulation control - and V3 will probably have more than enough - all you need then is a way to process the sound through an amp model.

That way you get to choose your favourite amp plugin, and don\'t waste money on one you perhaps don\'t need in the end.

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    With amp emulating plugins like Amplitude, why would you make the sample developer reinvent the wheel by requiring the guitar articulations to be presented in a VSTi module?

The way I see it, if the sampler has the necessary articulation control - and V3 will probably have more than enough - all you need then is a way to process the sound through an amp model.

That way you get to choose your favourite amp plugin, and don\'t waste money on one you perhaps don\'t need in the end.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Exactly! Thank you.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by SCARBEE:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by James Thornton:
    Scott,

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I hope not! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Why can\'t it be a sample library? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think for guitar to be done right, the meat will be in the effects/processing. Thus VSTi.
    I\'ll keep dreaming about it, and running synth leads through stomp boxes. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry Scarbee, no offence intended toward your awesome libraries!!

Rick, can you point out any sites that talk about Amplitude? I would like to learn more about it.

Cheers, Scott.

Go Back to forum