• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Unison and non Unison

Share/Bookmark

Unison and non Unison

Does "unison" key switch work? I assume it means two instruments per section; eg 2 oboes playing the same note. Then when one selects the key switch "non unison" it should be a less full sound--solo-like.

I don't hear this difference. Am I misunderstanding something?

Re: Unison and non Unison

Quote Originally Posted by JM1234321 View Post
    Does "unison" key switch work? I assume it means two instruments per section; eg 2 oboes playing the same note. Then when one selects the key switch "non unison" it should be a less full sound--solo-like.

I don't hear this difference. Am I misunderstanding something?
    Where are you seeing these "unison" and "non unison" switches---?

Randy

Randy, I have them in the XML file used in Overture (Notation) for e.g. EWQL SO. Cannot find them in the XML for Garritan Libs. Don't know what they are doing, never tried.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Randy, I have them in the XML file used in Overture (Notation) for e.g. EWQL SO. Cannot find them in the XML for Garritan Libs. Don't know what they are doing, never tried.

Raymond
    Hi, Raymond - Thanks for that info. OK, so it sounds like something used in the programming for some Libraries, but you're not finding it in Garritan because it isn't there!

JM1234321, we still don't know where you're seeing this "unison" - It's not part of GPO's programming, no controls for it that I've ever seen. If you want instruments in unison, you load another instrument, and either have the 2 play the same stave, or track, set to the same MIDI channel, or you enter/play the notes again for the second instrument.

Randy

Thanks for the replies, friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Where are you seeing these "unison" and "non unison" switches---?

Randy
    In Overture. When one adds an articulation, there is pull down menu; when opened it has keyswitches. The winds have 'vibrato', ('flutter tounge',) 'unison' and 'non unison.'

Hi, Raymond - Thanks for that info. OK, so it sounds like something used in the programming for some Libraries, but you're not finding it in Garritan because it isn't there!

JM1234321, we still don't know where you're seeing this "unison" - It's not part of GPO's programming, no controls for it that I've ever seen. If you want instruments in unison, you load another instrument, and either have the 2 play the same stave, or track, set to the same MIDI channel, or you enter/play the notes again for the second instrument.

Randy

The way you set up your wind sections is the way I do it too. "Layers" of patches; then I use the pull down--found inside "articluations" such as "solo" or "a2" --to select my solists and auxillery patches[eg "piccolo"] also on that staff.

I think these keyswithces are a GPO quality. They are simply not working in the earlier manifesations of the GPO set. I have 'Aria' but don't use most of it.

Thanks for the replies, friends.

In Overture. When one adds an articulation, there is pull down menu; when opened it has keyswitches. The winds have 'vibrato', ('flutter tounge',) 'unison' and 'non unison.'
    Interesting - Raymond's your man. See his reply in post #3. He uses Overture, and is familiar with these "unison" switches, and has seen them for EWQL instruments. But I am very sure he's right, that there's no programming in Garritan for using them. The menu you're seeing in Overture is generic, but those particular switches don't apply to Garritan. I've used GPO and all the Garritan Libraries for years now, and this is the first I've ever heard mention of them.

Randy

Interesting - Raymond's your man. See his reply in post #3. He uses Overture, and is familiar with these "unison" switches, and has seen them for EWQL instruments. But I am very sure he's right, that there's no programming in Garritan for using them. The menu you're seeing in Overture is generic, but those particular switches don't apply to Garritan. I've used GPO and all the Garritan Libraries for years now, and this is the first I've ever heard mention of them.

Randy
    Hi.

I keep hearing about going into the XML and editing there. Given the instability of certain progs, I want to know more about this.

I have edited XMLs before coming from video game design (where I am a 3D modeler and artist).

I've opened .ove scores in notepad, weeded through the symbols and saved to no avail.

Is there a prog that renders this comprehensible? A crash course on how to edit overture XMLs?

Also in this category, I've heard tell that one can transport works from prog to prog (eg overture to Sibelius), skipping converting/reducing to midi. Is there a crash course on how to do this?

...Is there a prog that renders this comprehensible? A crash course on how to edit overture XMLs?

Also in this category, I've heard tell that one can transport works from prog to prog (eg overture to Sibelius), skipping converting/reducing to midi. Is there a crash course on how to do this?
    Well, both questions are ones I have no answer to. I started doing an internet search, and didn't find anything yet. Maybe with more time and dedication to the search you could find info you want, JM.

Randy

Hi.

Is there a prog that renders this comprehensible? A crash course on how to edit overture XMLs?

Sonic Scores = Overture has its own forum. Use a free XML editor for the files listed under

Program Files (86) / Geniesoft / Overture 4 / VSTdevices or go to your download/installation folder.

Raymond

Go Back to forum