• Register
  • Help

Topic: Views from an Ethereal (I and II)

Share/Bookmark

Views from an Ethereal (I and II)

Hello again! Here are a couple of pieces from way back when! Though they were not originally intended to be movements of a single work, they were titled Views from an Ethereal simply because they followed the same general idea: following an intangible (hence, ethereal) viewer as it observes various scenes.

They also share other similarities: they were both written in the spring, and they are both exactly 5:12 seconds long (the videos are, at least...I think the audio files were originally 5:11). The fact that they are the same length was coincidental, but I did intentionally write them both in the spring.

I will post the videos, which flash each titled section as it begins.

Views from an Ethereal:
    Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMyOruh2rvo

Original Thread Post
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...est-Completed)

Views from an Ethereal II (subtitled The Desert: From Dusk to Dawn)
    Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMv1aV5MjfY

Original Thread Post
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...m-Dusk-to-Dawn

Thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Views from an Ethereal (I and II)

I listened to the first one.
    Its interesting how the subject matter of this work closely mirrors that of my 2nd symphony.
    You took a distinctly cinematic approach, a bit different from my more "classical" approach. it works.
    I was actually a bit disappointed that there was no actual video to go with the music!

By the way, you got an excellent sound from Finale.
    What were your Ambience Reverb settings?

Permit me a minor criticism: the final section, "The Mountain", was really much too short and contained too little musical material. It was not much more than a final cadence. I think you could have invested a bit more and given us a slightly more ambitious ending. Because otherwise, the piece is quite interesting.

Hi Sanyarem

Thank you for posting this.
    I really enjoyed the content of your past and present compositions on your YouTube channel.
    You're a master at rendering Finale scores.
    And the "Anagram solving algorithm" is really enjoyable. Never though of Debussy as a soundtrack for this sort of contents.

Regards
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I listened to the first one.
    Its interesting how the subject matter of this work closely mirrors that of my 2nd symphony.
    You took a distinctly cinematic approach, a bit different from my more "classical" approach. it works.
    I was actually a bit disappointed that there was no actual video to go with the music!

By the way, you got an excellent sound from Finale.
    What were your Ambience Reverb settings?

Permit me a minor criticism: the final section, "The Mountain", was really much too short and contained too little musical material. It was not much more than a final cadence. I think you could have invested a bit more and given us a slightly more ambitious ending. Because otherwise, the piece is quite interesting.
    Hello there, qc! You caught me, I am very lazy when it comes to creating videos with my music like some of the other members on the forum Though, these are some of the earliest videos of my music I made. Lately, I've been either following the score in the video, or if I'm feeling particularly sloth, I just take screenshots of a couple of the pages of the score and "float" them across the screen.

I'm really glad you liked this, I find it easier to write when I have some sort of goal, theme, or idea to write to, even if it is just a simple concept. I think you said something similar to this in your repost of Northern Variations. For me, just having a couple melodies to put together a piece (which I have tried before), does not work very well. If I have some sort of goal or story behind them, even if I don't elaborate what that story is, then it is much easier for me to write, and I'm usually more happy with the outcome.

The ending: yes, I agree. I feel I rushed this ending, I wish I could say what was going through my mind when I finished it, but I honestly don't remember! Thanks for your comments!

Edit: nearly forgot the reverb settings! Views I was wetter than I typically use: -3.4 dB dry, 0.0 wet. Views II used 6.0 db Dry, 0.7 wet.

fabiolcati

Ah-ha, I'm glad you found the Anagram Solving video, I had a lot of fun with that

I'm glad you enjoyed listening to these videos and others on my channel. Most of the music I use there is GPO (the Debussy being a live recording, and some percussion ensembles using a bit of Virtual Drumline mixed with GPO).

Thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I'm so excited, Michael - These posts are ideal for our on-going Listening Room Festival, being big, juicy, thought-provoking compositions as well as stellar examples of the kind of excellence this Forum achieves from time to time.

But beyond the context of the Forum, and more important, is your personal achievement with these wonderful pieces. So many ideas ripple along in sturdy, challenging waves, and they just keep coming.

They're also very good examples of how good Finale renderings can sound when the user applies some attention to detail.

I notice Dpdan suggested on one of the old threads that the panning of instruments was a bit too extreme, and I understand why he'd say that, some really are way off to the sides. But at least you spread things out where they can breathe, nothing "bunched up" in your sound.

The first piece was posted during a period when I was away from the Forum, so I'm fortunate that you brought it back to our attention this morning. NOTE - the Soundclick links on that thread aren't working anymore, but they are on the second piece's old thread.

You've had the videos up for a few years now, so this is just a thought for next time - I think it would be better to keep your title cards up on the screen all through each scene. I didn't keep track as well as I could have, because I was listening, not looking at the screen - I'd glance back hoping to be reminded of where we were in the piece, but the screen would be black.

In 2009 I did hear the second piece. Actually I revived the thread when I was looking back at older posts. What I said then I still stand by:

I stumbled upon a post from you I'd earlier neglected to listen to.

Lucky me - It's like finding a misplaced nugget of gold. --This is just excellent, compositionally and renderingly--hehe--new word.

Picturesque, evocative, thoroughly successful. Applause to you, my friend!
    Applause to you, Michael - This is wonderful music.

Randy

Hello Randy! I had just finished responding to Richard "rwayland's" ​thread and was about to sign off for the night when I remembered I hadn't responded to your comments yet! Guess I was just caught up in the music

First, thank you very much for your kind words, they truly mean a lot. The videos, I agree, were really not well done. I actually went back through on the video for Views I and made an "in-youtube-video" edit, using annotations. It looks quite silly, but I felt it was funny enough to leave it in. (I missed the second 'c' in bicyclist) Before I had posted these two videos, I had tried a couple different methods of posting music to youtube. One was just doing a screen-capture of Windows Media Player, which turned out horribly. The other was playing the score in finale while trying to synchronize it with the audio file, which was nearly impossible since the play-back in finale was slower than the audio recording (my computer back then wasn't all that powerful )

The format I use the most for videos now is to simply take screenshots of parts of the score and update them in time with the music. You don't have that finale playback line that follows the music note-by-note, but I feel it is a good compromise of sound quality and video entertainment! If I'm feeling lazy, though, I take a couple screens of a few pages from the score and use them sort of like static-images.

Wow, I did not mean to go into so much detail about my youtube videos, they're pretty simple

Anyways, I really enjoy the idea of posting older music that this festival has brought up largely in part because of the original posts. It really brings up memories of how my philosophy towards music has changed, how my style has changed, and how my recording techniques have changed. I do, in fact, remember DPDAN's comments about panning. I have since trashed the concept of using Finale's built-in panning like I mentioned in the original thread, and just use Aria's (or back then Kontakt's) panning settings.

Again, thanks for posting Randy, your posts on the forum are always entertaining to read!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Thanks for posting these - I thoroughly enjoyed both pieces. It seems to me you have a fantastic sense of poise - just placing things exactly where they need to be. With that in mind, I don't think there is a problem with the ending of the first one at all. The first time I simply listened without watching the video at all, and what's there works perfectly well as a whole. It's only when you start dividing it into bits, and trying to hear 'The Mountain' as a whole section that there is any problem - after all, it is just the ending to the whole. Perhaps just remove the titles?
    David

Really very nice. I agree with some of the other posters that the divisions in the piece are only labels. I think the ideas move from one to the next without disruption. So, they work.

Thanks for posting.

Hello Pingu and jdsnyderii! Thanks for taking a listen, I appreciate your comments. One thing I wish I had done was written down the times at which each section began. It is certainly possible (the video being posted a year and a half after completing it) that I had the start of The Mountain incorrect in the video, but I can't be sure about that. I typically prefer more vague descriptions of my music, and perhaps in this case, I was a bit too specific

Again, thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum