• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Tom Sawyer" - the Finale

Share/Bookmark

Arrow "Tom Sawyer" - the Finale

"TOM SAWYER" - the Finale

(Click the poster, and on the web page, click in the green menu left of the video screen)

If you would prefer hearing an MP3, and/or don't have Flash which the video requires:

Short and sweet, the show's Finale is a blending of the opening number, "St. Petersburg" and Act Two's production number, "Celebrate." The former's chorus is reprised at a slower tempo, and in a gentler tone than the original, as the townspeople bid Huckleberry Finn a fond farewell. The latter is high-spirited like the original, and it dovetails into another lively passage from "St. Petersburg." During the climactic final measures, part of the refrain from "The River Is The Reason" concludes the show.

Inspired by all the recent video posts in the LR, I decided it'd be fun to conclude the "Sawyer" posts with this clip from the show's video demo. It's not from a production, but rather it's a series of visuals to illustrate the script and score in a way that makes for a more entertaining way to study the show. I used the original 19th Century illustrations, paintings, pictures from miscellaneous sources, and clips from 4 different movie versions of the novel. At the end of this clip, you'll see the 4 different boys from those various films, including the one from Russia. It's ironic that the most faithful film adaptation was produced in Russia, not the U.S!

Actor friends read through the script, performing all the characters. I recorded that session, then put together a sound track with all the dialogue, sound effects, underscoring and songs. Later, I put visuals to it for a video demo of the whole project.

Below the list of instruments are BONUS TRACKS* for those interested in hearing a few short instrumental cues. They're underscoring to the flurry of action that concludes the cave scene after Tom's love song. Descriptions of the scene's action are also below.

THANK YOU to everyone who's heard at least some of my "Sawyer" music over the last year. I knew before I started posting the songs that they wouldn't appeal to most Forum members. So I especially appreciate that at least a handful of you stuck it out through the end. I've had a great time sharing the music with you.

Garritan instruments-

From GPO:

Full strings
    1st strings
    2nd strings
    Violas
    Cellos
    Basses
    Solo v1
    solo v2
    solo viola
    solo cello
    solo bass
    Gliss harp
    Chromatic harp
    GPO horn
    Horn over
    Horns SAM section
    Horns SAM section (instance 2)
    tympani

From JABB:

Tuba solo
    Bass trombone
    Harmonica
    Accordion

From WORLD:

Fiddle
    Banjo
    Dulcimer
    Jaw harps

From COMB:

Piccolos 1
    Piccolos 2
    Flutes 1
    Flutes 2
    Clarinets 1
    Clarinets 2
    Trumpets 1
    Cornets 1
    Flugels 1
    Tubas 1
    Euphs 1
    Trombones 1
    Glock
    Cymbals
    Bass drum small
    Snares 1, 2, 3

ALSO - The Garritan Stradivari
    (as fiddle)

Other Libraries:
    Kore acoustic guitar
    Dimension acoustic bass
    ezdrummer

*BONUS TRACKS

"Injun Joe in the caves"

Shortly after the song "It's a Big World," Injun Joe appears. The kids are trapped, the avalanche having sealed off their exit. The only person who's heard Tom hollering for help is Joe. "I'm going to kill you, Tom Sawyer," Joe says, and then starts inching along the narrow path that will take him to Tom and Becky, knife clasped between his teeth.

Tom begs Becky to forgive him for leading them to their end. He regrets never becoming a man, and thinks he'll be dying as the same silly, careless child he's always been.
    -----------------
    Musical notes - This makes use of a number of Garritan World instruments, Native American percussion in particular.
    ----------------------

"Huck rushes in"

Suddenly, Huckleberry Finn jumps into the scene. He tackles Joe and a fight ensues. When Huck's thrown to the ground, Tom demands that Joe leave him alone, and to just finish what he came to do. But Huck is up again, and both he and Tom are thrashing away at the murderer. Suddenly, Injun Joe loses his footing and starts to tumble backwards into the black void on the other side of the narrow path where they've been fighting. The boys reach out to grab Joe's arm. They're telling Joe to hold on, and the frantic killer grasps desperately at the boys' arms - but they can't hold his weight. With a horrifying scream, Joe falls into the black depths to his death.

"Why'd you come back, Huck?" "When a friend's in need, you can't just walk away," replies Huck, echoing what Tom said earlier about saving Muff Potter's life by breaking the oath he and Huck had made.
    ----------------------
    Musical notes - This has several motifs from the show's score - "Me And My Best Friend" which introduced Huck Finn, "The River Is The Reason" from the rafting scene, and at approx :20, where Joe starts slipping, we hear the motif from the first time Joe sang in the show's opening number.

Staging note - The unusual amount of physical activity a scene like this calls for is an opportunity for the high theatricalism of stage work to shine. The entire cave scene should be darkly lit, with just patches of light that the characters step through as they wind through the passages. In this fight scene, only a small portion on stage right (audience left) should be lit, indicating the narrow ledge. When Joe "falls," he's lying stomach down on the floor and is pulled back into the darkness by an unseen stage hand - or one who is half seen, eerily dressed all in black. Thanks to the brilliance of traditional Japanese and Chinese theatre for simple but elegant staging solutions like that!
    -----------------------------
    Huck knows the way out of the cave, and as they make their way out, they discover why Injun Joe had come to the cave in the first place. In Act One, Tom and Huck had overheard Joe saying that the chest of gold discovered in the haunted house would be buried at "Number two, under the cross." Finally the mystery is cleared up. There on the wall in a cave Joe called "number two," they see a cross, and under it, the chest of gold. The kids are rich.

"Daddy!"

When they reach the narrow exit out of the cave, Becky is hoisted out first. Her father, Judge Thatcher, and the search party he organized are nearby, and with a shout, Becky runs to them. Soon all the towns people are pouring on stage, elated to see the lost children again.

The whole story of the adventures in the cave comes tumbling out, and everyone is amazed to see that the children are suddenly the richest people in town!

But Huck doesn't want any part of having money, settling down, becoming "respectable." He gives his share of the treasure to Muff Potter, and bids everyone farewell. Hand in hand, Tom and Becky reluctantly wave goodbye to their free-spirited friend. - Song cue.

It's a wrap!

Randy

Re: "Tom Sawyer" - the Finale

Hello Randy! It's great to see this post! Not because it is the end of your "Tom Sawyer" adaptation, of course, but simply because it has been much anticipated!

Though the finale was short, you really managed to fit a lot of musical material in it (as well as some other voice actors )! It is a fitting conclusion, and I would love to hear it live!

As always, I really enjoyed the underscoring as well, very nice flashes of color. The stage description of Joe's death was also quite interesting, thanks for letting us in on the details.

Thanks for posting!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Yo Randy! The finale is great and I really love the instrumental cues. Your Tom Sawyer has been a fun listen and I am looking forward to hearing your next project. Thanks a lot for your marvelous post's on this.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Hello Randy! It's great to see this post! Not because it is the end of your "Tom Sawyer" adaptation, of course, but simply because it has been much anticipated!

Though the finale was short, you really managed to fit a lot of musical material in it (as well as some other voice actors )! It is a fitting conclusion, and I would love to hear it live!

As always, I really enjoyed the underscoring as well, very nice flashes of color. The stage description of Joe's death was also quite interesting, thanks for letting us in on the details.

Thanks for posting!
    Michael, your constant enthusiasm and support on these "Sawyer" threads over the past year has been very much appreciated. I've really enjoyed always seeing you there in one of those front row seats.

And I'm glad the wrap up post entertained you. The Finale is indeed short. The first version was longer, but the voice of reason that speaks from my years of experience in theatre spoke up, and I listened - once the story's wrapped up, endings shouldn't be dragged out. Give 'em a short but sweet punch of a Finale that hopefuly leaves them wanting more.

Interesting observation I've made while this thread is still new. I've always wondered how many actual music plays there are compared to the number of hits a thread gets. So, since I had the video for this parked on one of my own sites, I was able to put a counter on the page. Subtracting my own visits, there have been approximately 10 views. But there are 98 hits on the thread as I type this. Isn't that interesting? The vast majority of people clicking to open a post actually never listen to the music--! I find that surprising.

After this has been up for awhile, I'll do my next bit for our Listening Room Summer Festival by re-posting one of the earliest things I put up here shortly after joining the Forum.

Thanks again, Michael.

Randy

Well Randy,

This is great end to a unbelievable effort. I am truly in awe of the accomplishment.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Yo Randy! The finale is great and I really love the instrumental cues. Your Tom Sawyer has been a fun listen and I am looking forward to hearing your next project. Thanks a lot for your marvelous post's on this.
    Jay
    Thank you very much, Jay. I've really had such an excellent time putting these posts together for you and the rest of the Garritan Gang. I'm happy you enjoyed them so much.

I'm in the middle of another stage musical project, one that's taking much longer than "Sawyer." I've worked on this current one 9 months now, and it could take another 9 months to finish it - we'll see! I'll probably wait until it's finished before I post any of that.

Meanwhile, it's going to be fun to do some re-posting for our Festival.

I hope we see more posts here in the LR soon! Things have been slowing down.

Randy

More great work, Randy. I have only heard the music from the past few months and have enjoyed all of it.

Since a very large number and variety of instruments are used, do you plan to have the cast on stage work with your recorded accompaniment? The high quality of the recordings suggests to me that this might be possible, but, I am sure there would be a lot of difficulties. If it can be done then it would reduce the expense of a production considerably and no one in the pit would make wrong entrances, play out of tune, etc.

Also, it is surprising to me that the number of people who actually listen to the music that is posted is not larger than what the counter on this piece indicates. I hope that many forum members will come back at a future time and preview your music.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Well Randy,

This is great end to a unbelievable effort. I am truly in awe of the accomplishment.

Jim
    Thanks for letting me know you heard this, Jim - it's truly appreciated.

It doesn't seem possible, but I started sharing "Tom Sawyer" on this Forum on July 13 of 2011! More than a year ago!

Below is the link to the opening number of the show. I'm putting it here on this thread since this Finale has a lot of reprise material from the opening:

Opening number from "Tom Sawyer"

The gentle choir segment that starts off the Finale is in sharp contrast to the original, up-beat version heard in that opening, so now people who are interested can more easily compare the two.

Randy

Randy,
    It's always inspirational to hear a true master at work!

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Well this is fantastic Randy. I haven't stopped by the forum much lately, and have somehow managed to completely miss the fact that you had a new project in the pipeline. Assuming you've been posting as it progressed I'll now have a lot of fun going back through the listening room to find other tracks.

I love the sound you've achieved - particularly the way you've worked touches of americana into a more traditional orchestral setting (I actually laughed out loud at the end, when the jaw harp got the last word). So now when you launch a tour of the UK it needs to be a double-bill of Dorian and Tom Sawyer - I'll be first in line.
    David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast