• Register
  • Help

Topic: Abbey Road Crossing

Share/Bookmark

Abbey Road Crossing

I see that Abbey Road Studios has a cam on the crossing area that the Fab Four made famous on their Abbey Road Album almost 43 years ago. Actually the crossing has been moved since those days but it's still a cool thing.

http://www.abbeyroad.com/Crossing

Re: Abbey Road Crossing

That is so cool! I just saw a car drive through the wet street. Ah, there goes another one. Love it. --Maybe if I wait long enough I'll see Sir Paul!

Randy

There was a time, many years ago, when I used to commute in and out to the office along that road.

I used to get so brassed off with the tourists in the summer months.
    The taxi drivers have been asked not to run them over, it's bad for publicity!

I imagine it's getting a lot of extra visitors now due the Olympics.

Poor Londoners.

Wasn't the opening ceremony GOOD?

When I watched for a while I was amazed how quiet it was for 5.00 p.m.
    Normally there are cues of traffic at that time.
    I imagine most office workers have taken their summer holiday to avoid getting snarled up in the Olympic traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    ...I used to get so brassed off with the tourists in the summer months...
    Well then you'd have to get "brassed off" with me too, John - I've never been to London, but you can bet the Abbey Road crossing would be on my list of places to go! Tourists - you gotta love 'em - they're good for a country's economy!

Randy

It is interesting to see how the center lines and curb lines are in a zig zag pattern. What's that all about?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

The zigzag lines?

"You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians."

Courtesy of the UK Highway Code.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Well then you'd have to get "brassed off" with me too, John - I've never been to London, but you can bet the Abbey Road crossing would be on my list of places to go! Tourists - you gotta love 'em - they're good for a country's economy!

Randy
    Maybe good for the economy, but not for people who gotta work for their living. GRRRR!

Sometimes they'd snarl up the traffic for hundreds of yards.
    Always worse in the afternoons when I was trying to get home again.
    They were still tucked up in their nice comfy hotel beds when I was going in at crack of dawn, or earlier.

You've got my permission to go, Randy, I don't work in Euston Road any more. Thank heavens.

I used to love the buzz in London, but twenty odd years commuting and one session trapped underground, with King's Cross station ablaze not far above me put paid to that. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Cross_fire

I was going home late from Moorgate station to King's Cross, on the Metropolitan tube line, to catch the main line train back to Hitchin in Hertfordshire at the time. I found a new job outside London in Elstree (not far from the film studios) soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    ...I used to love the buzz in London, but twenty odd years commuting and one session trapped underground, with King's Cross station ablaze not far above me put paid to that. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Cross_fire...
    Horrific disaster, that--omg, wooden escalators circa 1940's catching fire. Thanks for the history, John awful as it is. Quite understandable that you finally "put paid to that" and moved.

Lighter note - "brassed off" "put paid to that" - expressions my wife and I hadn't heard before. Colorful. Go one - say more English stuff. --We suddenly realize we don't know if you prefer to be called "English" or "British." Seems like I recall someone there saying that English is a language, and people are Brits.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Horrific disaster, that--omg, wooden escalators circa 1940's catching fire. Thanks for the history, John awful as it is. Quite understandable that you finally "put paid to that" and moved.

Lighter note - "brassed off" "put paid to that" - expressions my wife and I hadn't heard before. Colorful. Go one - say more English stuff. --We suddenly realize we don't know if you prefer to be called "English" or "British." Seems like I recall someone there saying that English is a language, and people are Brits.

Randy
    Yes, Randy. Quite literally a nightmare.

On a happier note, yes, more English idioms, in common usage.
    Brassed off is somehow more acceptable than the usual expletive.

British if you come from the British Isles. England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.
    But I'm English coming from England and, of course, a Brit too.
    If you come from Scotland you're a Scot or Scottish.
    Welsh from Wales and Irish from the Emerald Isle.

Scotch is what one drinks, especially a good malt whisky, whiskey from Ireland.
    Talisker, Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie, Glenfarclas, Isle of Jura to name but a very few.

I'm very fortunate that, not too many miles away, is a Scotch shop, voted best in Germany in 2004, that has a good stock!
    Hick!

I teach British English (BE) as opposed to AE here, where I currently live, in Germany, a couple of times a week.
    The Germans love lots of idioms in their lessons. Can't get enough of them.

John.

Go Back to forum