• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Can someone point me to a MIDI big band mp3?

Share/Bookmark

Can someone point me to a MIDI big band mp3?

I\'m looking for some really GOOD mockups of big band stuff. Anyone got some links/cds/anything?

I want to do some more research and see how far people have pushed this genre in MIDI.

I know mine could have been better, so I want to see what people are doing out there, and see what people AREN\'T doing.

I know live players are the ultimate choice, and its looking like I\'ll go that route for the final mixes, but I\'ll still need to do MIDI mockups and need to get as close as possible.

Re: Can someone point me to a MIDI big band mp3?

Thanks,

but uhm..

hmmm, maybe I\'m being misunderstood.

I\'m looking for MIDI mockups, not GM MIDI files, but mp3s/cds/audio files of actual stuff someone\'s spent time on with quality samples.

I want to find out if there\'s a GOOD mockuper out there, or what quality stuff has actually been done in MIDI.

Even if you have personal stuff maybe I can take a listen outside of the public eye. I jsut want to hear whats being done to know where the quality I have done, and will be doing is on the scale of things.

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    Thanks,

but uhm..

hmmm, maybe I\'m being misunderstood.

I\'m looking for MIDI mockups, not GM MIDI files, but mp3s/cds/audio files of actual stuff someone\'s spent time on with quality samples.

I want to find out if there\'s a GOOD mockuper out there, or what quality stuff has actually been done in MIDI.

Even if you have personal stuff maybe I can take a listen outside of the public eye. I jsut want to hear whats being done to know where the quality I have done, and will be doing is on the scale of things.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Here are two attempts.
    I´ve got you under my skin , a bit corny. Besides not being Frank Sinatra and having his voice, I´m a bit unhappy with the trombone \"solo\" at 2:03, lacking the samples, both for trombone and trumpets.

Mr Bojangles , it takes ages to finish this stuff, and this one probably never will be done.

Mats

Sorry [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The best I\'ve heard is from Saxman28, who posts on this site. His address is http://www.alanrussellmusic.com/

His main instrument is the Yamaha Motif. He\'s now into Giga, and is doing more (piano, bass) with larger samples these days. The Motif isn\'t bad, but the fast sax runs start to sound like the accordion. Then again, I *always* find that to be true of midi sax. We really need a VSL-type sax/bigband performance set.

I\'ve had many conversations with Saxman, and have learned that he\'s a realtime kind of guy. He doesn\'t do any/much manual entry, and only tweaks out mistakes. One could argue that he could do more realistic performances with meticulous hand tweaking, but that\'s not what floats his boat. The feeling I get is that he loves great arrangements and the challenge of performing Jazz parts live on the keys.

So, better instruments would serve him well, but there\'s not much out there today. More hand tweaking would add realism, but that\'s not his thing. But even with these limitations, Saxman\'s midi renditions are about as good as I\'ve heard in the bigband style.

I believe that he can point you to other Motif-listers who also have some great bigband results.

(Alan, if I\'ve mis-characterized you or your music in any way, please put things straight. I\'m just trying to frame the expectations. This can be a tough crowd!)

Thanks all

some really good stuff here, all great music [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sharm an instrument/sample list would be awesome. I\'m especially interested in the tom hits with the snare chain rattle.

I can hear where some those samples would sound bad with the loop points, but jsut listening to it gives me a bit more insight in \"what works\".

Mats, great attempts. Again it helps as well.

Jon, Alan\'s stuff is good writing and good playing, but the motif stuff just doesn\'t get where I believe I need to get to. I\'ve gained some ideas tho from listening to the stuff, so thanks as well.

Franky, didn\'t mean to come off as a jerk.

King,

I know what you mean about the Motif. It just doesn\'t have the same quality on the Jazz side that the latest crop of string libraries have on the orchestral side.

From Giga we can get good drums, bass, piano, vibes and guitar. It\'s the brasswinds that aren\'t well represented.

Some of the demos from Quantum Leap Brass sound pretty bright, but fall apart on fast runs. The Bigga Sax sounds good for slow, mournful Jazz (as in the most recent demo), but it doesn\'t really do the fast & bright thing either.

That leaves us with loops and grooves. The Phantom Horns demo sounds really good, but I believe that it\'s mostly a collection of full section phrases. I\'m not above painting loops for the odd R&B piece, but it\'s not much of a composing/performing tool. And I believe that Alan would rather take the Motif to his grave than spend his time painting the worlds greatest sounding pre-fab loops.

If you find any great brasswind solutions, let us know. You\'d think that after the success of Chicago that film composers would really be interested in some great bigband/Early Jazz libraries.

Jon and King Idiot..

Thanks for the reference and thanks for the listen. The bottom line here is that I continue to write for Big Band eventhough the Giga libraries are on the thin side here not accomodating me with the choice sounds I would prefer. I know excatly what I am looking for but this is hardly a Department store where you set out for the aisle having your product to purchase. This is a HUGE challenge for all of us! It is a wait and see game and my scoring for the Jazz Genre will thrive forward here no matter what happens. I accept all critiques as a matter of artists desiring better samples as we move ahead in our technologies and my notations, fingers and master keyboard await their arrival.
    I am ready to ROLL!!
    If I\'ve given you some ideas, I am pleased with what I currently have and use productively.

thank you all (Thanks for the Votes too)

Alan Russell

Sharmy,

The doubling and tripling of brass ensembles are interesting. My technique here is to use my Motif Medium and High brass ensembles in octaves while throwing in a lead trumpet on the top end. It is more convincing than listening to the ensemble fills and counter melodies as individual sections. The dynamics of a sweet string ensemble rotates nicely when the flutes ride the surf and possibly using a nice orchestral trumpet leading the bows. There are many ways to fool the ears with samples having very few bytes for their storage.

As always Sharmy, I adore your work and talents.
    Please give a listen below when time permits..

Alan Russell

Go Back to forum