• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just finished with convolution reverb and G-CPOC.

Share/Bookmark

Just finished with convolution reverb and G-CPOC.

Two movements from a Bach cantata, BWV 6.
    All GPO4 or G-CPOC.

I decided to try out the new convolution reverb with these, included with Aria 1.5, as well, in the second piece, as a couple of pipes from the Classic Pipe Organs Collection (G-CPOC?).

The first aria, for alto, doesn't specify for the continuo, whether organ or harpsichord should be used.
    To me it was crying out for harpsichord.
    What do you think?

The opening instrument is supposed to be an oboe da caccia.
    I'm using an EQ'd cor anglais.

https://www.box.com/s/70be22911b0a6cc8509c

The second aria, actually a chorale, for soprano (but in my wife's vocal range) I contrasted using the organ.
    In this case a few light stops from the baroque and classical instruments.

The solo violoncello piccolo was particularly difficult to get right, and I'm still not sure if it sounds correct.
    An EQ'd cello. Maybe a tad less low frequency?
    Your comments would be most welcome.

https://www.box.com/s/c6fb8d5a305e50e6017e

Both use the church convolution reverb in moderation.

Hope you like 'em?
    Kind regards,
    John.

Re: Just finished with convolution reverb and G-CPOC.

Thanks for helping to keep the Festival rolling along, John!

The new convolution reverb in ARIA sounds fantastic in these. Using moderation, as you say, with the church pre-set was an excellent decision. The tracks have air, I can feel the space, but the music isn't awash in heavy reverb as happens too often in virtual concert recordings. Good going.

The harpsichord sounds wonderful to me. No exotic Scala File used I take it?--just "out of the box" harpsichord, which, to me, is more than sufficient for a very successful sound.

I'm not the person to judge whether or not you made the oboe sound more like the curved "oboe da caccia" with your EQ work. Sounds great to me, but the subtle tonal differences between oboes or variations of most instruments are pretty much lost on me. I find all sampled instruments to be approximations of the originals anyway, and so I haven't gotten fussy about the differentiations. But it's fun that you wanted to get a more authentic sound appropriate for the music.

And so your experiment at getting the presumably lighter sound of the violoncello piccolo (thank you Wiki again for educating me) seems successful to me - I can certainly hear that it's been EQd to be lighter, more nasal, maybe more viola-like. But I have no idea if the results are more authentic or not. I'm impressed with your desire to simulate these historical instruments though!

The organ sounds wonderful - Both of these mixes are so nicely balanced, John. In this second MP3, you've kept the organ subordinate and supportive as it should be, for instance.

Hmmm, what to call The Garritan Classic Pipe Organs Library - PO works for me, in favor of simplicity. The jury's still out on that really.

These both sound wonderful, somehow the most organic sounding recordings you've posted, John.

Thanks!

Randy

Truly superb work on these, John, in every regard.

I even agree with the conducting (unusual for me... lol).

These renderings are also firmly amongst the best I've heard.

Undoubtedly, for both musicality and technicals, this receives a...

Bravo!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thanks for helping to keep the Festival rolling along, John!

The new convolution reverb in ARIA sounds fantastic in these. Using moderation, as you say, with the church pre-set was an excellent decision. The tracks have air, I can feel the space, but the music isn't awash in heavy reverb as happens too often in virtual concert recordings. Good going.

The harpsichord sounds wonderful to me. No exotic Scala File used I take it?--just "out of the box" harpsichord, which, to me, is more than sufficient for a very successful sound.

I'm not the person to judge whether or not you made the oboe sound more like the curved "oboe da caccia" with your EQ work. Sounds great to me, but the subtle tonal differences between oboes or variations of most instruments are pretty much lost on me. I find all sampled instruments to be approximations of the originals anyway, and so I haven't gotten fussy about the differentiations. But it's fun that you wanted to get a more authentic sound appropriate for the music.

And so your experiment at getting the presumably lighter sound of the violoncello piccolo (thank you Wiki again for educating me) seems successful to me - I can certainly hear that it's been EQd to be lighter, more nasal, maybe more viola-like. But I have no idea if the results are more authentic or not. I'm impressed with your desire to simulate these historical instruments though!

The organ sounds wonderful - Both of these mixes are so nicely balanced, John. In this second MP3, you've kept the organ subordinate and supportive as it should be, for instance.

Hmmm, what to call The Garritan Classic Pipe Organs Library - PO works for me, in favor of simplicity. The jury's still out on that really.

These both sound wonderful, somehow the most organic sounding recordings you've posted, John.

Thanks!

Randy
    Wow!

Why thank you, kind sir.

I really do feel I'm beginning to make some progress with the Garritan libraries now.
    The basic techniques of sequencing I've had for some years, but the modern sample libraries allow one to take MIDI mock ups to a whole new level. A lot more artistic skill is required though.

When doing the chorale I had in mind maybe one of Bach's sons playing the little cello as a gifted child.
    Maybe CPE, who knows?.

It gives me great joy to hear, as I write, my wife practising using these tracks.

Thank you, Randy.
    Kind regards,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Truly superb work on these, John, in every regard.

I even agree with the conducting (unusual for me... lol).

These renderings are also firmly amongst the best I've heard.

Undoubtedly, for both musicality and technicals, this receives a...

Bravo!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Double wow!

Thank you very much indeed, David.
    I do think very carefully indeed about the tempo as my next offering will show.

Kind regards,
    John.

Go Back to forum