• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instant Orch Channel outputs not right

Share/Bookmark

Instant Orch Channel outputs not right

Hi, maybe i missed something here..it took me 2 hours to figure out how to assign my instruments to their output channels via cubase mixer...i have done this correctly countless of times with other software... but i got totally thrown off when i found i had to turn OFF the "ambiance button" I know i read something about thi..but can't find the thread.

Now i have the instruments assigned on every other channel except 1/2 and NO effects as a result What is it with this channel, is it exclusive for effects...why does it act as a group channel for FX..??

Thanks for reading

update: this is nuts...its acting normal now.

I wonder what i have done in my last cubase project for all the instruments to show up on the same channel when reverb is switched off.
    Yes i allocated different outputs in the player, plus i activated all outputs in vst instruments.

Oh well.

Re: Instant Orch Channel outputs not right

Quote Originally Posted by superquartet1 View Post
    Hi, maybe i missed something here..it took me 2 hours to figure out how to assign my instruments to their output channels via cubase mixer...i have done this correctly countless of times with other software... but i got totally thrown off when i found i had to turn OFF the "ambiance button" I know i read something about thi..but can't find the thread.

Now i have the instruments assigned on every other channel except 1/2 and NO effects as a result What is it with this channel, is it exclusive for effects...why does it act as a group channel for FX..??...
    ARIA is constructed so that the reverb processed signal of all instruments comes out on that first 1/2 stereo out. What you've described here is exactly what happens if you're using ARIA's reverb.

But note that it's not as if you Have to use ARIA's reverb. The plug-in on the Effects tab can stay on, which is its default, but if you don't have any Send knobs turned up in the Mixer, then there won't be any wet/processed signal summed to that first stereo out.

If you Do want to use ARIA's reverb instead of one of your host program's plug-ins, then it's good to not use slot 1 (set to 1/2) for an instrument. That way you'll have more control over the reverb signal in your project.

But also note that it's the audio out, 1/2, that carries the reverb signal - not slot #1. You're not stuck having any slot in ARIA set to any particular stereo out. So you could still use all ARIA instrument slots if you wanted, assigning them to any of the 16 audio outs you want. You would just have to have two of the instruments set to the same audio out, but that's what you often need anyway if you're doubling a solo instrument with a group patch, for instance.

EDIT: And if you did that, as per my last paragraph, you would indeed have to have the signal of one of the instruments on the same track as the summed reverb signal- and if that doesn't work for you, then follow what I said in the earlier paragraph, and which you said in your post - leave one slot empty and set on 1/2 so that its audio track in your host program will only have the reverb signal, and not an instrument's sound.

The rest of your post I couldn't make sense of - You can't get around audio 1/2 having the wet signal, so that won't change no matter what else you do in your project.

Randy

Thats great thank for your help! its like 24/7 support
    yes it all makes sense now...ignore that last bit..i think i was just repeating myself, everything you've said relates to the same problem.

would it be correct to say that the channel 1/2 acts like a master group channel for all aria instruments, when used with FX?

Quote Originally Posted by superquartet1 View Post
    Thats great thank for your help! its like 24/7 support
    yes it all makes sense now...ignore that last bit..i think i was just repeating myself, everything you've said relates to the same problem.

would it be correct to say that the channel 1/2 acts like a master group channel for all aria instruments, when used with FX?
    That's right. When you use reverb in ARIA, stereo channel 1/2 carries the summed signals of all instruments that have their Send knobs turned up.

If you bounced all of your MIDI tracks to separate Audio tracks, each track for each individual instrument would be dry. Only the bounced 1/2 track would have reverberant signal - and it would be the total of all the processed signals from all ARIA slots.

That may sound more limiting than it is. Something you can still do is automate the level of that FX track, so you can still control the amount of over-all reverb in a project.

People wanting more complete control don't use ARIA's reverb units, but those in their host programs instead. I, for instance, always bounce my MIDI tracks to audio with the reverb in ARIA turned off. Then I use Sends in Sonar to go through a reverb bus, using whatever reverb plug-in I want to use.

Randy

Go Back to forum