• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Piano Poll - Favourite Recording, Soundwise

Share/Bookmark

Piano Poll - Favourite Recording, Soundwise

Ok folks, it\'s time to let your voice to be heard.
    What\'s your favourite piano recording, soundwise. Can be classical, pop, rock, whatever.
    It\'s not samplelibraries we are talking about now, but \"real\" recordings. (mind you, they could be using samples on the recordings...)
    It\'s not the actual song/performance I\'m after, but the piano sound.
    If you could write a short motivation, it would be great!

Re: Piano Poll - Favourite Recording, Soundwise

I thought you\'d never ask!

High Plains, Philip Aaberg. Steinway (Hamburg) digitally recorded, direct to 2 track on Sony 1600. Unbelievable dry and direct sound but at the same time incredible smooth with not a trace of sharpness or harshness. It\'s pure sound. There is no distraction. It is THE piano. Compared to this one all other piano recordings are biting the dust. If I go to other planets I always take it with me. You should too, Worra!

------------
    Alex Cremers

Keith Jarretts Koln Concert.`70 Classic ECM Manfred Eicher recording.Stienways slightly out of tune and the tone that Keith pulls out of it...so musical.

Originally posted by Rich Pell:
    Keith Jarretts Koln Concert.`70 Classic ECM Manfred Eicher recording.Stienways slightly out of tune and the tone that Keith pulls out of it...so musical.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s a Bosendorfer, not a Steinway.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    I thought you\'d never ask!

High Plains, Philip Aaberg. Steinway (Hamburg) digitally recorded, direct to 2 track on Sony 1600. Unbelievable dry and direct sound but at the same time incredible smooth with not a trace of sharpness or harshness. It\'s pure sound. There is no distraction. It is THE piano. Compared to this one all other piano recordings are biting the dust. If I go to other planets I always take it with me. You should too, Worra!

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Alex, could you please contact me at per@biggagiggas.com

Hands down, any trio outing with Keith Jarrett since \"Standards, Vol. 1\", when Jan Erik Kongshaug basically codified what many players want a piano to sound like in a jazz context - a Steinway (American or Hamburg), close-miked, with electronic reverb (the ECM sound). It\'s the reason a lot of us jazz bozos are not satisfied with the current crop of sampled pianos. They\'re too ambient, or they use the wrong piano to begin with. The only sampled piano that comes close is William Coakley\'s Perfect Piano, but the loops kick in after a few seconds and kill the sound. Here\'s hoping Franky brings us closer to the ECM sound with his upcoming Steinway library.

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Rich Pell:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s a Bosendorfer, not a Steinway.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well i just checked the Album(vinyl) and it doesnt mention either.But i`ve read the KJ biography and from what i remember he was not playing his normal piano that night and i thought it was a slightly funky Stienway.whatever he plays he makes sing..Rich

Rudy Van Gelder\'s sound. He mic\'ed a lot of different pianos but they always sounded so warm. Yeah, I hate that word too, but you can always tell it\'s Rudy when you hear the piano.

After that the slighty distorted sound of the old WOR radio station where the first Blue Notes were cut. Like Thelonious\' piano on the Genius of Modern Music recordings. I would love that sound in samples.

I like the one from \"Goodbye Lenin\" by Yann Tierssen pretty much.

Hornsby, Way It Is

I know, I know......but that sound is so \"there\" without eating up the track. I believe it was Bosendorfer in LA somewhere. Yamaha C7 gets most of the way there in real life, but in samples......I haven\'t heard anything yet along those lines...

Go Back to forum