• Register
  • Help

Topic: Nick Drake - River Man

Share/Bookmark

Nick Drake - River Man

The song, "River Man", is from Nick Drake's 1969 LP, "Five Leaves Left". I used what could be the 2004 re-mastered version of the piece, but I have added some discrete "jazzy" piano, using the Garritan Steinway virtual grand.
    I created the animation using iClone 5 PRO.
    Nick had a tragic life and died by drug OD at age 26, in 1974. He was depressed with lousy record sales, he was too shy and introverted to play on stage or tour, he tried, but he gave up and went home. Everybody thought he was great, who'd heard him and he was a great folk guitarist and song writer. Even though everybody told him how wonderful he was, it didn't translate into actual big time success. Yet, before all that happened, he practically wrote his own obituary with the lyrics and songs on the first album, and had a generally dark outlook on life. Today, all this leads to him being regarded as a darkly tragic, yet romantic figure.
    This is not a cover of the tune and you don't really see that many covers by anyone of Nick Drakes songs. But I liked the song enough to play along, discretely, and I thought the GAS blended nicely with the rest of it.

sd cisco

Re: Nick Drake - River Man

Whoa! Did I just see George Clooney?

I notice that you like to use swans in your works, do they symbolize anything?
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Whoa! Did I just see George Clooney?

I notice that you like to use swans in your works, do they symbolize anything?
    ~Rodney
    Yeah, they symbolize Love!

Before I listen I want to say THANK YOU for choosing my favourite song ever.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Whoa! Did I just see George Clooney?...
    HA! I totally saw that too.

I've never heard a post like this here, Sd - Thanks for bringing something totally new to the table. Nice concept, playing the piano along with the original track - Sounds great. And of course your beautiful - swan filled! video production is an eye treat, as always.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Before I listen I want to say THANK YOU for choosing my favourite song ever.
    Fabio;
    You are very welcome, and glad I presented the song that sits at the top of your rankings! I hope you enjoyed the show!

Thank you!
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    HA! I totally saw that too.

I've never heard a post like this here, Sd - Thanks for bringing something totally new to the table. Nice concept, playing the piano along with the original track - Sounds great. And of course your beautiful - swan filled! video production is an eye treat, as always.

Randy
    Thanks again, Randy! Nick Drake was unique completely and awe inspiring too!

take care,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum