• Register
  • Help

Topic: For the Summer Music Festival: Three Piano Preludes

Share/Bookmark

For the Summer Music Festival: Three Piano Preludes

They are here:

http://soundcloud.com/chrismabry/three-piano-preludes

These use the one and only Garritan Authorized Steinway.
    You go, Garritan!

Some of the settings I used are as follows:
    Microphone Position: Classic
    Sustain Resonance: 19
    Sympathetic Resonance: 48
    Ambience: Parlour
    Tuning Type: Equal

Thanks to Randy for getting this started and to all those who have posted and/or listened so far to already make the festival a rousing success!

Re: For the Summer Music Festival: Three Piano Preludes

The piano sounds great, and I really enjoyed the high contrast between these 3 short pieces.

1st is a low key, pleasant introductory piece. 2nd is a pensive, meandering but effective walk around a number of unexpected corners. 3rd is a bit more grounded, but still sprinkled with spontaneous sounding improvisational moments.

Nice!

I feel you could dial the Parlor Ambience down a bit, but then I usually have an atypical preference for dryer recordings. Just mentioning it anyway, since I felt that though I was in a large-ish parlor, I was stuck at the opposite end of the room as a bit of a wall flower.

Thanks for the very interesting music, Chris.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I feel you could dial the Parlor Ambience down a bit, but then I usually have an atypical preference for dryer recordings. Just mentioning it anyway, since I felt that though I was in a large-ish parlor, I was stuck at the opposite end of the room as a bit of a wall flower.

Thanks for the very interesting music, Chris.

Randy
    Hmmm...I dialed down to the Parlor ambience from the Recital Hall ambience which I dialed down from the Concert Hall ambience! But I know what you mean about the Parlor...yes indeed...that Parlor very well could belong to that nutcase on American TV with the silly blond hairdoo who shall remain nameless, couldn't it?

For those who might not know much about Garritan Authorized Steinway, I could have tweaked the settings for these reverbs (called Ambience in GAS) after choosing them so these preludes will just have to be, among whatever else they are, demos of what does seem to be a bit too reverby of a Parlor.

Thanks for listening and I'm glad these 3 were interesting for you.

As you might have gathered from many other of my posts on
    the subject, I'm a great admirer of these tight, concise little
    preludes.

And these are worthy additions... delightfully well done episodes
    that are succinct, to the point, thoroughly satisfy.

With Randy, I might suggest more work on the sound treatment,
    by the way. The first one particularly sounds rather distant to me.

Nice job!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    As you might have gathered from many other of my posts on the subject, I'm a great admirer of these tight, concise little preludes.
    Thanks David! And giving credit where it's due, I would point out to our other readers that when you say "these tight...preludes" that you speaking are of of contributions from others here as these three are the only ones I've posted. Going on the principle that if you like mine, and I like mine and you also lke theirs, I'll be seeking out the other preludes to give them a listen.Interesting comments from you and Randy about the sound of the first prelude...I recorded all of these live to MIDI at the same time and used the same settings for each under Garritan Authorized Steinway. Although I have not looked at the MIDI data, I believe I may have used much more pedal on the first prelude than on the others so perhaps that is why the reverb gets a bit distant.Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Mabry View Post
    Hmmm...I dialed down to the Parlor ambience from the Recital Hall ambience which I dialed down from the Concert Hall ambience!...I could have tweaked the settings for these reverbs...
    Hiya, Mabry - I've pulled out two quotes for giving you some info/feedback:

The Parlor pre-set was the perfect choice to make for these. But choosing a pre-set is just the first step. If you don't do
    something with the settings, you'll always be awash with reverb, because the defaults are very wet. It only takes a few moments, and all you have to do is first try a setting something like maybe 80% Dry to 20% Wet. But always take a listen, see if the results seem reasonable, then you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabry View Post
    ...Interesting comments from you and Randy about the sound of the first prelude...I recorded all of these live to MIDI at the same time and used the same settings for each under Garritan Authorized Steinway. Although I have not looked at the MIDI data, I believe I may have used much more pedal on the first prelude than on the others so perhaps that is why the reverb gets a bit distant...
    With all the other Garritan Libraries, unless you use CC91 which controls the Reverb Send in ARIA, your MIDI data doesn't have anything to do with the Reverb which effects the Audio coming from an instrument, not the MIDI data controlling the instrument.

HOWEVER
    , the Steinway is a special case Garritan Library. The ARIA controls don't work with it in the way they do the other Libraries. The Reverb Send doesn't control the amount of reverb. The Wet/Dry sliders on the Controls page do, as you know.

I understand what you mean about the pedaling. The use of a lot of sustain can result in something a bit like reverb, since it blurs notes together.

But this really gets back to response 1 above, that you need to dial back the Wet/Dry balance. It sounds like you're using the original Steinway version of ARIA. But did you know you can use the piano in the current ARIA? The older ARIA that came with the piano is actually outdated, replaced by the current all-for-one Aria. But the Controls for the piano are the same in both versions of ARIA, so it's not really critical which ARIA you load the piano in. What IS critical is that you always dial back the wet default settings of any reverb pre-set you use.

---Hope this wasn't confusing--Tried to pass on a number of things here.

Randy

Hello Mabry, I enjoyed listening to these! The fluttery, somewhat jazzy, meanderings of the preludes were intriguing, and actually somewhat reminded me of Mr. Rogers (Though, the style could be completely different...it's been many years since I've last seen that show)

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Most enjoyable, the very diversion I needed - so, good work and thanks for posting!

sd cisco

Go Back to forum